I've been having a lot of problems lately. Everything i make just started to sound the same, sound like it had been done a thousand times over. So i got to thinking, everything i did was based off of true metal songs, Techniques, and stuff that you would hear normally in the black/viking bands that i love. Then i got to thinking, everything i was doing was based from these songs so that i could prove myself to be "true" metal, no "nu" or metalcore. I was making real metal songs, but i forgot what got me into metal, what made me like metal. IT was not the fact that I was listening to real ?metal? but the feeling, the feeling of black/folk/Viking and doom of mysticism, deepness, that cannot exist in any other kind of music. It was that head banging sense that I liked a lot. It was not the metal techniques that made me interested, but the feeling. With that in mind I listened to some of the music that first got me into metal, like bathory?s hammerheart and blood on ice? I felt the power again, and went and looked at my ?demo? or album I?m working on my own. It was decently good technically, the solo?s were decent, some nice riffs from dimished chords and jazz chords. ( I love experimental jazz) but they had no feeling, the lyrics spoke nothing, the guitar playing spoke no emotion, so, I?ve been trying to recreate that feeling I had when I made my own music. I used my own techniques and my own lyrics that spoke from history to try to create mystic music. I think a lot of people can learn this too. Stop trying to make everything be ?true? metal, just let yourself make music you like, and brings you feeling. Don?t say, well, I have to use tremolo picking, and this kind of riff, and this kind of scale so it will be ?true? metal, just make good music that moves you, and if you are a ?true? metalhead, then it will come out music.
Sorry for all the uses of true metal, but I could not could not write this without true metal coming up.
ur right. completely right. but what got me into metal was the teqcniques(spelling?). I loved the solos, that bright sound from bands such as Judas Priests, and the sound of a muted e strings is awesome!
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
ya, the tecnicality, does help with it a lot for some people, who come from the rock scene, but for people like me who come from the folk scene we want the powerfull feelings.
Maybe, but since i went straight into metal, i cant say i know how u feel

McLollercaust with rofflefries
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
Quote by reed
McLollercaust with rofflefries

There are 2 idiots in this thread!

1 - 2!

/the count
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
wtf is going on here?

I've heard that the best way to figure out what kind of music to make as a band is to just jam, and whatever comes out is what will probably end up being played.
"I've heard that the best way to figure out what kind of music to make as a band is to just jam, and whatever comes out is what will probably end up being played."

yeah but my guitar buddy was taught by this guy big into country and rock and roll, so whenever he jams a solo it generally comes out really rock n roll even though he only really likes metal... he has to sit down with a song to get the sound he really wants.
why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Quote by Scourge441
I've heard that the best way to figure out what kind of music to make as a band is to just jam, and whatever comes out is what will probably end up being played.

Too much work. I get the lucky task of walking into practice having about 80% of the music written, and recorded. I just add some leads and solo and I'm done for the day.

Takes me forever and a day to arrange riffs into songs.

I do see where the threadstarter is going though. My personal style developed from not actually learning any songs for several years. This left it all to experimentation. It's not until now I'm actually going back and starting to learn metal songs again.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by kirkisking
There are 2 idiots in this thread!

1 - 2!

/the count

count with me children

von, tu

i laughed. this thread sucks balls. try to articulate a little more.........describe more vividly than a retarded 9 year old. thanks

however, i have expirenced this. just learn other bands songs and rip them off. seriously. then rip off your rip off. you will get better and it will sound more unique.
maybe your right. But i just steal sounds and stuff, and my stuff comes out sounding exactly like 5000 other wannabe black/viking bands out there.
Quote by Spynal
You obviously have never taken a lick of theory in your life, you're pretty dumb, you know that.

Quote by mydadisjewish

i laughed. this guy sucks balls. try to be less dumb.

Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz

I laugh at you. You're stupid. Retarded.

See! I'm the dummy around here...
you lost me after "....problems lately"
Quote by greety

Yes we also shot JFK and faked the moon landing here at the UG Metal Forum.
Learn some music theory and learn stuff from various things, not just metal. Then you'll get at least a little bit of our own sound.
Quote by Yeah Dude
you lost me after "....problems lately"

dont worry its just a long talk about his erectile dysfunction

this thread is kind of pointless. Next time go and post this in the chat thread.
Last edited by somepunkkid at Jul 18, 2006,
your such a goddamned hippy... but your right, its pretty easy to get caught up in what u want to be classified as when writing a song rather than playing whats good
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
go watch the Gorguts lessons on youtube.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
This thread is about as necessary as a golf ball on the antenna of a lime-green monster truck.
and why?
Quote by Spynal
You obviously have never taken a lick of theory in your life, you're pretty dumb, you know that.

Quote by mydadisjewish

i laughed. this guy sucks balls. try to be less dumb.

Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz

I laugh at you. You're stupid. Retarded.

See! I'm the dummy around here...
I had a problem sort of like this - I would think 'Okay, I want this section to be black metal' and instead of trying to make it as good as possible, i tried to make it as black metal as possible, and it turned out not as good.

But then I realised I was doing this, so I stopped.

Hooray...
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY