Hi im looking for a new electric guitar in the price range of up the £350. My playing ability is fairly low, but hopefully improving. The sort of music i like is Libertines, Oasis, gnr, nirvana, all kinds old and new to be honest. Im supose im looking for a good allrounder. What should i be looking for? any recomendations? Ive seen the fender lite ash strat in my price range, would this be potentially a good choice?

Thanks in advance for any help.
go and play different guitars in the shops to see which one suits you personally
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Dont get a Les Paul or Fender, your a middle man, go for an Ibanez, and i suggest you also get a Line6 amp seeing as you play a wide range of music.
i'd suggest a cube over a line6 amp (or even a vox if your not into that high gain stuff, which it seems ure not into). try thomann.de - it's cheap and it's good, even though it's german , i get stuff sent over for 10 quid postage and it's good service, alternatively try Guitar Amp Keyboard they tend to be quite cheap as well (Thomann is sometimes £50 or so cheaper then GAK but GAK is UK based so warranty issues won't be a hassle, plus with thomann you can't pay with solo/maestro you have to pay 7£ for wire transfer, GAK u can just solo/maestro it).
Hmmm.....cube mabey, my point was that Line6 amps are packed with effects which he needs to play all the different stuff he wants.

And yes agreed www.gak.co.uk are the best in UK.
Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Hmmm.....cube mabey, my point was that Line6 amps are packed with effects which he needs to play all the different stuff he wants.

And yes agreed www.gak.co.uk are the best in UK.

line 6 MAY have the effects he needs but doesnt mean it WILL SOUND GOOD sorry just had to highlight the main points
Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Dont get a Les Paul or Fender, your a middle man, go for an Ibanez, and i suggest you also get a Line6 amp seeing as you play a wide range of music.

Why shouldnt i get a fender/ what do you mean 'middle man'?

What sort of Ibanez would you suggest?

Thanks for everyone help so far.
Well Fenders have a bright pangy kind of tone, and you did say you played Nirvana. Fenders are very versatile but not by that much, plus you'd look like a fool playing
"rape me" with a Fender anyway and you wouldnt get the right tone.

Ibanez hmmmm......well get something with a locking trem, if your playing heavy stuff (which you say you do) then i imagine your going to be giving the strings a good hammering. Yeh anything with a locking trem really should be good.
Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Well Fenders have a bright pangy kind of tone, and you did say you played Nirvana. Fenders are very versatile but not by that much, plus you'd look like a fool playing
"rape me" with a Fender anyway and you wouldnt get the right tone.

Ibanez hmmmm......well get something with a locking trem, if your playing heavy stuff (which you say you do) then i imagine your going to be giving the strings a good hammering. Yeh anything with a locking trem really should be good.

i do believe kurt cobain did use a fender.
(1) Line 6 blows goats. Anyone who recommends a Line 6 amp is tattooing "I'm a n00b" on their own forehead. The Cube is a much better amp for high gain and has on-board effects (which are really just toys/marketing ploy, IMO)

(2) Fender makes the "Fat Strat" which combines a humbucker with 2 single coils, giving you a lot of versatility. But in the end it's all about personal tone preference. You can play any style with any guitar. You might actually like something with soapbars.

(3) Unless you plan on doing a lot of whammy bar work, don't bother with a locking trem. To me, they're more of a pain in the ass than their worth unless you plan on doing a lot of divebombs. Both SRV and Jimi Hendrix did a fair amount of trem work with the standard Strat-type trem.

(4) Epiphone might also make a guitar you'd enjoy. Check out the Les Pauls or the G-400, which is their copy of the Gibson SG.
Hi, I'm Peter
Thanks, initially i was having a decision between a strat or a tele, now it looks like i have quite alot more to think about. I do not want a les paul for now. Also my playing is quite varried but not as heavy as some of the posts have suggested. Thanks for the additional amp help, maybe i was being naive in thinking i was just going to get a marshall? The guitar was the main priority in the makeup of this thread so any additional help would be nice. Plus if if anyone know much about the lite ash fenders i spoke of earlier, would be cool to know if there any good as there specs look quite good.

Thanks once again.
Quote by Ianbealessqeek
Thanks, initially i was having a decision between a strat or a tele, now it looks like i have quite alot more to think about. I do not want a les paul for now. Also my playing is quite varried but not as heavy as some of the posts have suggested. Thanks for the additional amp help, maybe i was being naive in thinking i was just going to get a marshall? The guitar was the main priority in the makeup of this thread so any additional help would be nice. Plus if if anyone know much about the lite ash fenders i spoke of earlier, would be cool to know if there any good as there specs look quite good.

Thanks once again.

That Strat will do you just fine, they are kickass guitars. Don't listen to the dude telling you to get a Line 6 and an Ibanez... Not exactly as versatile as you'd like, unless you'd consider being able to play Black, Death, Thrash, and Heavy metal versatile. Go for the Fender you like. As for amps, I'd suggest a Vox AD30VT/ AD50VT depending on the power you need. They have a lovely tone. Not quite as good as a Cube for high gain, but they can still deliver if you tweak 'em right. Anyway, choose the gear you personally like, we can only suggest. Go try out guitars and amps in shops, then order 'em from GAK
Ash is a GREAT tone wood, btw. It's the best for Strats and Teles, IMO, especially swamp ash.
Hi, I'm Peter
Cool thanks.

So on the amp front looks like a choice out of the Cube 30 or Vox AD-30VT. Would any kind soul be able to tell me if there a lot of difference between these two?

This is the fender i spoke of;

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=12358

Its got the look im after, seems good value but i will have a really good look in the store when i get to one later in the week to see if there any others that catch my eye.
comon guys, line 6 does not 'blow goats'.
ive got a pod xtl that i absolutely love, it seriously doesnt deserve the bullheaded bashing it gets from some people.
but as to your question, the vox ad30vt is generally considered a more versatile amp, with better clean/low to mid gain sounds. the cube has better high gain simulations and ok cleans/in between sounds. even though this is what i think, you might want to try them both out and see which you prefer.
with you guitar, again i agree that you should try out all the guitars in your price range (and some expensive guitars, for comparison). i think the most important criteria for you right now is a neck that fits your hand and is not warped or buzzes everywhere.
Quote by flogrock
comon guys, line 6 does not 'blow goats'.
ive got a pod xtl that i absolutely love, it seriously doesnt deserve the bullheaded bashing it gets from some people.
but as to your question, the vox ad30vt is generally considered a more versatile amp, with better clean/low to mid gain sounds. the cube has better high gain simulations and ok cleans/in between sounds. even though this is what i think, you might want to try them both out and see which you prefer.
with you guitar, again i agree that you should try out all the guitars in your price range (and some expensive guitars, for comparison). i think the most important criteria for you right now is a neck that fits your hand and is not warped or buzzes everywhere.

line 6 low end amps do blow goats