I've searched all over the internet including this site and there is a huge debate going on about playing with pinky anchored or unanchored. With pinky anchored I can play faster but I don't have as good maneuverability. The reason I don't play as fast unanchored is the problem that my picking stroke is way too big, which slows me down. I don't know how to fix this without anchoring. Ultimately I would like to play unanchored as I get more maneuverability and less tension but only if I can develope a smaller more controlled stroke unanchored. How can I do this?
Quote by aff501
I've searched all over the internet including this site and there is a huge debate going on about playing with pinky anchored or unanchored. With pinky anchored I can play faster but I don't have as good maneuverability. The reason I don't play as fast unanchored is the problem that my picking stroke is way too big, which slows me down. I don't know how to fix this without anchoring. Ultimately I would like to play unanchored as I get more maneuverability and less tension but only if I can develope a smaller more controlled stroke unanchored. How can I do this?

Practice unanchored and don't play anchored no matter what (no matter if your tempted). I'm guessing you're not in a band so having a short time when you're playing akwardly won't hurt you.
I had to work this same problem, I never got into anchoring though, my stroke was just too wide. I saw all these fast players had a finger or two on the body and I thought "what the **** why didn't anyone teach me that" and I tried to do it but I hurt too bad and I felt strange little pangs of pain inside my hand so I said **** it and decided to go back to 40 bpm and go stroke....by stroke.....by stroke.......by stroke......by stroke and now it's pretty comfortable. Try it real slow picking on 1 string, when you downstroke, play so that after you attack the string you're practically already laying on the other side. And when you try to skip strings at 40 bpm it will trip you out how many little movements your hand will be making as you move over to the next string. The weirdest move I noticed was when I was outside picking and going from say the 3rd string to the 4th or you know just going down one string. Becuase you know, how far do you go past the string before you start to attack it again? I cant explain you just have to try it good luck!
i use my ring finger to anchor..just started doin it a while ago after seein mick thompson do it in a vid...thought it woudl help and it has..but i think it is better if you dont anchor..MORE SKILLZORZ...i think if you do what dalilama said, the metrinom thing should work for ya..i think
R.I.P. DIMEBAG Put this in your sig to keep DIMEBAG's memory alive

Silvertone Revolver guitar
B.C. Rich Warlock Deluxe Series
Dixon Acoustic
Silvertone Smart III Electric Guitar Amp
according to a video by dave mustaine, unanchoring is faster, but hell i shouldn't talk i do it all the time, it's kind of cheating, it's a short cut, and short cut's are NEVER good when learning something
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Petrucci and Malmsteen anchor their pinkies.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
the way some people go on about 'tension' youd think a small decrease in speed would mean the second coming of jesus straight out your ass or something. unless you NEED to hit 18 bps straight up picking for a song, go with what feels right to you. i hate to make examples out of famous people, but hell, look at marty friedman's picking hand-it looks like a monkey's chew toy, but he gets by just fine.
if you want to practice not anchoring, just lift your pinky up and work with a metronome, very slowly. practice lots of string skipping, as accuracy is probably the hardest thing with a non anchored hand i think. try doing the standard 3 per string pattern, but skip systematically between strings, like 1-4-2-5-3-6 or whatever.
This isn't going to be good... *sigh* if you want to play faster DON'T anchor if you've ever seen Petrucci when he plays you can really see the tension in his face when he gets anywhere close or over 15 nps. Just becaus he's doing it don't go, "HE ANCHORS?! ZOMG I'LL DO IT TOO" look at some other people who don't anchor and see the results. Just because feels more comfortable doesn't mean it's better. Man... this is going to be a HUGE ass debate like last time...
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Last edited by Godly Moose at Jul 16, 2006,
lol we dont have to turn this into a debate. just let him decide for himself whether he wants to anchor or not. if you do decide to anchor, ts, just make sure to practice as slowly as you can with as little movement as possible.
I anchor with my forearm and only when I need to I anchor, I don't really pay attention, so when I need to I do but when I play fast I don't.
I am highly against anchoring.

It is unhealthy, it builds up tension, imagine your pinky like a crutch.

It's better in the long term without anchoring.

However I rest my palm on the bottom strings when I don't play the bottom strings.

I also rest my forearm on the body.
I put my pinky on my pickup ring.

I'll practise unanchored from now on.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll go unanchored because anchored builds up so much tension and I can't maneuver as well. I'll just practice getting my stroke smaller and faster.
when im playing individual notes that arent really fast i anchor it, otherwise its not
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i change it depending on what im doing.

You and the rest of those too lazy to build unanchored picking technique. It defeats the purpose of learning to play unanched if you fall back into an old habit because it's "too hard" to do.
Quote by Invictious
If you have to, chop off your pinky.

And again, post pics ifyou do that.

lol, or you can duct tape i to your ither fingers or something like that