im looking to buy a cheap distortion pedal but im not really sure of what one
im thinking under 50 bucks but I've never bought any pedal before so I dunno if 50 bucks is a totally useless ammout of money 2 buy a pedal.
I just wanna use it to make my guitar sound super loud and distortiony (is that a word?) cas my amp (roland jazz chorus 50) does have a distortion level button but it doesnt get super heavy metal kinda distortion. if anyone has any suggestions plz post...and if this is totally stupid I challenge all of u 2 flame with correct grammer just for the hell of it

edit: ive been lookin around and im thinkin boss DS-1.........looks awsome 2 me
my rig
Squire strat affinity series, chrome red
Fender jazz bass, sunburst
custom made bass, natural (forget who made it)
Roland jazz chorus 50
Boss DS-1 distortion pedal
and I only use purple dunlop tortex picks
Last edited by jonny and tom at Jul 16, 2006,
kk ill google them thx
my rig
Roland jazz chorus 50
Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal for like 90$, really good deal, for the most extreme metal. You can control the amount of distortion by the volume knob on your guitar.
that sounds kool but i dont really want extreme metal dist. I just want more than my amp has
and im likin the DS-1 alot right now as lots of ppl say digitech is crap...
my rig
Roland jazz chorus 50
Quote by KVX10 KING V
Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal for like 90$, really good deal, for the most extreme metal. You can control the amount of distortion by the volume knob on your guitar.

Are you stupid, its like 50$ in musicians friend!!
If you want real heavy sounding distortion just out of your amp try down tuning, but if you really want a pedal I'd go with the boss ds-1 (granted I've never played through a ds-1) I do own a boss os-2 distortion pedal that I'm satisfied with. My best advise would be to test out what ever pedal you're thinking of buying or if you're buying online see if there is a demo option which will usualy be on the site of the company that makes the pedal.
Quote by pinkhaze29
Are you stupid, its like 50$ in musicians friend!!

wow! ppl are flaming with correct grammer, amazing!
my rig
Roland jazz chorus 50
so Ive been looking at reviews for the BOSS DS-1 and it seems its not really a heavy distortion pedal unlike digitech's grudge/hothead/heavy metal pedals. Anyone say different???
my rig
Roland jazz chorus 50
with something like a jazz chorus you should get a distortion pedal equally as good.

look at maybe a Damage Control 'Demonizer' or 'Womanizer'

or teh Jekyll and Hyde.

considerably higher than 50$ (300,300, 150)

but invest and you have a good combination of distortion and clean.
Quote by pinkhaze29
digitech grunge or boss ds-1

I have the DS 1 and dont like it...not nearly enough distortion in it....im modding it this week to fix that though.

i was told here to stay away from the grunge and to go with a DigiTech DF-7 Distortion Factory.

I like the sounds much better on it and the distortion is lots better than the DS1.

so unless you can do the Keeley mod....go tor the DF7

http://www.geocities.com/overdrivespider/DS1/dsmods.htm#intro
i use a the Boss Mega Distortion. It has separate overdrive and distorion knobs so you can dial in all kinds of stuff. It gets real heavy, but it will sing the blues too. for $80, its a good versatile pedal
Jekyll and Hyde
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Boss Heavy Metal Pedal, may be hard to find but it'll give you the sound you want
The DS-1 sucks major. The distortion is muddy and fuzzy.

It actually gave me a really sweet smells like teen spirit tone because the muddy fuziness gave it kind of a Cobain grunge tone.

But a Boss Metal zone will get you that tone and much more.

I just love my metal zone I play everything from Van Halen to Megadeth on it.
DS-1 man!
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
If you want a more overdrive then distortion I would check out the Digitech Bad Monkey. It's a tube screamer clone and a great pedal for the money. I think it's about 40 bucks.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Ihearthetfield
The DS-1 sucks major. The distortion is muddy and fuzzy.

It actually gave me a really sweet smells like teen spirit tone because the muddy fuziness gave it kind of a Cobain grunge tone.

thats because cobain used a DS-1.

but as far as your pedal choice, the ds-1 is definately not what you're looking for. It is not a heavy distortion pedal at all. i have both the ds-1 and the digitech grunge from my early days and i like the grunge a lot better. it is waaay heavier distortion and i liked the tone a lot more than the ds-1 (although i did find uses for the ds-1).

the grunge isnt that versatile, there's only a couple different types of sounds you're gonna be able to get from it. but its pretty good, especially for the sound you're trying to get and your price range (its $40)
ok thx guys, now im starting to lean away from the DS-1...but the DS-1 seems to be the most common distortion pedal to buy. Im going to a used music store today to look at all the pedals and im goin 2 long and mcquade and or tommy lee tomorrow to see theirs.
I dunno what ill buy yet but I think I might try that mod on the DS-1 if I get it
my rig
Roland jazz chorus 50
Quote by bbsbass
thats because cobain used a DS-1.

but as far as your pedal choice, the ds-1 is definately not what you're looking for. It is not a heavy distortion pedal at all. i have both the ds-1 and the digitech grunge from my early days and i like the grunge a lot better. it is waaay heavier distortion and i liked the tone a lot more than the ds-1 (although i did find uses for the ds-1).

the grunge isnt that versatile, there's only a couple different types of sounds you're gonna be able to get from it. but its pretty good, especially for the sound you're trying to get and your price range (its $40)

O wtf im getting the grundge idk if its crap i wont jump on it 2 hard
my rig
Roland jazz chorus 50
ya I listened to clips from both of the pedals, grudge won
none of the stores ive went to have them so i guess ill oerder them off musiciansfriend.com
thx for ur help guys
my rig
Roland jazz chorus 50