Hey everyone, it's my very first time on this forum.

Dylan played for free in my town (Donostia, Basque Contry) last tuesday night. It took place on the beach nd it was absolutely awesome. I just wanted to know your opinion about Dylan, that's all.

I thought this could be an interesting thing cos dylan is not a rock player but he's one of the biggest artists of the 20th century and he uses a guitar....

So come on guys, switch off your distortion pedal for a second, and write a few lines...

PS: No matter what music you play to listen Dylan. I play a BCRich Mockingbird and a Boss Metal Zone in my punk rock band....... and dylan's still a huge influence for me.
ama ama ama y ensancha el alma. robe iniesta
Well, its cool that he played in your town. I saw him last summmer, he was awesome.

Yeah, hes one of my favourite artists of all time actually. Amazing songwriter. I personally enjoy both his guitar and vocal work, though a lot of people don't. Hes been a huge influence on me.

BTW, everyone read Chronicles: Volume 1. Amazing book,

And about I week ago I received a tape of Dylan playing a 20+ song acoustic set in Bonnie Beecher's apartment in Minnesotia. 12.22.61. Freaking awesome.
That's awesome. A free concert by anybody not named Ashlee Simpson is great.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
I also saw him last summer, it was very good.

I can never get tired of Bob Dylan. If I'm feeling blue, I'll just throw some Dylan on, and it will never fail to cheer me up. And I have every single album, .............illegally.... But I still have them all nonetheless.
Guys... Bob Dylan is not only a "great artist of the 20th century", thats for picasso or fellini... Dylan created Rock. Im not talking about rock & roll, thats something Elvis, chuck Berry and some others used to play. Im talking about Rock: an electrical sound, deep, hard and fastly played, with compromised lyrics and a rebel attitude. Before Dylan and his "Like a Rolling Stone" nothing like this had ever been experienced or heard. This man is responsible for the most important cultural movement of the century, and influenced several generations of artists, like musicians, painters, writers, film directors, actors, etc.

I could spend hours and thousands of words writing about his importance and influence, believe me, I already tried that, and its impossible...
Quote by God_Clapton
Guys... Bob Dylan is not only a "great artist of the 20th century", thats for picasso or fellini... Dylan created Rock. Im not talking about rock & roll, thats something Elvis, chuck Berry and some others used to play. Im talking about Rock: an electrical sound, deep, hard and fastly played, with compromised lyrics and a rebel attitude. Before Dylan and his "Like a Rolling Stone" nothing like this had ever been experienced or heard. This man is responsible for the most important cultural movement of the century, and influenced several generations of artists, like musicians, painters, writers, film directors, actors, etc.

I wouldn't say he did it single-handed-ly. He definately was a big part of it though.

And try not to talk like you know everything. You're stating this as a fact, though I'm positive that theres plenty of people out there that don't agree with you.

And another thing,

I could spend hours and thousands of words writing about his importance and influence, believe me, I already tried that, and its impossible

That doesn't really make sense. You said you could spend hours on it, and then you said it was impossible. I know what you're trying to say, but I didn't exactly receive it the way I should have.
Quote by robeiniesta
Hey everyone, it's my very first time on this forum.

Dylan played for free in my town (Donostia, Basque Contry) last tuesday night. It took place on the beach nd it was absolutely awesome. I just wanted to know your opinion about Dylan, that's all.

I thought this could be an interesting thing cos dylan is not a rock player but he's one of the biggest artists of the 20th century and he uses a guitar....

So come on guys, switch off your distortion pedal for a second, and write a few lines...

PS: No matter what music you play to listen Dylan. I play a BCRich Mockingbird and a Boss Metal Zone in my punk rock band....... and dylan's still a huge influence for me.

Dylan is playing his guitar again?!!?!?!?!!? He stopped playing the keyboards? This is great news, I'm going to see him August 12th. Did he sound good? Could you recognize his songs? Explain more!

Dylan is by far my most favorite solo artist ever. He is so amazing in everything that he does, I'm basically obsessed with his music. I keep trying to listen to other things but I keep coming back to listening to Bob Dylan. I recently got his 1966 live at RAH CD and it's awesome. I love it.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
Last edited by Sherman901 at Jul 17, 2006,
^^I think he is just trying to explain the amazing entity that is Bob Dylan. He's just going a little overboard with his explanation.

And God_Clapton, I don't think you have heard every single song from before Highway 61 Revisited came out (1965). So you can't state that Like A Rolling Stone created rock.

What about The Who? One of rock n roll's most aggressive acts. Their first three singles came out before Highway 61 Revisited, and I believe that The Who were more rebellious, more electric, and also faster.

And about Bob Dylan being electric... we all know that he eventually started moving to a more rock style in his music. But I would say he is more of a folk musician than a rocker.

Bob Dylan was great, as Arlo Guthrie once said: "Songwriting is like fishing, throw your line in and hope you catch something... but anyone downstream from Bob Dylan has ever caught anything."
Quote by Sherman901
Dylan is playing his guitar again?!!?!?!?!!? He stopped playing the keyboards? This is great news, I'm going to see him August 12th. Did he sound good? Could you recognize his songs? Explain more!

Dylan is by far my most favorite solo artist ever. He is so amazing in everything that he does, I'm basically obsessed with his music. I keep trying to listen to other things but I keep coming back to listening to Bob Dylan. I recently got his 1966 live at RAH CD and it's awesome. I love it.

wow..... though i wouldn't like to disappoint you.... the truth is that he spent the whole concert (over 90 minutes) on the keboards BUT it was still great. trust me, I aslo think that he MUST play guitar but i enjoyed a lot anyway. and there are 2 crazy guitarrist in his band so you wont miss the noise of the strings.....

he obviously "covers" his songs so he can sing them now that he is 65 but they sound great too, and personally I like artists that change their songs in some way..... just imagine how boring it would be for him to play "maggie's farm" exactly like the recorded version for dozens of years in thousands of concerts.....

and finally, I know that most of times, the most popular song by your favourite artists doesn't use to be your favourite but..... man, when they played like a rolling stone was by far the best moment of the concert.... they played ****ing loud and dylan just vomited his lungs..... awesome, i'll remember that performance fot my lifetime

you'll enjoy the concert, that's for sure....
ama ama ama y ensancha el alma. robe iniesta
^ Last summer when Dylan and his band played Like A Rolling Stone and All Along The Watchtower as an encore. It was the greatest moment of my life.

Also I noticed that he does tend to play some songs completely different from the studio recordings. It is really quite refreshing.

And IMO when I saw him, the best part of the show (besides the encore) was Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.

When I saw him he played:
Maggie's Farm
Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You
I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
Lay, Lady, Lay
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
Moonlight
Highway 61 Revisited
Shelter From The Storm
Cry A While
Just Like A Woman
Honest With Me
The Times They Are A-Changin'
Floater (Too Much To Ask)
Summer Days

encore
Like A Rolling Stone
All Along The Watchtower
How can you not love bob dylan?

Sounded like a great night, ive always heard mixed reviews about his live shows.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Can you actually understand what he says?
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
Free isn't a bad price at all

I'm glad you had the opportunity. I appreciate him as a songwriter and a major influence upon almost everyone, but as a singer he's somewhat of a trainwreck. Regardless, i'm glad you got a chance to see him
Quote by Jesse Mrau

Bob Dylan was great, as Arlo Guthrie once said: "Songwriting is like fishing, throw your line in and hope you catch something... but anyone downstream from Bob Dylan has ever caught anything."

that's a great quote, i may just use it in my profile now
i saw bob about two years ago, it was great fun although at the time i didn't know many of his songs. it did bother me that he didn't really try to sing the words, just sort of grunt them out, because in the old days he really did sing and i love his voice. i personally hope he goes back to playing guitar live and we get some variation in arrangements, rather than all straight electric country/blues. but he's my second favorite artist ever after the beatles, everything he did up to 1970 is gold, and a lot of stuff afterwards is too.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me