Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
i was told that the alder in the standard hurts the tone, and that the plain top is better because of the lack of the alder. the only thing that is stopping me from ordering the plain top is that i am not sure there is much of a difference, and i would rather have the flame top that appears on the standard(i will be getting Cherry Sunburst of course)
Get the standard the plain top has been known to be of bad quality.

However an Agile would probably be the best guitar for you it's a les paul copy but solid mahogany like a gibson.

Also even though solid mahogany is best the alder/mahogany didn't ruin the tone on my guitar it just sounds different not worse alder and mahogany will give it's own sound. Have you tried them out yet?If you can try them see which one feels and sounds good to you.

All in all the agile would be the best guitar the standard would be ok and the plain top is probably something to be carefull about.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jul 16, 2006,
no, i havnt had the chance to try them out. i do not have a guitar shop anywhere near me lol. it really sucks
tools! plain top is the best! it's solid mahagony, instead of alder/mahagony, so it sounds better, just becuase its cheaper doesnt mean its worse!
Quote by fridayfan13
I am in the process of buying a epiphone les paul, im just curious, what version is the best

Epiphone Les Paul Plain Top

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

Epiphone Les Paul Standard

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341

well, i normally don't respond ot these threads but I will today to keep the threadstarter from making a bad choice, get the standard, I played both at GC and the Plain Top looks nice and I prefer the look of that over the flame and was set on buying the plain. I palyed both and the standard was worth at least $100 more than the plain just because of the quality. The plain top quality was horrible if you ask me and no wonder it was $100 cheaper, I got a standard and put a SD Jazz in the neck and a SD JB in the bridge and it sounds amazing. maybe it was just the ones that I played but from my experience get the standard over the plain
Gear:
Fender '72 Telecaster Custom Black
Fender American Strat Chrome Blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry (Jazz/JB)
Takamine EG530SSC (acoustic)
VOX AD50VT
Ibanez Tube Screamer
E-H Deluxe Memory Man
Quote by slugger21
well, i normally don't respond ot these threads but I will today to keep the threadstarter from making a bad choice, get the standard, I played both at GC and the Plain Top looks nice and I prefer the look of that over the flame and was set on buying the plain. I palyed both and the standard was worth at least $100 more than the plain just because of the quality. The plain top quality was horrible if you ask me and no wonder it was $100 cheaper, I got a standard and put a SD Jazz in the neck and a SD JB in the bridge and it sounds amazing. maybe it was just the ones that I played but from my experience get the standard over the plain

it prolly was, i heard epis can be sketchy.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Get an agile. I'm not a fan of low end epis. Their high end is great though (elitists are godly)

x2 im a fender guy, but you should eventually get an elitist
I love plain tops, hate quilt tops.
Flames are somewhere in the middle.
Quilts make me sick.

I hear good things about that Epi plain top, the price is nice too.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Arlabester
x2 im a fender guy, but you should eventually get an elitist
I have an elitist and it could go face to face with any gibson les paul standard. I changed it's neck pickup to a 57' classic and it's bridge to a Seymour Duncan JB and it sounds sooooo good.

They are made out of just as good wood as the 2000$ gibsons.

I think we better buy all the elitists we can right now because gibson might end up like fender and cancel their elitist line because it started matching up with their higher end american made instruments
Quote by Cmogi10
I love plain tops, hate quilt tops.
Flames are somewhere in the middle.
Quilts make me sick.

I hear good things about that Epi plain top, the price is nice too.

Me too I always thought quilt tops were horrible ugly I don't know why.

A plain top LP is so gorgeous. My elitist has this see through tobbacco sunburst finish and you can see all this nice wood grain. They make elitists out of really nice wood.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
I have an elitist and it could go face to face with any gibson les paul standard. I changed it's neck pickup to a 57' classic and it's bridge to a Seymour Duncan JB and it sounds sooooo good.

They are made out of just as good wood as the 2000$ gibsons.

I think we better buy all the elitists we can right now because gibson might end up like fender and cancel their elitist line because it started matching up with their higher end american made instruments

lol yeah, but if we mow too many lawns, we'll end up with too many texas's, which in turn is too many bushes
yea if i were you id try out all the plaintops you can get your hands on, and buy the best one. the flame looks corny-i think quilt is worse. i have a flame top guitar that i kind of regret just because of the looks
^^ i agree i have one and i love it and its beautiful of course, but thats one youd defo have to try because lots of people dislike the 3rd pickup cos its gets in the way of their picking
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
Quote by Guitar_Joe
^^ i agree i have one and i love it and its beautiful of course, but thats one youd defo have to try because lots of people dislike the 3rd pickup cos its gets in the way of their picking

which one the neck or bridge? at the end of the month im going to buy one at www.gak.co.uk.

It says classic pickups, i assume there humbuckers?
neither bridge or neck, the black beauty has 3 humbuckers theres one in between the usual neck and bridge pickups, thats the one that some dislike, they dont dislike it because of sound quality (it a fairly good pickup but most people change them for better ones anywho) they dislike it because it gets in the way of their picking, i have no trouble with the pick up and it allows me to have a wider range of versatilty obviously, i love the guitar but would still recomend trying before you buy
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
Last edited by Guitar_Joe at Jul 17, 2006,
i think the the gold hardware is more than a little tacky, but aesthetics is really up to you. id also try it out and see if you like the sound of the mid humbucker- ive never tried it, and its probably alot different from the normal HH mid position.
played both today, standard kicked the plain tops ass.
Founder of the Cas is God Club. PM me to Join.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

^ Im his favorite 2006er.

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
If you can find an all mahogany Standard or Classic, go for it. Heck, even the alder/mahogany combo doesn't sound bad. Just try them out and pick a good one. Some can be low quality, some can be absolutely amazing.

Also, in my opinion, the regular LP Custom for $600 is just as good as the Black Beauty for $700.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Are Epi's better feeling and sounding than Stagg's? I went to a shop and the guy had an epi sign but quit carrying them he said Staggs are made in the same factory and are the same guitars with altered shapes. Staggs are a POS imo Ive tried them but cant find an epi to try.