I've been trying really hard to understand scales but I still don't get them. I don't have enough money or time for a teacher so what is the best thing I can do?
Just play on without theory? to me a scale is just a pattern of notes on the fretboard, nothing more.

I dont know if you have some advice, it will be very appreciated

edit: another thing. I just recieved my guitar back from the shop a few days ago and i told them the low E string and A string buzzed. they said they fixed it, well its a bit better but they still buz, what should i do ?

I know I sound like a complete noob but... I am
PSN name = Barmanation
Last edited by WantToLearn at Jul 17, 2006,
you need some music theory in playing because without it, you can get kind of bored and frustrated with notes that don't sound right. i just went onto this sight for a loonggg time and learned a bunch on scales. i've never had a teacher but ug is pretty good. pick n grin has some good beginner videos that might help you out. search in columns "steal this video" to get those.

the buzzing is from the action not being exact. i sent mine in and they still buzzed slightly but after just practicing for a while they stopped. so just keep playing and it might stop too.
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
thanks for the reply, i'll check out those videos. thanks again =)
PSN name = Barmanation
Ok lets try Scales:

scales are made up of different gaps between notes. These are either tones or semi-tones. A semi-tone is the difference between 1 fret and the next, and a tone is 2 frets. C major is the most basic scale:

C --tone gap- D -Tone gap - E - semi-tone gap - F - tone gap - G - tone - A - tone - B - semi-tone - C

so C D E F G A B C

now, as you can see, most notes have a tone gap inbetween them except for E -> F and
B -> C these have a semi-tone inbetween them. so all the notes in music are (Bb or Cb means 1 semi-tone below that note, # means one above)

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B

now the C major scale we went through before used specific notes in that, which follow a certain pattern which sound nice. specifically(T = tone, ST= semitone)

T T ST T T T ST
C D E F G A B C

we can apply this same major pattern to a different key, so lets start in G

T T ST T T T ST
G A B C D E F# G

now this pattern can be applied to any key, the key being determined by the first note.

Wow, that was much harder explaining then I remember it was figuring it out from what my dad said.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
Main thing is practise. What the guys above said is fine, but I'll add this: make sure you don't move your hand when you're playing scales (unless your reach isn't long enough). Sounds pretty basic, but when I started with scales, I used to play them moving my hand all over the place and playing with my first and middle fingers only. Now that I use all four fingers, my dexterity, mobility, and accuracy have improved. Doing scales is a great excersize for a lot of things.
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Use UG man! It doesn't take money only commitment. thats why people who play guitar for six months constantly sound better than some who have played there whole life. also i've never had a teacher except for books and internet. also see how much you can do with three notes
yeh most scales use frets within a 4 fret wide box, so for thsoe scales tobia is right, you should have each finger on 1 fret and not move your hand horizontally, but if they go outside of a 4 fret box then its ok to move your hand, like the sliding pentatonic, or A natural minor. just try and keep it still a smuch as possible.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
wow thanks dnjoe, you dont know how much you helped me there. all the other times i asked people they explained it in a way like i already knew what they were talking about. you said it nice and simple, i will start 'researching' your advice ^^ thanks again man =)
PSN name = Barmanation
oh yeah, 1 more thing. how do you know which key your playing in?
PSN name = Barmanation
The Root note of the scale. The easiest way is to look at your e-strings. If you're at like the fifth fret, then the key is in A. Third, G, etc. There are a lot of great lessons on this site that can help you out.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association