Page 1 of 3
hey does anyone out there listen to dire straits... they are a great band and mark knopfler is (was) the coolest guitarist... and what genre would you classify them (for those listeners)

Thanks
Yeah kinda Jazzy rock

Knophler is definatley one of the worlds best guitarist, he was better before he went to country music, even though thats where his roots are

some of those finger picking solos are crazy
they are amazing.

Knopflers guitar playing is amazing and then they do sax solos, and even crazy lap steel solos

I would classify them as jazz-swing-bluesbased-rock-kinda-thing
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
This band is just amazing, great songwriting and amazing guitar. If anyone hasn't heard their live album Alchemy, I demand you listen to it now. It's spectacular. As for genre, I would say..... classic rock.
sultans of swing!! hell yea such an intense song
Proud follower of Zeppelinism

PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Eat, drink and be merry,
for tomorrow we die.
Quote by punkerkid!79!
hey does anyone out there listen to dire straits... they are a great band and mark knopfler is (was) the coolest guitarist... and what genre would you classify them (for those listeners)

Thanks

Okay, let's tackle these topics 1 by 1...

1. Yes, I do listen to them. No suprise there.
2. Knopfler IS the coolest guitarist. No "was" involved. (BANDANA POWER!)
3. I don't like classifying things, but if I had to it would be some weird fusion of Bar and Arena Rock (Is that even possible??!! )
Signature? We don't need no stinkin' signature!
I really like Dire Straits, and Mark Knopfler is probably one of my favorite guitarists ever.

My favorite album of theirs is either their debut Dire Straits or Love Over Gold.

I was recently in a Hard Rock Cafe at La Jolla, California, and the first guitar I saw when I went in was Mark Knopfler's, and I was extremely tempted to tear it off the wall and run away.
His voice is some what samey, but the sound of his guitar is some what endless! He has so many wierd effects. I managed to get the ones for Money for Nothing, that was fun playing, but any others were too daunting to try and go through.
I love the dire Straits. Sultans of Swing, Romeo and juliet, Tunnel of Love, Money for Nothing...all such wonderful songs.
I have every album from the debut to On Every Street and they're all awesome. Favorite album is Love Over Gold
Member #4 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Co founder of the "official band/artist obsessors club" as a queen obsessor pm me or me_and_my_esp to join!
My absolute favourite band and my guitar-hero. He is not making a big deal of singing ("I am not Dolly Parton here ") but his guitar does cry and sing and does whatever sound Mark has planned to be there.
Do not limit yourself to "Money for nothing" album only, discover "Sailing to Philadelphia", Golden heart", "Boom! Like that" and "All the roadrunning" with Emmylou Harris.
Take the best, f*ck the rest!
Mesa/Boogie
Everyone knows that the Dire Straits are my all-time favourite band, and Mark Knopfler is my all- time favourite guitarist. I think he's still churning out some great music.
I myself am rather partial to Dire Straits, Making Movies and Love Over Gold; but I like songs from all over the band's career. I can't actually think of any songs I don't really like apart from Les Boys which is just a bid odd.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Jesse Mrau
This band is just amazing, great songwriting and amazing guitar. If anyone hasn't heard their live album Alchemy, I demand you listen to it now. It's spectacular. As for genre, I would say..... classic rock.

Amen brother. That album is definately one of my favorite live albums of all time. The 10 minute version of Sultans of Swing is my new favorite jammin' song. I could steal Knopfler's licks all day and never end up repeating myself. Which speaks a lot to his talent as a guitarist.
Rig:
1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 50
Marshall 1960 Slant Cab
VOX10T552 Wah
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
Dire straits got me into guitar.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Sultans Of Swing and Money For Nothing- both great songs
John Entwistle is my God. RIP.

listening to you, I get the music, gazing at you, I feel the heat, following you, I climb the mountain, I get excitement at your feet.
<3 tommy.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Sounds like yet another album to add to my wanted list...

My Spanish Hearts
Sultans of Swing and Romeo and Juliet are two classic songs!

Yay for Dire Straits.
Nay for Mark Knopflers solo project!

- SO
Did you see the stylish kids in the riot?

Quote by pinheadslts75
I hate AVA. They sound like U2 and Rush getting beat up by Panic at the Fall Out Boy.

:stickpoke
Quote by SpringingOff
Sultans of Swing and Romeo and Juliet are two classic songs!

Yay for Dire Straits.
Nay for Mark Knopflers solo project!

- SO

I say yay to both, but I've heard a lot of people say they don't like his solo career. Is it because he's gone a bit more towards country style music?
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Calum_Barrow
Everyone knows that the Dire Straits are my all-time favourite band, and Mark Knopfler is my all- time favourite guitarist. I think he's still churning out some great music.
I myself am rather partial to Dire Straits, Making Movies and Love Over Gold; but I like songs from all over the band's career. I can't actually think of any songs I don't really like apart from Les Boys which is just a bid odd.

I agree with all of that. I don't really like his solo career. Too country like you said. EXCEPT for the song What it is. That song is one of my favorite songs of his including dire straits.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar

Last edited by Tenacious Me at Jul 22, 2006,
When you guys say Mark's solo career sounds "country", do you mean like Southern rock or coumtry-rock, such as The Allman Brother Band, The Band, The Byrds, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc., or more like pop country such as, uh... *goes onto Wikipedia* Tim McGraw?
More of in between. No really that rockish but still countryish. The new CD is really country. Sailing to Phillidalphia isn't really.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar

They are a great band. I especially like that song called Money for Nothing.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Walk Of Life and Telegraph Road are fantastic songs

EDIT- oh yeah, and so is Industrial Disease. Awesome song.
Co founder of the "official band/artist obsessors club" as a queen obsessor pm me or me_and_my_esp to join!
Quote by Calum_Barrow

I say yay to both, but I've heard a lot of people say they don't like his solo career. Is it because he's gone a bit more towards country style music?

Actually, that's one of the reasons..

I think that with Dire Straits it was not only his own touch, it was 4 or 5 (can't remember how many members there were) people that put their touch on some awesome guitar riffs and crazyass lyrics.
I think with his own touch it's not that good.

You know what I'm saying? Well, I can't explain it better than that..

I like some of his solo songs though..
Did you see the stylish kids in the riot?

Quote by pinheadslts75
I hate AVA. They sound like U2 and Rush getting beat up by Panic at the Fall Out Boy.

:stickpoke
Not only is Mark Knopfler underrated as a guitarist and singer, but he's underrated as hell as a lyricist/songwriter.
look at guitar george
he knows all the chords
you told him to try to build bricks without straw
he asked you to build cities without bricks
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
When you guys say Mark's solo career sounds "country", do you mean like Southern rock or coumtry-rock, such as The Allman Brother Band, The Band, The Byrds, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc., or more like pop country such as, uh... *goes onto Wikipedia* Tim McGraw?

brilliant style of country - country rock and rockabilly, the ones he did with Chet Atkins
My Spanish Hearts
I think they are brilliant band. I also think Telegraoh Road, is one of their best songs. The piano in it is amazing.
^^Telegraph Road is my favorite song by them. Not only is the piano great, but I love the song lyrically, because you can imagine everything happening at Mark unfolds the "story" of the Telegraph Road.

His guitar playing on the song is excellent too.

Quote by rx_eb
brilliant style of country - country rock and rockabilly, the ones he did with Chet Atkins

Okay.
Page 1 of 3