ok so in teh past week or so ive been going through a litte rut, where i havent been as interested in guitar as i had been. this happens from tiem to time, every 6 weeks or so. but after the last couple of days of watching several new DVDS (derek trucks and Pulse included ), there is absolutely nothing more i want to do than play guitar. bad timing, since i have to work tomorrow . but its been a complete opposite. while guitar has always ruled my life, ive has all these funny ups and downs, of less- obsessive behaviour to having my fingers run phrases and scale patterns in my sleep subconsiously. am i the only one who goes through these crazy moon phases
Naw. I do to.

What i suggest is to learn another instrument. How about bass? It's normal to get a little bored of something, so just add a variation to it, and you'll just fall back on the other one when you get bored.

Jason A.
Happens to me every once in a while too. Just take a break, try some new music...watch DVDs :P:

I try to learn something new or write my own material.
yea dude that happens to me alot

and it sucks cuz then when i DO want to play im at work and then when i get home im just like "meh" and ill go play some san andreas instead

but youll get over it
Ah

Ha
im sorta the same...i play till my fingers feel liek they r guna fall off then i take a "one day break" that turns into a week then i go bak..its just laziness/procrastination.
i'm pretty sure anyone who really loves guitar will go thru a version of what you are, at some point. it happens to me all the time. the same with songwriting. sometimes i'll pump out three songs in three days straight. other times, i won't write a song for a week to 3 weeks. Once i even went a month without putting more than one or two riffs down on paper. Don't worry about it. That's life, man. Just enjoy guitar while you enjoy it, u know?
Quote by Nor'Easterbass
i'm pretty sure anyone who really loves guitar will go thru a version of what you are, at some point. it happens to me all the time. the same with songwriting. sometimes i'll pump out three songs in three days straight. other times, i won't write a song for a week to 3 weeks. Once i even went a month without putting more than one or two riffs down on paper. Don't worry about it. That's life, man. Just enjoy guitar while you enjoy it, u know?

heh yeah actually its turned out kind of useful. over the past week or so when ive been playing less i wrote about 5 really great songs, just lyrics (more poems actually), and in the last 36 hours ive turned out 3 or 4 great riffs. its perfect, just gotta conect the dots and its been a very productive few weeks
I feel that when I'm not playing as often as I normally do, the times that I DO get to play I am more creative, expressive and have more ideas. The largest thing holding my back from playing was work, and I quit yesterday so thats out of the picture.

Good work on the songs, any change you'll record them and put 'em up on UG for us to hear?
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Well my mood right now is to not record any more, since audacity keeps shifting everything over by a few points of a second. Raaaaah.

I used to get what you have, but now if I'm not playing electric, I'm playing classical, or writing, or recording, or playing bass and piano... there's enough musical things to keep me occupied when I don't feel like playing guitar.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out