Hello.. I have a very noobish kind of problem that might just be my cheap guitars fault..

I bought myself a fender start pack that came with a fender strat, frontman amp and assorted crap items.

I have replaced the amp with an fender FM65R which I love, sounds awesome. I replaced the strap and cable also, since the old cable was kinda giving in and died on me.

But now when I plug in I hear this humming, scratchy sound whenever I want to play.. It isnt as noticeable when I touch the strings but its still there and its annoying to hear the scratching sound go up and down in volume depending on whether I´m touching the strings or not..

Is there some simple solution to this problem? (I hope there is :P). I´m willing to go in there with a screwdriver if I must
sounds like slight feedback.

do you have distortion on when this happens?
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Single coil guitars hum. It's the nature of the beast. That should go away on the 2nd and 4th positions of your pickup switch. The buzzing you get that goes away when you touch the strings is a result of your electrical components being grounded to the bridge.
Hi, I'm Peter
its just the sound from all the electrical stuff around you. there's really nothing you can do unless you want to pay like 200 dollars and buy a noise reduction pedal. there's also this one plug that looks like a converter and what it really does is the same as a noise reduction i saw that cheap but i forget what it is called. its like neurlogic or neur something. hope that helps.

also you could always switch on ur humbuckers. thats the 2 or 4th setting for the switch on strats
you mean a SQUIER pack. humming is normal if its on the single coil selection. and scratchy noise sorry mate dunno
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

He fell for a Squier when he could have had a beautiful Pacifica. A pox on those who created such a foul beast.

Its feedback, good luck
I sit about two or three meters from it when I play.. and I dont play it at a high volume, rarely with any gain...

What can I do to reduce the feedback. I already tried turning off all the electrical equipment in my apartment and it doesnt work.
It can also depend what kind of circuit you're on. It's not feedback. It's 60 Hz hum. There's nothing you can really do to stop it unless you feel like doing a little rewiring and insulating of your guitar.
Hi, I'm Peter
But you may also have to sheild your guitar too. It's pretty bad quality electronics. Just have a look around google. But remember the single coils do, by standard hum. So it'll probably never go totally. But it'd be more subtle.
It's the single coil pickup's that is giving you feedback. Throw a humbucker in and you should be feedback free.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
It's the single coil pickup's that is giving you feedback. Throw a humbucker in and you should be feedback free.

Go for single coil sized bucker or a hum cancelling single if you do that.
You shouldn't teach him the wrong terminology. His problem is NOT feedback.
Hi, I'm Peter
I´ve been taking a look around stewmac... I wrote down some sutff I´m interested in upgrading my strat with:

2 golden age overwound humbuckers..
1 Golden Age Alnico 5 Single-coil Pickups
1 Wiring Kit for Stratocaster
another pickguard

Would this fix my problem and improve tone quality? And are those pickups good? I'm more into classical, these seem ultra cheap and kinda good for theyr price
ahh, and btw.. do fender strats need to be router out in order to fit new pickups? or do they have the space already?
thats a good amp choice man but im amazed the 65R is actually giving you noise problems, when I took lessons w/ my guitar teacher (thats the amp he used) it was insanely clear and I play w/ a simple squier like yourself (except mine has these solid black pickup covers which reduce a bit of buzz you get).

and last time I took apart my squier it looked like it had plenty of room down there near the pickups.
Good to hear that it should have plenty of room..

The amp isnt giving me any problems It sounded crystal clear at the store, I think its just the guitar.
was there ever a point where it was being quiet and not giving you a hum? like did all of a sudden one day your guitar was giving you noise problems? im just trying to figure out if this is something new that would mean something is wrong with your guitar that doesnt need a upgrade.

if the noise has always been there then the scratching humming noise will be there even if you have a humbucker if you arent touching the strings. your electronics need to be grounded. a low end guitar will almost always make some degree of noise. the noise will be the same with a humbucker more or less as having your picking at the 2 or 4 position. you might be better off just buying a new guitar rather than upgrading everything on your strat.

if its something that just started happening it could be a lot of things. might be a bad quality or defective cable or the jack where you plug it in on your guitar could have a bad connection. id check those first.
i do believe most squiers could be swimming pool routed but the only way to find out is to look under your pickguard and see how much space you have there. otherwise you will most likely need to get a new pickguard as well.
Quote by Talmir
ahh, and btw.. do fender strats need to be router out in order to fit new pickups? or do they have the space already?

im pretty sure most squire strats are routed for a humbucker in the bridge at least, but i don't know for a fact
evansut7 : The noise has always been there.. I just attributed it to the crappy amp that came in the box :P The funny thing is that I hear the sound when plugged into my FM65R and the frontman15R, but when I plug into a marshall MS-4 (a tiny little amp I have come to love ´cause its just too handy!) the sound disapears... :S

The list up there would make the guitar "my" guitar.. and upgrade it to boot, making it look better and hopefully sound better... has anyone tried the pickups in that list?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
you mean a SQUIER pack. humming is normal if its on the single coil selection. and scratchy noise sorry mate dunno

maybe not, i've seen a fender started pack in costco, it was fender, i didn't know they had one, but yeah....there's a fender starter pack, and no, not Fender Squire or squier by fender or w/e, it was fender, lol
threadstarter im going to tell u a few things. u can listen or choose to ignore.

1. like said by dirk a few times now. its not feedback its single coil hum, or a loose ground.

if u notice a reduction in noise when u switch to the 2 or 4 spot on ur switch then its single coil hum.
if the noise stops when u touch metal, then its a grounding problem.

if the noise stops or is intermittent when u wiggle the guitar cable, then its either a loose input or a bad cable.

2. if its single coil hum...

u can reduce the noise by adding a silent running single (railled, stacked, or single noiseless)
u can add a humbucker to the bridge.
u can turn off dimmer lights and computer monitors in the area of the amp.
u can foil line the pickup cavity "shield" it.

3. if the noise quiets when u touch metal
then u can check for a loose ground wire.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
A loose ground wire in the guitar then? (sorry, my english is kinda bad and I misunderstand a lot sometimes )
It's alright. A lot of people were misleading you. Your problem is NOT feedback.

Ok, time for a science lesson:

Single coil pickups produce a magnetic field. When you wrap wire around a magnet and introduce a source of electricity, you create an electromagnet, which is what a regular magnetic pickup is. That field, then, picks up anything magnetic that vibrates through it, like a steel string. The problem, though, is that field is also prone to picking up other magnetic fields, like from lamps, or computer monitors, or basically anything else that operates on electricity. This comes across in your sound as a constant hum. BUT...

If you have two pickups with REVERSE POLARITY - meaning North and South are on opposite sides - the two magnetic fields still pickup vibration but cancel out other electromagnetic radiation that causes noise. That's why you don't hear noise in positions 2 and 4 on your Strat, and why guitars with humbuckers don't have that problem.

It sounds like you need to rewire your guitar. Properly ground it. Shield the cavity. You need to get on Google or some other website and do a little research. There are ways of rewiring single coil-equipped guitars that make them as silent as they can possibly be.
Hi, I'm Peter
Check out guitarnuts.com
They have an excellent guide for properly grounding and shielding a guitar, particularly a strat
trying to ground a guitar can oten be a frustrating thing.

if ur getting a hum noise (even after swapping different guitar cables) and its a hum that quiets when u touch the metal bridge or the metal strings on the guitar then yes, there's a good chance that one of the ground wires is loose or disconnected.

the ground wires (maybe black in color) run thru, and touch all the components in the guitar.
a ground wire will touch each pot, the switch, the pickups, one runs from the back trem cavity, and up from the input jack.

its not easy trying to find the problem. But on a strat the easiest place to check is the trem cavity.

turn the guitar over, take off the back plate, look in there, make sure there's a wire connected to the trem.
if not, uve already found the problem.

if there is a wire connected there, u can try looking to make sure the input jack wire is connected. after that, u would have to remove the pickguard and look under there.

while u have the guard off, thats the time to foil line the pickup cavity, and check for any loose or missing ground wires.
but getting the guard off a strat, is a pain unless u know how.

anyway, ive put a ton of info here, so feel free to repost wt questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011