What did you learn first?

Chords? Songs? Riffs? Theory?

In 1960 I got my first guitar ( f-holed hollow body accoustic ) for xmas at age 10 because I wanted one (I forgot why!) I had nothing to learn with but got a tuner so I learned how to tune my guitar.

My sister was learning how to play piano (maybe that's why!) and she's got everything. Piano (still here), bench (still here too!!), and books.

Books? Songbooks!

I had to learn how to read sheet music and find the notes on the guitar (with E A D G B and E to go by) but no one told me I have to drop it a octave from the piano sheets.

Not until my mom asked me why I'm playing on the bottom strings so much.

That's when I learned transposing. Seems I learned the guitar the hard way. At age 13 we moved and I met a friend across the street. He plays guitar (he's 13 too) and he's gifted. He showed me chords and we started a band where I played rhythm guitar. His brother played drums and I'll be damned he's gifted too.

I'm in a friggin' rocking band! We played surf guitar and when the beatles came out we played beatles too.

Then we moved again and I had to say goodbye. Started another band in the 70s (I played lead this time) and the drummer who was a damn good friend of mine died from alcohol poisoning.

SHEEZ!

Hadn't touched a guitar since then until mid 90. I bought a guitar because I realized I missed it. Seems that nobody's in the 60s and 70s anymore (some 80s too) so I'm playing in my room or at my friend's shop.

I'm loving it (I'm retired, disabled really) and have been learning theory.

Now I have an agile al3000 with emgs, kustom 100 watt ss amp, epiphone valve jr amp (love this 5 watter), SX mockingbird, and a zoom 606 pedal.

Not bad for a hobby hey?
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
youve been rockin out since before the ****in dinosaurs, man. keep it up.
Quote by SchecterFreak
like i said..i feel like a dumass... oh!!! man you are refering to your abreviated name wow..i really feel stupid *blushes* god... sorry USHO.

man i feel like a **** now...
Quote by usuckhugeonez
youve been rockin out since before the ****in dinosaurs, man. keep it up.

Keep your comments to yourself.

You my friend ("OldRocker"), are the kind of person I respect, who does what they like to do, for as long as they want.

EDIT:
I forgot to put that I learned riffs first.
Cool very cool. I learned riffs first like the guy above me.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I learned riffs from my favourite songs when I started electric, with acoustic I had a teacher for a year and I was reading sheet music. Then I had a long pause and then I picked up guitar again and started learning basic chords. So a bit of everything.

And to your playing: Man, I wish I had the chance to play when rock was starting to get big. Legends rising all over the place :P
Quote by Klayy
And to your playing: Man, I wish I had the chance to play when rock was starting to get big. Legends rising all over the place :P

Everyone is a prodigy now...
That's an inspiring story about your guitaring life OldRocker, although i'm sorry to hear about your friend. Similar thing happened to my band mates in a previous band they were in.

I guess i'm like alot of guitarist around here, learning how to play riffs and songs I knew and liked before moving onto learning any theory. I just wanted to impress my friends by being able to play songs their knew and loved.
i just learnt bar chords coz i already new basic chords from my dad.. but then i learnt licks n riffs n stuff n it all went from there
Quote by DUP3R
Keep your comments to yourself.

You my friend ("OldRocker"), are the kind of person I respect, who does what they like to do, for as long as they want.

EDIT:
I forgot to put that I learned riffs first.

I concur.

and as for me i technically learned chords first, but i learned some songs, very shortly after.
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.