Can you replace the neck pickup of a telecaster with a normal single coil pickup?
No, the tele pickup is smaller than a normal single coil. There are pickups you can buy that are voiced more like standard single coils, as well as som that look like thinner singles.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
no no matter what you do it will sound bad.... thats the answer your gonna get from some of the guys in here.

now for a real answer, yes, if you trim the pickguard around the pup a little. but the real thing is why?? teles neck pups are the lipstick and they are specially voiced to give that twangy sound you get from a tele. id say your best bet to keep that tele sound is to just upgrade to a better lipstick.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by metalmilitia74
no no matter what you do it will sound bad.... thats the answer your gonna get from some of the guys in here.

now for a real answer, yes, if you trim the pickguard around the pup a little. but the real thing is why?? teles neck pups are the lipstick and they are specially voiced to give that twangy sound you get from a tele. id say your best bet to keep that tele sound is to just upgrade to a better lipstick.

They aren't really considered lipstick pickups. Lipstick pickups are like the ones in Danelectros, and Strats like SRV's Charlie.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
well thats what i always called them and have always heard them called. but whatever, everyone in here knows more then me anyway.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
StratRat is right. However, I do agree with metalmilitia that the tele neck pickup is very unique, and has killer tone.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

Quote by metalmilitia74
well thats what i always called them and have always heard them called. but whatever, everyone in here knows more then me anyway.

I thought they were lipsticks too until I found out they were just normal pickups with a metal cover.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
So, I'm hearing alot of mixed responces, whats the verdict?

Can i do it or not?
Not unless you cut the pickguard to fit.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Electronically it's fine, it will work. You just need some adjustment with the pickguard.

Regarding metal militia and the neck pickup, it's not the twangy one, the bridge pickup has the legendary twang. And yes, it's not a true lipstick pickup.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
well on my tele its the neck pup that has the twang. so i just always assumed it was a lipstick, because the guy who used to do my wiring always called it that. but i would listen to christian. he seems to be the best electrical guy on this forum.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
If your going to switch it out buy a Lindy Fralin Neck pup for the tele.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Alright, Thanks for all the quick and informative responces, I am not actually going to do it, i was wondering about it because i was contemplating buying a telecaster.