I just bought some of those polyweb coated elixer strings yesterday. set me back a few buck but people talk highly of them and say they lost a whole lot longer so I gigured it would save me money in the long run. After one day the coating is completely worn off down by the sound hole and almost completely gone across the fretboard. Is this normal with these strings? are they just a complete waste of money?
SWEET! I'm not the only one!

I bought Cleartone EMP strings that have a coating, the day I put it on, I played continuously for most of the day. The coating worn-out on the fretboard and my fingers had the residue. GREEN!

My "soundhole strings" are still okay, except maybe a few here and there.

Coatings are good, just if you don't play it as much, I guess.
Daffodils for Delilah.
Acoustic EP.
Its normal for the coating to wear pretty quickly over the sound hole. They should have lasted longer than 8 hours though. I never play for 8 hours striaght like that but I play around that amount within a few days. Usually my elixers last me a month or so.
But yes they are worth it reguarless of what one person might say. They have awesome sound.
just because the coating starts to wear doesn't mean it's completely gone. I play for 1 or 2 hrs a day and I can keep the strings on my guitar for about 4 months before they need changed. That is 120 to 240 hours of playing before the strings go bad but the strings start to show wear ofter 2 or 3 days which is only 3 to 6 hrs.
Not taking any online orders.
8 hours of playing (depending on your style and attack) is nearly always enough to wear that coating off of elixirs around the soundhole. i'm really surprised that it's completely worn off all the way up the fretboard though... i don't think i've ever had a set of coated strings wear that quickly. if you like the elixirs, give the d'addario exp's a shot next time. they are coated a little differently than the elixirs. they still last just as long, if not longer than the elixirs and i think they sound and feel better. when the coating does start to wear off the exp's it doesn't really peel off like the elixirs do either.