Click here: Buy Epiphone SG-Special Electric Guitar online at Musician's Friend. Will that be a good first electric guitar? what are some of the ups and downs of it?
before buying your first electric sight unseen (or so I assume) you should really hit up your local guitar store and try a bunch of different brands/models out. Many of them will feel different from each other (neck shape, action, etc...) so find out what you like first, and then decide. Additionally, the sound can vary alot from brand to brand.
Epiphone Les Paul
T. Haruo Acoustic
Fender MusicMan 210 (130w)
my friend got one a few years ago as his first guitar. he loves it. he has it all decked out in all sorts of decals n stuff. but ya. id say its a good beginner/first electric guitar. ive palyed it quite a few times and i liked it.
i have one and it is awesome... it is surprisingly versatile... make sure you get a good amp though... i plan on putting a coil tap in mine
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by sthall
before buying your first electric sight unseen (or so I assume) you should really hit up your local guitar store and try a bunch of different brands/models out. Many of them will feel different from each other (neck shape, action, etc...) so find out what you like first, and then decide. Additionally, the sound can vary alot from brand to brand.

^I agree^And ask the one of the workers What guitar would be best for the kinda music you wanna play, They'll be happy to help,
They do sound pretty good. Good for low gain classic rock. It's a bit bassy for cleans. And has quite a chubby neck. So it strains your hands a bit and will slow you down.
But it makes a good guitar if you're the ac/dc type and don't really want to do the shredding thing.
Have a look at the Yamaha Pacifica and the Ibanez RG while you're at it.
The Special's are nothing too great. I suggest looking into some of the lower end to middle Schecters. The Omen's and the new Omen Extreme's are very cheap and quite good quality. What style of music would you be playing?
Celtic FootballClub1888
What sort of price range are you looking at ?

If you can afford it I can say the Ibanez GRG170DX is a very nice starter guitar. My only regret is that I didn't realise it until after I bought my Pacifica.

- but again I dont know about the one you suggest and the idea of trying out lots of guitars is great advice and the only way you will know which one is right. We are all different, thank god.
Quote by muzz666
The Special's are nothing too great. I suggest looking into some of the lower end to middle Schecters. The Omen's and the new Omen Extreme's are very cheap and quite good quality. What style of music would you be playing?

punk. because I'm saying that, people are now going to tell me to go to walmart and put stickers on it. haha, well **** you. my message is better than yours.

Yeah, my price range is up to 250.

EDIT: Wow, I really like this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRG170DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512496
Last edited by oioi77oioi at Jul 17, 2006,
well u said youre buying ur first guitar. i'd recommend playing a little more to make sure ur gonna stick with it. and once ur sure start cheap. strarts go for almost any style and run prttey cheap too.but you said ur going for acdc so , use the bands signature guitar: SG. personally im more of a hollowbody kind of guy and ibanez delivered
Quote by Six-String King
well u said youre buying ur first guitar. i'd recommend playing a little more to make sure ur gonna stick with it. and once ur sure start cheap. strarts go for almost any style and run prttey cheap too.but you said ur going for acdc so , use the bands signature guitar: SG. personally im more of a hollowbody kind of guy and ibanez delivered

I said nothing about going for an AcDc sound. I said punk. And it's not my first guitar...it's my first electric. I've been playing for around 8 months. At least 2 hours a day. I'm pretty good. I've been playing on an acoustic-electric though. I wanted my fingers to be strong before I got an electric.
Punk eh?

I'd say a strat, But try and find one with a Humbucker in the bridge position.

Also, I would personally reccomend this, As it was my first guitar and it was awesome for Green Day and stuff like that:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-57-Les-Paul-Jr.-Reissue-with-P100?sku=519390

For the Humbucker strat, Go with this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Black-and-Chrome-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=511944
Quote by oioi77oioi
punk. because I'm saying that, people are now going to tell me to go to walmart and put stickers on it. haha, well **** you. my message is better than yours.

Yeah, my price range is up to 250.

EDIT: Wow, I really like this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRG170DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512496

Yup thats the one my friend bought, its got a really nice feel (we noobs think so anyway), basswood body and two humbuckers.

250 ... US$, UK£, Canadian $, Rubels? I ask because I know that ibanez + all the kit you need will come to under £250, but over $250

Is that just for the guitar or do you also need practice amp & accessories?
my brothers friend has one and he leaves it at our house all the time so i play it, he has really old and crappy strings so i can really tell whats its like. but me i would go wiht a fender for a first guitar. they are alot more all-around and user friendly. i know my friend has a squier and even thats prety good for 150 bucks he paid for it. or if you have 400 laying around you could get a mexico make one(alot better than the squier)
my brother plays in a punk band and he has a american strat he got for dirt cheap at a guitar festival. 400bucks for a american '74 wiht a fine tuner and a clamp thingy at top.
id say go for some sort of epiphone Les Paul or epiphone SG.. about every single punk band ive ever seen has had one or the other
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
i'd say buy something EXTREMELY cheap with your eyes closed. well not really but don't pay much attention, as long as it's in one piece, and does not limit you (ie only 21 frets), it's a good starter. Remember, you probably wouldn't know the difference (no offence) so you might as well save your money, and buy a good guitar afterwards
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build