Hey guys,
Im looking to get an all aluminum custom.
It will be based off of the ESP AX-400.

Basically what i want is an all aluminum neck-thru neck. And attached to that will be in aluminum, the outline only of the guitar.

Problem is, Aluminum is not easily workable and needs alot of experience and machining i really dont have.

Can anybody here refer me to either someone who can do this for me, or a company that can do this kind of job?

Thanks !
Bleh.
so basically you want to take a wood guitar and rap it in aluminum?
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
If you can find one nearby, I'd say find a motorcycle shop with a waterjet machine...they can fab a body pretty quickly with a waterjet and probably for a decent price.
Yeah.. we got one of those chopper shops here in montreal, its the smaller shop run by jesse james, might go take a look at it here or some other one, and for metalmilitia, i dont wanna wrap it in aluminum, I want it to be solid aluminum, the entire guitar.
Bleh.
Quote by Viciousxp
Problem is, Aluminum is not easily workable and needs alot of experience and machining i really dont have.

Actually, ally is very good to machine and work with. The only thing that is difficult is welding, for which I'd get a pro welder to do.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Hmm, well also another question i had was how would aluminum sound, does it have good sustain? warm tone ? ect, basically would it be a good meterial to use for a metal guitar.
Bleh.
there was a company who made aluminium guitars in the 70s, and they were used by some quite famous artists like Clapton and some others IIRC.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

there are a few companies out now that use aluminum, either solid of hollow bodies for guitars. if your wanting a solid body your gonna pay alot for a chunk of billet aluminum big enough to do the job. then your gonna pay alot for someone to mill it out. the shop will ned either a weter jet as twostring mentioned or a cnc plasma cutter and a good milling machine. so your looking at a quit expensive project. as far as i know aluminum sounds pretty good if its solid. hollow im not sure. but its sounds like a cool idea. i only wish i had thought of it....lol
but bike shops would probably charge a fortune for something like that especially if its owned by jesse james. you may want to look for a smaller shop with the same equipment because they would probably charge oyu less.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Oh my god... Do you realise you have just bumped a thread that is like 18 months old?

I thought Metal guitars were a pain to tune, due to the metal expanding in heat?
^ Wood moves a lot too you know

Quote by tibs
2 inch thick alum by width and length

and hours of machining and money and you have a aluminum guitar

You do realise how expensive aluminium is don't you? That'd cost quite a lot of money. I suppose you could always try and weigh in the waste, but still...

aluminum foil to the rescue!!!
PSN: KevGuy47
------▓▓▓▓▓
----▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
----▒▒▒░░
--░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒
------░░░░░░░
----▒▒▒▒▒
--▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒
░░▓▓░░
░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░
░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
----▓▓▓----▓▓▓
--▒▒▒--------▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒--------▒▒▒▒
hmmm, aluminum can be easily cut on my band saw, It would go through it like nothing, but it would probably cost tons to get a blank of aluminum that size. I really want to try this eventually but I could not see it ever happening because of time, and money.