I'd bet that TPQ or Seljer will be in to help.

Okay, I'm planning on building/modding some pedals and here are my questions:

for building a pedal, you need a printed circuit board. could you just use a breadboard or would you have to make a circuit board? I've looked up making circuit boards, and it seems wicked hard for a n00b such as me to do. Or... can you completely bypass the board and wire the components together without it?

I guess that's it... really.

If you were curious, I was planning on building the Jawari on General Guitar Gadgets.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=205

edit... possibly connected (via switch) to a fuzz face.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
I usually do it without a printed PCB. I use a perfboard. Dont use a breadboard. Use a perfboard and just connect the components to the right places. PCBs are easiest usually, if you want to spend the $15 to order it. Dont, not use a board. That would be so annoying, and unstable. Soldering connections will break and parts will interfere with eachother if they touch.

BTW, the link doesnt work.

EDIT: heres the link: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_jawari.pdf

And its a very easy build. You can easily do it without buying a PCB. Just use a perfboard.

And just to let you know, that piece that says 10k that has three holes under it, thats a 10k trim pot. Its not on the material list but remember to order it.
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Jul 16, 2006,
PCBs are nice to use, as its a matter of just placing components in the right place and soldering it. But of course it can be a hassle to make them (Generalguitargadgets however sells premade PCBs for all their projects). And you can get a large amount of stuff into a small space without much trouble.

Breadboard http://www.rit.edu/~jdweme/emem203/Temperature%20sensors%20breadboard.jpg is good for making quick prototypes of circuit but its not good for anything permament.

Perfboard is pretty nice http://www.action-electronics.com/grc/cespcb.jpg , you've got a bunch of holes with a little copper section around each, you just have to connect the components between each other (you can just use solder for neighbouring holes or you can run the leads from the components for longer distances)
example of something being build on breadboard: http://www.diystompboxes.com/beginner/build/npnboostbuild.htm

Stripboard also has a bunch of holes like perfboard but the rows of holes are all connected together so some of the connections are allready done for you (in some places you however have to break the trace)
example of something being built on stripboard http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album21

or if the circuit is REALLY simple you can wire the components directly to each other (like point to point wired tube amps) but I haven't seen this done for any guitar effect other than the Rangemaster treble boosters

though sometimes layouts are not available for the method you want to build something with, in that case you have to make up your own, you can often get away by copying the PCB layout to perfboard a lot of the time, however its sometimes better to go from the original schematic

I got breadboards mixed up with perfboards! [/n00b]

thanks for the help guys. I never bothered to look at the GGG .pdf. *doh*

edit: Where do you guys get your perfboard? Mouser?

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at Jul 16, 2006,
Haha. Yea. Just use the perfboard and connect the parts using whats on the PDF file. and remember, that 10k thing with 3 holes under it, is a 10k trim pot, so dont forget to order it. Its not on the parts list.

www.mouser.com
www.smallbearelec.com
www.goldmine-elec-products.com
www.futurlec.com

just a few from memory
Question

I'm having trouble finding a 42TM018 (or)42TL218 on Smallbear... and 1N34A diodes.... and oddly a 10K pot. Can anyone track these down on Smallbear and give me the URLs?

other than those, I'm all set to order those parts.

edit... is trim pot the exact same thing?

Simple rig fan.
Awesome!!!!

Thanks a lot. If this one succeeds, I'll build a fuzz face and add it to the same box.

Seljer and ksmyazz. You guys pwn.

Simple rig fan.

so you could use this right?
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Quote by powerage225

so you could use this right?

That's what I'm planning on ordering. It looks like Perfboard

Simple rig fan.
I'm going to Radio Shack tomorrow to find a few components. I'm going to start a build on my Jawari/Fuzz Face build as soon as I get all of my components/enclosure. Going through everything in my head, I realized that this must be true bypass, or else I couldn't operate the fuzz seperate from the Jawari.

I'm thinking of naming this (like ksmyazz's 4uzz face)... the only thing I can think of is the Jawari fuzz. which is kinda lame. suggestions?

Simple rig fan.
You could wire up all the parts together, but that would just be a pain in the ass and you easily risk short circuiting unless you can mount every component away from each other. You could use a Perfboard but can be a pain in the ass depending on the complexity of the circuit.
Quote by take_it_t
You could wire up all the parts together, but that would just be a pain in the ass and you easily risk short circuiting unless you can mount every component away from each other. You could use a Perfboard but can be a pain in the ass depending on the complexity of the circuit.

Yeah, that makes sense. This isn't too complex, so I guess perfboard'll be perfect. If I was doing something like a Tycobrahe octave/disto, I would definitely order a premade PCB.

Situzz. (Sitar fuzz) haha

I'm likin' it.

Simple rig fan.
Quote by poochy
I'd bet that TPQ or Seljer will be in to help.

Okay, I'm planning on building/modding some pedals and here are my questions:

for building a pedal, you need a printed circuit board. could you just use a breadboard or would you have to make a circuit board? I've looked up making circuit boards, and it seems wicked hard for a n00b such as me to do. Or... can you completely bypass the board and wire the components together without it?

I guess that's it... really.

If you were curious, I was planning on building the Jawari on General Guitar Gadgets.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=205

edit... possibly connected (via switch) to a fuzz face.

im just getting into pedal building and modding now as well

try diystompboxes.com its a great site with tons of info that helped me tons in just 2 weeks.

you can make circuits on bread boards...in fact, that's what most people do. For final project connections you perfboard for simple layouts and for the harder layouts etch your own layouts on copper clad board.
the Situzz will be put on temporary hiatus. There are just too many things that could go wrong. I think I'll just go with the straightforward Tycobrahe octavia for now.

Simple rig fan.
Try the Green Ringer also on the various websites, its a more simple version of an octavia type effect, no transformer or anything like that and only an on/off switch
The Green Ringer sounds good.

Simple rig fan.