I want to get a Bass and after thinking about it i wanted to get a 6 string but my friend said i should get a 5 string atleast becasue im not really experienced with bass i dont want 4 seems like so little, i play guitar and after playing bass i learned to slap pop guitar so i dont know im thinking i get more out of a 6 string including less of a change from regular guitar, so yeah i dont know.

Pros and cons, wich do you think is better?
http://www.last.fm/user/louman61/
My Band

Quote by Next Hendrix
You know you're a guitar player when your girlfriend says she got a new g-string and you ask " Is it nickel-wound or bronze phosphorous?"
^agreed
Originally posted by: rich sg
And God said unto Jesus: "Son, is there anything you want to talk about?"
And Jesus replied: "Get off my back, Dad! Judas Priest your such a frickin' homophobe! FACE!"
And so Jesus was crucified.
Yeah get a 4 string... then move to 6
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
When they add strings to a bass don't they add them to the low end? I know that at least 1 of them gets added to the low end anyway... So it really wouldn't be more like playing guitar because all the fingering for the scales will be different. A 4 string would be the most like playing guitar.
Not taking any online orders.
A 4 string would be most like a guitar.

A guitar strings are EADGBe.
A 6 string basses are BEADGC.

A 6 string bass would be as far away from a guitar as you can get.
Cord, when you add a string to the EADG you can go either way.

Most manufacturers put the extra low string (B) on, due to the popularity of BEADG in heavy music and r&b and stuff. However, lots of guys go one string higher (C), like Matt Garrison and reportedly Steve DiGiorgio, so they go EADGC.

Most 6 strings are BEADGC. When you go to 7 strings, again it can go either way with F#BEADGC or BEADGCF
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Cord, when you add a string to the EADG you can go either way.

Most manufacturers put the extra low string (B) on, due to the popularity of BEADG in heavy music and r&b and stuff. However, lots of guys go one string higher (C), like Matt Garrison and reportedly Steve DiGiorgio, so they go EADGC.

Most 6 strings are BEADGC. When you go to 7 strings, again it can go either way with F#BEADGC or BEADGCF

steve said so himself he strings his esp 5 string fretless EADGC..

but yea get a 6 string
Get a 4 string. At least only a 5. You'll never learn on a 6. Whats the hype about more than 4 strings? If your doing your job as a bassist you aren't doing that much dancing around the fretboard anyway.
well dont think 4 string is little but personally i love 5 string
im a finger player

:quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTwoFoot
It's obvious that those songs were illegally downloaded, so Metallica wanted him to "ride the lightning," if you get my meaning.:quote:
Start on a 5 and move to 6, or go 6. Sixes are amazing and i love them. Depending on how you like to play (high on the neck/range or low) should be a good factor in deciding. If you like the bigger range/upper tonal range, go 6. If you like the lower range/deep notes, go 5. If you want to be "traditional," go 4. Personally, yeah you can do fine with a 4, but a 5 or 6 is just loads of fun! There's so much more you can do on a 6 that you can't a 4 or even 5.

Now that you've read my post, you see my usertitle.
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
Last edited by PenumbralFigure at Jul 17, 2006,
Quote by chopps00
Get a 4 string. At least only a 5. You'll never learn on a 6. Whats the hype about more than 4 strings? If your doing your job as a bassist you aren't doing that much dancing around the fretboard anyway.

"Doing your job as a bassist" can mean many different things, buddy. Lets not relegate ourselves to the opinion that a bassist "doing his job" plays statically in one area. The majority of rock artists get along fine with 4 strings, but that is not neccesarily due to the fact they aren't "dancing around the fretboard". Plenty of musicians can "dance around the fretboard" and still suit the song perfectly, fufilling the role of the bassist. In other cases, 6 strings may be neccesary.

Or hell, maybe he even wants to play solo bass!

Open your eyes and your ears past rock stereotypes.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
John Myung. Les Claypool. I think i've said enough.

There's always my other fancy, Extended Range Basses. Jean Baudin, Yves Carbonne, Stew McKinsey, etc.

Quote by Fast_Bear
Last edited by PenumbralFigure at Jul 17, 2006,
Quote by chopps00

since when do instruments have a certain job?
4 string
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
getting a fivestring is best, imo. because I've heard bad things about downtuning, and a fiver eliminates most downtuning, but not all. and fivers keep higher range while accessing the lower. and if you're playing high up the neck, then you don't have to 'dance' all over the place.

also, it's better to have and not need then it is to need and not have.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
also, it's better to have and not need then it is to need and not have.

Truth!

Quote by Fast_Bear
Quote by louman61
I want to get a Bass and after thinking about it i wanted to get a 6 string but my friend said i should get a 5 string atleast becasue im not really experienced with bass i dont want 4 seems like so little, i play guitar and after playing bass i learned to slap pop guitar so i dont know im thinking i get more out of a 6 string including less of a change from regular guitar, so yeah i dont know.

Pros and cons, wich do you think is better?

Most people who go from a guitar to a 6 string bass crash and burn.

The shock from the change in neck size is great, and you take a lot longer to adapt.

Remember Jaco only had four strings.
First of all six string necks are gargantuan.

Second of all if your just starting a 4 string is fine. If your going to be playing in a band a four string is best because then it will match up with the guitar

EADG (bass)
EADGBE (guitar)

You will have to have a five string if your guitarist uses a seven string though. That's sort of a requirement.
All 6 string necks are not gargantuan.

And if he wants a 5 or 6 string bass, it's a waste of time AND money to start off on a 4.
haha
Dude, if you're moving from a six string guitar, a six string bass will be like a damn octopus.

But in any case, if you want a six string, and you think you'll stick with the bass guitar forevarz and evarz, do get it.

EDIT: For good measure, I play on six strings, and, despite the prices for strings, I couldn't ever think of going back to four strings.

EDIT 2: Also, no instrument has a particular "job". If you ever hear someone say that, you should kick them in the fucking nuts. What they actually mean is that the bass usually fulfills a certain role in crafting the overall sonic texture of a band. The keywords are "usually" and "band". You will most likely deviate and some point or another, and also, you will not always be a part of a traditional "band" as a bassist.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
Last edited by Riryoku at Jul 17, 2006,
I say go with the 6 string. I know a bass player at my school who jumped from 4 to a 6 string bass and he had no problem.He has now placed an order for a custom 11 string and has not stopped along the way to play a 7,8 or 9 string bass. I also know another kid who is starting out on a 6 string bass and he is also just fine with it. I went from a 4 to a 5 and I regret not just going to a 6 because i won't be able to afford one for a long time. So I repeat, go for the 6 string!!!

(also as a side not- 6 string basses are not just tuned B-E-A-D-G-C, you can also tune it like a guitar B-E-A-D-G-B. It is all about preferance.)
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Quote by Names_mud
I say go with the 6 string. I know a bass player at my school who jumped from 4 to a 6 string bass and he had no problem.He has now placed an order for a custom 11 string and has not stopped along the way to play a 7,8 or 9 string bass. I also know another kid who is starting out on a 6 string bass and he is also just fine with it. I went from a 4 to a 5 and I regret not just going to a 6 because i won't be able to afford one for a long time. So I repeat, go for the 6 string!!!

(also as a side not- 6 string basses are not just tuned B-E-A-D-G-C, you can also tune it like a guitar B-E-A-D-G-B. It is all about preferance.)

i was thinking about tuning it like a guitar to so that i can be fimiliar with it a little better, im want to be more solo bass then band and the faqt that i wont be able to afford another bass especally a 6-string for a long time.
http://www.last.fm/user/louman61/
My Band

Quote by Next Hendrix
You know you're a guitar player when your girlfriend says she got a new g-string and you ask " Is it nickel-wound or bronze phosphorous?"
To add to Names_mud (Primus reference!), you can even tune it E-A-D-G-B-E, if you so wish. Personally, i'm a "traditional" standard tuning guy. I only tune outside of B-E-A-D-G-C if i'm learning a new song and the E is dropped to D or something similar.

Quote by Fast_Bear