Page 1 of 2
Ahh, ive got an Epiphone Les Paul classic and it sounds awesome! I swear if i didnt have the Epiphone logo printed on the headsock Id mistake it for a gibson. But that got me thinking, what is the real difference between an epiphone lp classic and a gibson? Is it just the pups? Or is it more...
build quality wood quality qualiry control and pickups and youre set.
oh and the massive GIBSON logo on the headstock, that costs a fair bit too
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
and the electronics, and the QC and the craftmanship, and the resale value
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
yer that whole gibson vs epiphone debate is pretty limited.

All in all you give a gibson and an epiphone to to an awesome guitarist, say hendrix (even though he plays fenders lol) and they're both going to sound exactly the same when he plays them.

The main difference is really the feel of the guitar, a gibson might feel like it's better quality because it wouldn't have the minor minor imperfects that an epiphone might (might being the word).

Not 100% sure of the pups, but most people replace their pups no matter how expensive their guitar is.
Yeah, what do you reckon are good ones to put on my lp (epi) i was looking at the ceramics, the 500T and 496R? i play heaps of different styles of rock, anything from iron maiden to acdc and the living end. What do you think?
^The ceramics aren't as nice as the normal Gibson pickups, get some '57s, or you could get some Bareknuckles.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I think a good question would be, is the difference between Epiphone and Gibson worth the difference in price?
Quote by Ockeroid
I think a good question would be, is the difference between Epiphone and Gibson worth the difference in price?

That depends. I've played some really bad epiphones, and if we're talking those, yeah, its worth it. But if we're talking epiphone of the same quality as for example mine, i'd say no, its not worth it. It depends on how good your epiphone is.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^The ceramics aren't as nice as the normal Gibson pickups, get some '57s, or you could get some Bareknuckles.

2nd, bareknuckle pickups kick ass
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
ok im sorry but you dont make a post comparing gibson and epiphone. its common sense if epiphone was better than gibson every guitarist that you ever listened to would have an epiphone.

basic gibson is the best
Quote by rocknrollgod
ok im sorry but you dont make a post comparing gibson and epiphone. its common sense if epiphone was better than gibson every guitarist that you ever listened to would have an epiphone.

basic gibson is the best

i think you're forgetting the epi elitest range
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
The Epiphone Les Paul (except the Elitist) use different wood combo than a Gibson...

Epiphone = Mahogany / Alder
Gibson = Mahogany / Maple

And some more stuff
Quote by rocknrollgod

basic gibson is the best

i second that

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
I used to have an Epi LP standard, now i have a Gibons LP standard.

There's a very obvious difference. The Gibson sounds, feels, looks and even smells better. Pickups, electronics, wood, bindings, tuners, everything is of good quality which you notice instantly.
Sure they are overpriced, but just look for a good used one. I got mine used for $1000
This thread is so f***ing retarded. It's like fender vs squier. Epiphone was made to be the maker of affordable gibsons.

For the money epiphones are much better because you can just upgrade the pickups and it will sound like a gibson but for the guitar as a whole the gibson would be better.
Quote by Mwoit
The Epiphone Les Paul (except the Elitist) use different wood combo than a Gibson...

Epiphone = Mahogany / Alder
Gibson = Mahogany / Maple

And some more stuff

Actually the plain top and the Custom are all mahogany too. I believe there are quite a few other epiphone models made of all mahogany with a maple top.

Also all epiphone pauls have a maple top. (except the really low end like specials)

I'm sorry sir but you are seriously misinformed.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
This thread is so f***ing retarded

then dont post here

personally, this is my favorite guitar argument, so if anyone else has some input id say keep it going

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by suicidalmoose
yer that whole gibson vs epiphone debate is pretty limited.

All in all you give a gibson and an epiphone to to an awesome guitarist, say hendrix (even though he plays fenders lol) and they're both going to sound exactly the same when he plays them.

The main difference is really the feel of the guitar, a gibson might feel like it's better quality because it wouldn't have the minor minor imperfects that an epiphone might (might being the word).

Not 100% sure of the pups, but most people replace their pups no matter how expensive their guitar is.

well acutally hendrix doesny play fenders, he used to play fenders. he's DEAD. stupid gay drugs
Quote by refgerto
That depends. I've played some really bad epiphones, and if we're talking those, yeah, its worth it. But if we're talking epiphone of the same quality as for example mine, i'd say no, its not worth it. It depends on how good your epiphone is.

what do you have
Quote by eyeownyu
well acutally hendrix doesny play fenders, he used to play fenders. he's DEAD

and for the guy u were talking to, Hendrix actually played a Gibson flying V in his later years

Quote by richwatkinson
Quote by Ihearthetfield
This thread is so f***ing retarded. It's like fender vs squier. Epiphone was made to be the maker of affordable gibsons.

For the money epiphones are much better because you can just upgrade the pickups and it will sound like a gibson but for the guitar as a whole the gibson would be better.

Wrong. Epiphone was making guitars before they became part of Gibson. They were actually Competition for Gibson Guitars.

But to the people who are saying things like Give an epiphone and a Gibosn to any guitar player and it will sound the same, you are mistaken. If you get a high end epiphone and a low end Gibson maybe, but trust me there is difference enought that the tone will be different even played by the same person.

Now these people who are asking if it is worth it to spend more money, Worth is relative to your position. If you have the money to buy the Gibson you may want to do that because the craftmanship is going to be better. Now it's all up to what you want to spend your money on so worth can not be determined except on an individual basis.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Actually the plain top and the Custom are all mahogany too. I believe there are quite a few other epiphone models made of all mahogany with a maple top.

Also all epiphone pauls have a maple top. (except the really low end like specials)

I'm sorry sir but you are seriously misinformed.

Really? Because that would be good news as I have the Custom

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=47&CollectionID=6

But it even states on the site Alder / Mahogany combo :S
Quote by socialtool
Wrong. Epiphone was making guitars before they became part of Gibson. They were actually Competition for Gibson Guitars.

But to the people who are saying things like Give an epiphone and a Gibosn to any guitar player and it will sound the same, you are mistaken. If you get a high end epiphone and a low end Gibson maybe, but trust me there is difference enought that the tone will be different even played by the same person.

Now these people who are asking if it is worth it to spend more money, Worth is relative to your position. If you have the money to buy the Gibson you may want to do that because the craftmanship is going to be better. Now it's all up to what you want to spend your money on so worth can not be determined except on an individual basis.

I know they were a company before but you know what I meant. Nowadays they are the make of affordable gibson.
*sigh*

How can people be so blinded by the name on the headstock??

Just because the guitar has the Gibson logo on it, it doesn't mean the guitar isn't a POS. I've heard absolute horror stories about Gibsons, and experienced mediocrity among even their high end models myself.

I'll share my experience with Gibsons. I went to Guitar Center a few months back. I wanted to try Gibsons and ONLY Gibsons. I thought "If I get a GIbson, I'll have a quality guitar. A REAL guitar."

So, I sat down with a Vintage Mahogany LP first. It was nice, but didn't seem to be quite worth the $800 price tag on it to me, so I hung it back up.

Next came a Faded Doublecut with P-90's. It sounded alright, but still very mediocre. Horribly out of tune as well, even though it appeared to have been played very little. Definetly not worth the $760 price tag.

After the DC, I tried a LP classic. I wasn't impressed with it at all. It sounded nearly identical to the $800 vintage mahogany LP I had hung back up minutes before. This one got hung up even faster than the other two.

Then, I tried a Standard. I was most disappointed in this one. It sounded dull and somewhat muddy. The $800 vintage mahogany LP actually sounded better in my opinion. I played this one for a while, and just kept thinking to myself "It IS good! It has to be! It's a Gibson and that means it's good!" Yet, in the back of my mind, I knew that this guitar WASN'T any good. Now, looking back on it, I wish I would have hung it up immediately and gone to different brands. But what did I do? Kept on with the parade of overly mediocre Gibsons.

Next came a Faded SG Special. This guitar was garbage. It just wasn't quality at all. In honesty, I've tried many guitars at a third (or less) of the price that have sounded MUCH better.

Then, an SG Classic(?) with two P-90 soapbars. This one was actually pretty nice. The only real fault I could find with it was the neck was uncomfortable. But, that's truly preference. This SG was ~$900 and I thought it was alright for the price.

Finally, a Faded Flying V. This was the same case as the Faded SG Special. Very poor sound-extremely weak sounding as well.

All of these were played through the same amp, with the same settings. The amp I used was a Vox AD100VT, which was alright, but nothing to write home about.

About a week or so later, I went into a local shop that carries Epiphones. I had never played one before because I always thought of them as "a knockoff" and thanks to the Gibson fanboys here on UG, I always looked at them as if they were trash.

Anyway, I asked to try an Epiphone. Mainly just to see how bad they were. He hands me a Les Paul Standard, and in all honesty it was better sounding most of the Gibson's I had tried at Guitar Center. It had nice tone, plenty of sustain and alright pickups. Thinking back on it, this was proabably one of the more uncommon all-mahogany Epi LP Standards. It played better, sounded better, and looked just as good. I would have bought it that day if it hadn't been for the store owner giving me the creeps. It was a $400 Epi that sounded amazing. Better than the Gibsons I had played.

I'm sure I'll be accused of being an Epi fanboy, or someone will say that I'm tonedeaf, or something stupid like that, but this is my honest opinion. The Gibsons I tried (except for the SG with p90's) weren't worth their price tags. Most weren't worth half of the price, and a few, including the Standard I tried, I wouldn't have bought for a tenth of the price.

It's quite possible that I just experienced the worst Gibson has to offer, and believe me, the next time I go to a Gibson dealer I'll sit down and play a bunch of them and I'll be prepared to write another long review on them like this one. I really hope that I'll be able to write a review recommending them instead of steering people away from them.

-Xenn99
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Mwoit
Really? Because that would be good news as I have the Custom

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=47&CollectionID=6

But it even states on the site Alder / Mahogany combo :S

Open up the back panel of your Epi LP Custom. You'll be able to tell immediately if the body is alder/mahogany or all mahogany. It will have two colors of wood if it's alder/mahogany. If it's just one, it's more than likely mahogany. I haven't heard of too many solid alder ones, but I guess it's possible.

I have read that most Epi LP Customs are indeed mahogany, but that some are still the alder/mahogany body. A quick look will tell you exactly what it is though. Especially if you know what kind of wood grain to look for.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
omg u couldnt even figure that out. GIBSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! duh
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Ooooo me thinks there is only one wood grain there... Can't really see because of the wacky grey paint, but managed to scratch it off and see it.

So yar, I have Mahogany it looks like
some elitist are better than classic lp's...but just a little shy of a standard's quality
man i had a huge response to Xenn (and no i wasnt argung with you, just encouraging you to expand your Gibson experience :P) and my computer froze.. so i will just say that Xenn, you have convinced me that Gibsons are as hit or miss as Epis, but i guarantee if u get a hit with a Gibby, it will blow away any epi u can find..

thank you come again

Quote by richwatkinson
Amen Xenn99, you have made quite a point there.

i tried a Gibson SG special last week, it was terrible. it felt so average and the sound was worse than the sound i get out of my Squire affinity strat. to think i had actually considered buying one, its so not worth it.

the lead guitarist in my band has an epiphone les paul custom and it has an amazing sound, and the action on the neck is absoloutely stunning, hes still playing on a 15 watt practice amp (yes he is getting a new amplifier) and he still gets a sound mistakable for a gibson.

im new, but that doesnt mean im some **** newb guitarist, i just havent signed up until now
oo Xenn i forgot to add, most of those Gibsons u tried were lower-end, which in most cases do suck... but maybe you want try 3 or 4 different higher end Gibsons.. if u only tried 1 of each, you might have just been unlucky. im almost certain that if u try 3 or 4, youll find a Gibby that will blow ur mind and make u never want to see an epiphone again

Quote by richwatkinson
Page 1 of 2