I just started learning to play guitar a couple weeks ago and have decided to go strait to tab. I have no intention of starting my own band, or going to school for it, but just would like to learn enough to play around at cookouts and camping. I am into country, classic rock, and some newer rock. Are there any songs that someone would suggest starting off on? I have played around enough that I can play the intro to Stairway to Heaven and am working on playing Leave the Pieces by the Wreckers. Any good advice would be appreciated. I can't believe that it took me 23yrs to start playing, this thing is fun!
Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton is a good song to begin with. Takes some practice, but simple enough.
well most country songs can be played as just a few chords so long as you sing along. check out some garth brooks, kenny chesney, clay walker, tracey lawrence, and dierks bentley. i myself also like playing phil vassar songs on guitar even though they are largely performed on a piano. you can do some really nice arrangements from his piano work.