this may sound stupid or wutever but i was wonderin... i have a fender hot rod deluxe amp... its all tube... it has distortion on it but its not that much. i was wonderin if i can use a distortion pedal with it to get some more distortion.. i just wasnt sure if a distortion pedal would work with a tube amp... if anyone knows plz help
My Boss DS1 pedal sounds amazing through the clean channel on a tube amp.
Probably the best bet for using a distortion pedal through a tube amp would be the Boss DS-1. It's the only distortion I've heard that sounds decent through a tube amp. Otherwise, get an overdrive pedal.
Whatever pedal you get, use it on the clean channel of the amp...not the drive channel. I have a DS-1 that sounds just fine on my Hot Rod Deville, and I also have a Digitech "Bad Monkey" tube overdrive pedal and I love the way it sounds through my amp.

I recommend using an overdrive rather that a distortion pedal.
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
An overdrive pedal will be better for tube amps. They push the tubes harder so the distortion is more natural.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^^which OD pedal would you recomend then
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.
^^^That depends on your style of music. That said, im probably not the most qualified to help with pedal suggestions. I'm a guitar straight to amp kind of guy.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Get an Xotic Ac Booster. I got one not too long ago. Worth every penny. EXTREMELY versatile. And though it may sound far fetched, when they say "It sound good in every setting"....well lets just say its not very far from the truth.
1. tube screamer
2. dod9 i think it is...
3. ds-1...
4. rat if u like the sound of it..
5. MOD THE AMP! ^_^
Threadstarter, a distortion pedal will work fine, but an overdrive pedal will sound more natural, try some out and see the differences.

Quote by Erc
Get an Xotic Ac Booster. I got one not too long ago. Worth every penny. EXTREMELY versatile. And though it may sound far fetched, when they say "It sound good in every setting"....well lets just say its not very far from the truth.

I looked around for one of those a while ago, pretty damn expensive though! How heavy can it get? And generally, what's it sound like?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Actually, everyone is wrong. My father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate had this one friend, and his friend's friends had a tube amp and a distortion pedal, and there was a big explosion, and he's never been seen since.
would you use the overdrive pedal on the overdrive channel or the 2 tones conflicting wouls sound bad?
^^^That depends on the equipment you have and the tone you're after, but it should be okay to use an overdrive pedal over an overdrive channel.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by Erc

+1

I love the AC booster. It can go from singing blues tones, all the way up to full out distortion. You can use it as a tone tightener, clean booster, overdrive booster, distortion pedal, or even like an EQ. I really like it, and I'm only just learning all the nuances of what it can do. True bypass too, so it doesn't rob anything when it's sitting idle.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids