Hey, guys. I'm relatively new to the scene, at about a year of playing. As my name probably suggests to you, I play a Pacifica112J. Just a cheap Yamaha, and I was wondering if anybody here could recommend some new pickups for me. I really don't want to spend more than $100.00, and it has to be from Guitar Center, since that is the only place within a hundred miles of me. I really have no clue as to what I'm doing, as far as buying new pickups. Are all pickups universal? I've been told, though, that new pickups can make a 100% difference in the sound of a guitar, so I'm willing to try it.

Thanks in advance, everybody.

Oh yeah, could anyboy also recommend a new 6 set of tuners?
Quote by Pacifica112J
Hey, guys. I'm relatively new to the scene, at about a year of playing. As my name probably suggests to you, I play a Pacifica112J. Just a cheap Yamaha, and I was wondering if anybody here could recommend some new pickups for me. I really don't want to spend more than $100.00, and it has to be from Guitar Center, since that is the only place within a hundred miles of me. I really have no clue as to what I'm doing, as far as buying new pickups. Are all pickups universal? I've been told, though, that new pickups can make a 100% difference in the sound of a guitar, so I'm willing to try it.

Thanks in advance, everybody.

Oh yeah, could anyboy also recommend a new 6 set of tuners?

hmmmm... well 100 for pus and tuners, uh no... but as for the pickups, i still dont think you can, two hbs will cost like 120 at the least from dimarzio, and then you need labor, so i dont think so, but you could do the tuners, but if you mod a crappy guitar, you get a crappy modded guitar, so think about a new guitar

Tuners: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead/Schaller_Locking_Guitar_Machines.html
Last edited by Arlabester at Jul 17, 2006,
You might want to invest in a better amp first (since I'm guessing you have a pretty low-end amp). Without a good amp to play the guitar through, you won't notice as much of a difference and you won't be able to appreciate your new pups.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by invisible_man
You might want to invest in a better amp first (since I'm guessing you have a pretty low-end amp). Without a good amp to play the guitar through, you won't notice as much of a difference and you won't be able to appreciate your new pups.

x2, yah i always forget lol
Depends what music you play. Most places will charge anything up to around $100 to install pickups. You could check out seymour duncan they're pretty good. Also are they single coil or humbuckers? Dimarzio have some decent stuff, but I've found seymours are real good.
Quote by invisible_man

Actually, I'm embarassed, but I don't even own an amp. I use my mom's Marshall Half Stack.

But that's cool for practicing at my house, I guess. But it's big, and I can't lug it anywhere. I've been looking at the Roland Microcube, but I don't know crap about amps. I wouldn't even know what to consider when buying one. But I don't have a lot of cash, either. Damn expensive equpiment! Least I don't play the drums.

Also, I can't really afford to look at a new guitar, as I don't have any money. Believe me, the Pacifica is a great guitar, but I really can't afford a new one. I was looking at the Fender Standard Strats, but those are $400.

Eh...

Thanks a lot for all your help, guys. Really appreciate it.
for the amp, i'ld recomend you a fender frontman II 15R, great amp, lots of power (15WattsXD) and cheap (95bucks).
for pups its difficult to help you. try dimarzio site
Really? I was looking at that amp, but there aren't any decent amp review sites, so I was kind of between a rock and a hard place. And some reviews said yay, some said nay. So, I'll check that out. BTW, this site really needs more than just guitar reviews.

You said lots of power, too? Woah. 'Cause the Half Stack raises the dead.

Thanks, dude.
Quote by dudusrb
for the amp, i'ld recomend you a fender frontman II 15R, great amp, lots of power (15WattsXD) and cheap (95bucks).
for pups its difficult to help you. try dimarzio site

Yeah, it's a great amp...if your deaf.
I'll try to convince her, but somebody got ahold of her bank stuff, and they spent a lot of money. But they reimbursed us for it. She's like, really anti-internet shopping now.

TY