Tomorrow Im going to go trade in my distortion pedal (MT-2) for an overdrive pedal. I need to know if my knowledge is correct.

[1]Overdrive goes over distortion to make it sound better. Instead of having a distortion pedal go over the clean channel.
[2]When an overdrive goes over the clean channel you get a crunchy sound.

I have another question. I got a Peavey Studio Pro 112 so its a solid state amp with preamp tube in it. So is overdrive ment to be for tube amps or does it work normally with solid state amps as well?

Im looking for an overdrive that would help me get a thrash metal sound but still has amazing leads. The MT-2 is just too cold and lifeless for me.

Please help me choose one, preferably a pedal made by Boss.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
1) Overdrive goes before distortion to kick the sound up a notch (this varies from pedal to pedals as some can easily just fatten up the sound without boosting it too much)
This works real well on tube amps...on solid states, not as much :/

2) Again, depends on the pedal but you can get a classic rock type crunch.
Lets say a Boss OD-3. Would that get me the thrash sound I want?

If I were to get a distortion pedal, what about the Digitech Death Metal or Metal Master. How are those compared to the MT-2?

For the Metal Master, what does the X-Series Morph do? Is it a gain control?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Last edited by altarofdemise at Jul 16, 2006,
Quote by altarofdemise
Lets say a Boss OD-3. Would that get me the thrash sound I want?

If I were to get a distortion pedal, what about the Digitech Death Metal or Metal Master. How are those compared to the MT-2?

For the Metal Master, what does the X-Series Morph do? Is it a gain control?

not by itself, but on the dirty channel of your amp, put an Ibanez Tubescreamer or a Boss SD-1 and you should be able to get into thrash distortion. Dont buy metal distortion pedals, most suck absolute balls. Use the middle setting on the switch on your lead channel and put a SD-1 or Tubescreamer on it for overdrive and that should give the sound you are after. Also, just a correction, The Studio Pro is not a hybrid, it is fully solid-state as it is completely transistor but it is designed to emulate a tube amp. I have the Bandit, the moel up so they are fully solid-state, tube emulation
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Thanks, but that means I have to buy 2 pedals?

Im thinking about getting the Metal Master. If I get the Death Metal, i'll have a lot of money left over ($50-60) but there is no gain control.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
Last edited by altarofdemise at Jul 16, 2006,
^Do you like the sound of it? Try one out, see what you think.

A metal distortion will sound immensly different from a lowish gain overdrive.

Try a few out, see what you think.

And what amp do you have? If it's not valve, forget an overdrive.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
the best cheap overdrive ive tried is the digitech bad monkey. awesome awesome awesome, but dont know how well it will go over with a ss amp. if you have lots of cash, maybe a visual sound jekyll and hyde pedal- its a overdrive and distortion pedal in one-also awesome, but a bit more expensive.
yeah that bad monkey rocks! But I like to Maxon OD 9 to boost up my distortion!
An overdrive pedal works as a booster for a tube channel of pre-amplification and final tube power amplification, because of the nature of distortions in tube amps, which is totally different from many analog devices. The booster just shifts your signal up to a certain level and in some way adorns it and then the handled signal goes further for tube amplification and distortion. A low signal may not gain completely the the level of nonlinear distortions, so you'll get some crunchy sound or ever clean sound, but amplified. The booster makes the signal more powerful.

An analong device does not amplify anything; it just trims the signal, everything that comes from the guitar. Thus, when the signal is low it also may remain dirty and agressive. So it's no use to shift up the signal, because it is not amplified, but only gets more trimmed again. So you will get a lot of noise and dirt.
I'm going to have to second the J+H. At practice I run it through a bandit 112 and the overdrive definitely gets you into that zepplinish blusey crunch. You can then add the distortion to get into that thrash sound you're looking for. I do this all through the "clean" channel on the bandit, I have yet to experiment with the gain channel, although I would imagine It would throw some feedback at me. Who knows, and always try before buying, my concept of thrash might be a little different than yours.
THe morph on the X series is like a mid coutour, from scooped to heavy mid but it also changes the response of the high and low EQ controll's (I used to own one but traded it for some other pedals) I prefer OD to distortion... OD sounds more natuaral and warm...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Im not looking to spend more than $135 CAN because Im trading in my MT-2 for it and thats all I have. I'll try them out at the store and keep this in mind.

[1]When trying something, use the same amp that you have at home.

Edit: My amp already has a nice distortion, but its a little on the warm side to me (think Guns N' Roses). I want something with more gain so when I palm mute to be that chugga chugga sound (Lamb of God) no matter what but still have the thrash metal sound (Slayer).
Quote by DoTheEvolution
Last edited by altarofdemise at Jul 17, 2006,
^And yet you still haven't said what amp you have...
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
^And yet you still haven't said what amp you have...

probably an MG
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by altarofdemise
I have another question. I got a Peavey Studio Pro 112 so its a solid state amp with preamp tube in it.

He didn't say what kind of amp he has?
^Oh right.

Well, threadstarter, don't get an overdrive pedal, it won't sound nearly as good as it would on a valve amp, get a distortion.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh right.

Well, threadstarter, don't get an overdrive pedal, it won't sound nearly as good as it would on a valve amp, get a distortion.

+1
Sorry if that sounded a little bit harsh, just pointing it out lol
^No it's alright, actually helped me.
Don't be afraid to care"

Alright thanks guys. I went to the store today and tryed them out but first impressions are always biased so I'm going back tomorrow.
Quote by DoTheEvolution