ok so i know that the blues scale formula is 1-3b-4-5b-5-7b-8, but could you add a 2 and a 6b?

i know that the chords that go with Cmaj7 are Dmin7 Emin7 Fmaj7 G7 Amin7 and Bmin7 (b5), but what chords would go with Cmin7?

and C7

i think ive got an idea but im not too sure

thanks for the help guys
Do you mean... 1 - 2 - b3 - 4 - b5 - b6 - b7.

If I'm not mistaken, that is the Locrian #2 mode, which is the 6th mode of the Melodic Minor scale.
To your first question: Yes, you could add a 2 and a b6, it would make it a natural minor scale with a flat 5th.

Well a lot of chords would go with Cm7 or C7, I suggest learning about the circle of 5ths/keys and diatonic chords to learn about this, as it would be much better for you to understand why chords go together than for me to just tell you.

EDIT: To the above, that could be true too, but you are considering the flatted 5th as a scale tone more important than the natural 5th. Since it is a passing tone in the blues scale I think natural minor fits better.

It could be looked at as either one though.
Last edited by MrScary07RR at Jul 17, 2006,
You can add pretty much any note to a blues scale. Most common are 2 and 6 (2 is the 5 of the 5 chord, and 6 is the 3 of the 4 chord), but you can get away with anything if you are careful with your phrasing.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
To get chords that will work( diatonically with C minor) your Cm7, an easy way to think of it is juxtapose the list you already gave. Use the same list, but start on Amin, and use the same chords.

That will give you chords to use in Amin. So you are using your list from major and starting it on the 6th noth.

Amin7 Bmin7b5 Cmaj7 Dmin7 Emin7 Fmaj7 G7

Now switch in the notes for Cm. (1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7)

Cmin7 Dmin7b5 EbMaj7 Fmin7 Gmin7 Abmaj7 Bb7

That seems one of the easiest ways to think of it to me off the top of my head.
To UnderTheGroove: Yeah, it just seemed to me that when he was playing the blues scale his ear was hearing the natural minor scale instead of hearing those tones as passing tones as you're saying.

But to threadstarter: Yes, you can add those tones and any others, just do what you think sounds good to you.
yeah 1 - 2 - b3 - 4 - b5 - b6 - b7 is what i meant so thanks, i was just wondering if it works together

as for the second question, ill see if i understand, some of the chords that could go with Cmin7 are:

D half-diminished 7
Eb Maj 7
F Min 7
G Min 7
Ab Maj 7
Bb 7

if this is correct, i think i understand

thanks

Edit: i started writing this post way before, it just took me very long, i was messing around on my keyboard, so i think i understand, thanks guys
now as for the chords that go with C7, once again if i understand correctly,

Dmin7
E half-diminished 7
Fmaj7
Gmin7
Amin7
Bbmaj7

?

thanks
Looks good for both chord lists, staying 100% diatonic to the scales you are using, and that is the best if not only way to start.

Once you have that down, you should realize that especially in a "jazzier" type scenario, dominant 7th chords especially are used with alot of extensions and alterations to get a richer sound. That in turn will alter the scales, and thus chords that are used with such.
Quote by darksidemoon
now as for the chords that go with C7, once again if i understand correctly,

Dmin7
E half-diminished 7
Fmaj7
Gmin7
Amin7
Bbmaj7

?

thanks
Right. As for Cm7...

Cm7
Dm7b5
Ebmaj7
Fm7
Gm7
Abmaj7
Bbmaj7
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by redwing_suck
Right. As for Cm7...

Cm7
Dm7b5
Ebmaj7
Fm7
Gm7
Abmaj7
Bbmaj7

but in Bbmaj7, theres an A, shouldnt it be Bb7, where theres an Ab ?

thanks for the info granite
oh yeah, good call, my bad. Bbmaj7 = wrong, Bb7 = right.
Looking for my India/Django.