Hey, I'd like to tune my guitar down to dropped C, and I heard that I have to "adjust the intonation".
Why do I have to do that and how could I do that?
is it difficult?
this is all you have to do to get it to drop c

Drop C (Drop D down a whole step): C G C F A D

Play the 3rd fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 3rd fret Low E string.

Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.

Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.

Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.

Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E string to match the 5th fret B string.

Play the 12th fret Low E string and the D string open. Retune the 12th fret Low E to match the D string open.
Ok intonation is the length of the strings to the fret board, from the nut to the bridge, if as you go up the fret board fret by fret, The string sounds sharper then Then it should, the string length is to short, and does not line up with the frets, if its sounds flat the string is to long, To adjust the intonation( depending on what kinda bridge you have) you need to adjust the bridge forward or backward To lengthen or shorten the string, I would recommend Getting someone to teach you this first hand,
Last edited by Spade1 at Jul 17, 2006,
yesss!
you do need to set the intonation if your guitar has been set up for standard tuning
which is likely
because where the open strings may well be in tune, another fret eg the 12th might not be and therefore will give the impression you are out of tune
which is not good
i've been meaning to set up the intonation on my rg actually, its not set up for the .9s i use on it...
^Well yes thats True^ but are you changeing The string guage? or keeping the ones you have? if your changeing your string gauge, yess the intonation will be off, if not I wouldn't worry, But be on the safe side and check any way in either case,
i know it is off :] thats why it needs changing
the intonation and tremolo were set for .10 strings
and i prefer the .9s on that guitar
so ive already adjusted the tremolo for obvious reasons
but the intonation is a little off and i dont like it x]
INTONATION IS TUNING.

do u check ur tuning? sure u do.

fret the 12th fret, see if ur guitar is in tune. if not, compared to the open string or to the 12th fret harmonic, then tune it.

NOT WITH THE TRUSS ROD.
its nothing to do wt that.

ur turning a screw on the bridge until the two readings match thats all.

on a strat its # 2

on TOM its the arrow...

setting intonation from icepoint...
SETTING INTONATION:
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 17, 2006,
how the fack do i set intonation on my RG?

christ. its damn near impossible

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Jenny, I have a tune-o-matic, like the second pic u posted. My intonation is WAAAY off (some frets just buzz and dont even ring out)

But how can I adjust it without taking the strings off? It's under the strings so I cant get a screw driver under there. And how am I supposed to do it if I take off the strings? Just keep re-stringing it over and over to test and see if I got it right? It seems impossible...
nah u need a tiny driver. like the kind from eye glass kits or a stubby handle.
the strings stay on
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by JanickClone
how the fack do i set intonation on my RG?

christ. its damn near impossible

http://ww.ibanez.com/support/howtos.asp
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62