Okay, this may sound stupid, but when I'm playing my acoustic guitar, my thumb starts to hurt on the back of the neck. I know I'm pressing too hard, but when I loosen up I compromise my sound, as my fingers aren't able to press as hard against the string.

This is a problem....and I need help, b/c i don't know how to solve it.
Thankz!
you gotta build finger strengthn and get use to the fret board.

Many many people complain about cramping and soreness. On my electric guitar, when I first got it, I would have to quit after about an hour or less because my fingers would start throbbing from pressing down so much. Now the are much better though.

But acoustic does take more work to hold the strings down and get the sound. But the longer you play the stronger your fingers will get
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
you gotta build finger strengthn and get use to the fret board.

Many many people complain about cramping and soreness. On my electric guitar, when I first got it, I would have to quit after about an hour or less because my fingers would start throbbing from pressing down so much. Now the are much better though.

But acoustic does take more work to hold the strings down and get the sound. But the longer you play the stronger your fingers will get

ye this is very true i had that problem for about 2 months but practiseed everyday for at least half an hour no probs
I've been playing my acoustic for 7 1/2 months. It recently started....so I was concerned.

Quote by muzz666
You could try lowering the action.

I have no idea what that means....
Well, you ARE pressing too hard.

The thumb really only needs to be lightly on the back of the neck. You don't
need to squeeze the strings down hard with your hand. If your arm is relaxed,
just the simple weight of your arm will do most of the fretting pressure for you.
Let gravity be your friend!
Quote by residentSHIELD
I've been playing my acoustic for 7 1/2 months. It recently started....so I was concerned.

I have no idea what that means....

Action is the distance between your strings and the fretboard of your guitar.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
All You Gotta Do Is Play More!!!!!!!! Eventually Your Fingers/ Hand Will Get Stronger!!!!!
UG's HIPPIE