Alright, all I need to know is if this amp would be able to be heard playing with a band.
Right now I'm using a really ****ty 10 watt amp, and I have to have EVERYTHING turned up just to be able to hear it a little over the bass and the drums.

So I'm on the look for a new one..
it'd be a stretch, but you could probably do it (depending ony our bassist and drummer, really). I wouldn't go for a spider, however. Maybe a Roland Cube ora Vox Valvetronix.
ok, it might like geetarnoob said, but id go for a 75 watt spider 20 times better.
Quote by Brandon860
hey man, any person with a Wayne's World avatar I have all the faith in the world in

Founder of the "Taco Bell > You" PM me to join.
are you kidding me? i have a line 6 spider II 15 watt. it screams. i can't even begin to tell you how good a 30 watt would sound.

you probably know about the effects that come with it. it's a great amp. line 6 makes some of the best solid state amps anywhere. go with it!
heh... this gonna get flamed i think

expect people to say "wtf?? spider??? get a tube combo"

spider will do for you if you like it, although many dont
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by totenkopfSG
are you kidding me? i have a line 6 spider II 15 watt. it screams. i can't even begin to tell you how good a 30 watt would sound.

you probably know about the effects that come with it. it's a great amp. line 6 makes some of the best solid state amps anywhere. go with it!

Wrong. I had a 120 watt, when you put the volume past like 4 it gets all clipped and shnarsty sounding (not that the sound is that great to begin with - it sucks and sounds very fake).

Save more money, get a tube amp. You'll thank me.
I picked up the 30w spider so i could have something to play at work with.... in my opinion, it's not worth the price of dynamite to blow it to hell.. it's too sterile, the effects suck, and the tone is a joke... seriously... get a cube or something... hell anything.. just not that amp..
B-52 AT-100 2X12 amp
Yamaha
gibson LP
Epi LP
Strat Knockoff
GNX3000
TS7 Tubscreamer
Various other pedals
Tube tube tube tube tube tube tube tube tube tube tube tube tube tube tube tube tube tube

A 15 watt tube amp will get twice as loud as a 100 watt solid state let me just put it that way.
Quote by totenkopfSG

im afraid you couldn't be more wrong

but yeah, like everyone else is saying, go tube or look into a cube
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Ihearthetfield

A 15 watt tube amp will get twice as loud as a 100 watt solid state let me just put it that way.

Erm, no, a 15watt valve amp is twice (or 2.5 times) as loud as a 15watt solid state amp.
But yea, go valve.

Or if your price range isn't too high, get a Roland Cube.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
1. **** tube. No one NEEDS a tube amp to play at home. SS amps DO NOT suck. They're simply different. He needs a small affordable (everyone seems to miss that part)amp that can get over the rest of the band.

2. guitarpunk21 - ANY spider will suck ass in a band situation. If you're going to play in a band, look for a MINIMUM of a 50W SS amp. You WILL be heard with a 30W ss amp, but the volume will still have to be dimed, and it will still sound like shìt. You need more power in order to be heard CLEARLY. 50W should be the bare minimum to play with a band.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
^my god someone with common sense. he obviousely wants something cheap.. why do you think hes going for 30 watt amp. he probably cant afford a tube combo right now guys so stop suggesting a tube amp! to threadstarter... i would suggest you get a vox ad50vt. its $350 i believe and you'll easily be heard
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star
^my god someone with common sense. he obviousely wants something cheap.. why do you think hes going for 30 watt amp. he probably cant afford a tube combo right now guys so stop suggesting a tube amp! to threadstarter... i would suggest you get a vox ad50vt. its $350 i believe and you'll easily be heard

Since when can you not get a tube amp for 350?

EDIT:
Such as:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Pro-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480861
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V8-Palomino-5W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487825
Last edited by mattyyy at Jul 17, 2006,
you could, but it wont be anything special

spiders suck, please stay clear of them

like i said those arent anything special, the fender is a one channel amp, that you have to crank in order to get any gain, and even then the gain is minimal, i know i'v played one. the crate is 5 watts! i doubt you'll be heard over a drummer with a 5 watt amp
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Jul 17, 2006,
You can get a pretty barebones tube amp for $350. Yeah, it will sound good, but share EQ, limited inputs and ouputs, not enough gain, etc.... For the same money, you can get a kickass solid state amp that's got all the bells and whistles (Peavey Bandit comes to mind...).

And of the 2 mentioned, the Fender would be the only one capable of being loud enough to play with a band. And personally, I think those cheap Fender tube amps sound like **** compared to most SS amps. They have good clean tones, but that's it. And when they're turned up to jam volume, there is no more clean tone, because you're driving the piss out of the power tubes.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jul 17, 2006,
It's single channel. Would probably be ok, but would require a distortion pedal, which IMO defeats the purpose of getting a tube amp.

Quote by Crunchmeister
It's single channel. Would probably be ok, but would require a distortion pedal, which IMO defeats the purpose of getting a tube amp.

It has a gain knob, it would be alright.
It wouldn't require a distortion pedal? Maybe an overdrive if it wasn't enough gain?
Well, what about if you need to switch to a clean tone? That amp will do 1 tone only - either clean or dirty, or something in between.

The fact is, unless you can afford to get a tube amp that has all the gain you need without requiring external pedals and has more than 1 channel so you can get clean and distorted tones, you're shooting yourself in the foot. For the matginal tonal improvement of having an entry-level tube amp, you're shooting yourself in the foot in terms of functionality and versatility.

IMO, I would get a good, well-equipped SS amp over any entry-level tube amp. If you're gonna go tube, either get a worthy multi-channel tube amp that does everything you want, or get multiple siongle-channel amps with an A/B box to select between tones.

Quote by mattyyy

....neither of those amps would get you heard over a drummer and a bass. the fender might but i doubt it
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star
....neither of those amps would get you heard over a drummer and a bass. the fender might but i doubt it

The Fender will get you over a drummer and bass. The Epiphone I mentioned after that post also will get you over a drummer and bass.
The Epi and Fender would be heard over drums, but just barely. And you'd still have to dime those buggers to have any real presence in the mix.

But correct on that Crate. There's no chance in hell for that amp in a band situation.

Quote by Crunchmeister
The Epi and Fender would be heard over drums, but just barely. And you'd still have to dime those buggers to have any real presence in the mix.

But correct on that Crate. There's no chance in hell for that amp in a band situation.

It really depends on how loud the drummer is and if he can only pound the drums.. he's not much of a drummer.
drums are pretty dam loud no matter how good or bad the drummer is
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
waterboy, true what you said.
Drums usually are louder than hell.

He's a pretty good drummer though

Okay, I'm pretty new to this, so I don't know much about all these different amps..

How much would the tube cost?
Right now I haven't even asked parents if I could get one, and when I do, it'll probably be around the budget of 100-250, they don't understand that it costs to get good stuff.

i can try to force the budget at least to 400, but i doubt it will work if they will pay for all of it. i mgiht have to pitch in, which i'm usually pretty broke..
Quote by mattyyy

would that amp be able to be heard over a band?
Plus, it is forcing what my budge probably will be.

I don't know, I probably won't be getting the amp til like christmas, so that gives me like 2 or 3 months to mow lawns before it gets too cold and snowy and crap.
I'll have like maybe 200 at tops from doing that..
i might be able to afford it.
Oh, and I prefer that most of the amps have a moderately good distortion on them, just because I don't want to waste money on pedals, and I wouldn't know how to work them
Quote by totenkopfSG

This is coming from a noob who has this as his one and only amp, get out into the world man, every amp owns spiders. Get a roland cube.
Quote by mattyyy
It really depends on how loud the drummer is and if he can only pound the drums.. he's not much of a drummer.

In the instance that you wish to play music other than the beatles, this statement is a logical fallacy.
i have actually heard of pretty good recordings of the spider 2 amps. and the player said that the presets suck and you would have to do a lot of tweaking in order to get the right sound. this is coming from a guy that has been playing for over 5 years.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
I have a spider212 (150w) which might be a little out of you're price range, but you could probably go with a 75w spider and be ok. My amp can definatly keep up with drums and so should the 75w. Don't listen to everything you hear about how bad the spiders are. They are certiantly not the best amps on the market, but the clean channels are decent and it does metal tones fairly well, especially with active Pu's. I also believe that purchasing the FBV shortboard is a must purchase with this amp, it opens up a lot of possibilities and features in the amp that you won't get without it. Depending on what type of music you play you might not like the spiders, but if it's metal you want, in my opinion this is probably one of the better amps to have in this price range. I think most of the people that say they are bad probably went to guitar center, played one for a few minutes and then gave up because they wanted to play the used mesa or marshall in the LOUD room.
Cube 60 for high gain (Hard rock, metal)
Vox AD50VT for anything else

The Cube does lighter styles ok, but metal better than Vox.

The Vox does heavier styles ok, but light styles better than the Cube.

It all depends on your style. Give me a song you want me to play that isn't insanely hard, and I'll get you some clips of a cube up tomorrow.
I tested a 75watt Spider- and no matter how much tweaking I did could not get any good metal sound. Maybe if you play numetal or some such where all you need is mud it'd be okay. The cleans were fairly good on it, but when you get into any distorted sounding stuff it just sucks.
I ended up getting one of the 120 watt Crates with the (fairly limited) effects. I was actually looking for something cheaper but my mom told me that I could get it. That was $329 with a $50 mail in rebate or something (it was already marked down from 379).

If you want cheap, don't do the Line6. Try some Peaveys or Crates- they're pretty good and are somewhat cheap. Always look for "inexpensive," not "cheap."
Quote by guitarpunk21
would that amp be able to be heard over a band?
Plus, it is forcing what my budge probably will be.

i have the spider II 30W and i can be heard over a drummer and a bassist when the master volume is just under halfway and it is still very loud. A rule of thumb is that a tube amp is 2 to 2.5 times as loud as a ss (like the spider) so ya i would say you should. and ya the spider is a great amp IF you have never played any other amps. i would advise looking away from the spiders for the long run. i have had one for about a year and i think its been too long, so i'm going to be getting myself a mesa f-30. good luck with the amp and getting the $$ for it.
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.