Mine starts out with me already having the song in my head and knowing each detail. Then my drummer tells me to repeat it over and over again, while the bass makes a perfect part for it in one try. My second guitarist is yelling at me from my right asking what notes and scales I am playing. It's really hectic and we fight a lot, but in the end we end up just freakin rocking. OH yeah my brother who is the singer just stands there and sings at the end lol.
My Gear to date
Schecter S-1 Elite
Crappy Johnson 15 watt amp
Digitech Metal Master Pedal
Boss Metal Core Pedal
Boss RC-2 Loop Station Pedal
Ahhh more but I am to lazy to put it all

I Need A New Stack!
what do you play? lead guitar? well i just have jam sessions with a bassist i know... no drummers round these parts
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
what do you play? lead guitar? well i just have jam sessions with a bassist i know... no drummers round these parts

Well thats hard to say, cause sometimes I will play lead stuff and other times I will play rythm stuff.
My Gear to date
Schecter S-1 Elite
Boss Metal Core Pedal

I Need A New Stack!
I pretty much have all the music already made up, or occasionally(yesterday) I make something up at the spot if needs to be.
Then me and the drummer or me and the singer make the rest of the song out of it.

the other band, is pretty much me being a lazy ass, waiting for the other guitarist to come up with something cool and see what I can do with it.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I come with riffs, drummer jams over it until he finds something fitting, and then I make a bass line for our bassist to play (I'm just that great ). Only being able to practice once every 1-2 weeks is a drag though (work, pfft).
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
First we start off by practicing old songs.

Then, if we want to make a song, and since we just started, that's almost always a yes. Me and the other guitarist usually Guitar Pro a couple parts before hand, and then jam stuff out while the others sit in a corner and talk. Then we show the bassist the rythm part, and we play it on loop until the drummer gets a beat for it. Then the singer plugs his lyrics in and we do any extra work, like how many times a part should be played, or things like that.

And Viola, new song.
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
We usually start off with a fairly easy song to warm up and get into the swing of things, blast into a couple of originals and tighten them up, go for a smoke break, come back, jam on WIP stuff to try and bring them on, run through a cover or two, blast through a song or two we're comfortable with and end it on a high.

Nobody writes anyone elses parts.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I'll come in having learneds all the songs we need, and no one else will hve practiced anything, so I have to take like a bloody hour to teach my bass player and rythm guitar all the riffs and parts, and then we'll run through the song, but they'll all drop out within about 30 seconds, but me and my drummer are pretty fluent, I could play alongside him in time for hours. The My other guitar player and bassist don't feel like writing stuff, so they sit down and start picking more cover songs.

Iknow it sounds really bad, but we're starting out, the only reason I'm doing it is to jam with the drummer, we such a good vibe (we've also known echother for like 10 years), but he'll only play, of Guitar #2 is in he band.

Oh, I write the riffs, bass just mimics, and we don't have a singer.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
DON'T write other member's parts, it stifles the creative flow. i'm the bass and when i was in a band, someone writes some lyrics and starts summarizing the way it goes, a musician starts playing a little riff/ beat, and other musicians fill it in. (or we just play some fun cover song and go home before curfew) too bad the band moved away from eachother
bananabananabanana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta *pie*

Quote by Bmm386
I think they should make a GTA paris in like 1795.
Your only goal is to feed your family and keep your horse alive.

Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
it hit the twin towers, not the pentagon, idiot
I hear where you coming from, but I don't, I'll write a riff, the drummer will play something, and the bass and G2 will just mimic what I'm doing, you as a bass player should know that its funner to drift between the guitar line and the ddrum beart, and kind of be a 3rd instrument, not support. Kind of like Flea and John Fruisante(I spelt that wrong.)

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
We usually start off with a comfortable piece that we have been playing for a while and that we all like.. just to get things loosened (also maybe tell each other what we've been listening too the last couple of days, have a few laughs, and talk about up coming gigs).

We then get down to it and I present the new music/or new parts to a song each practice and me and the keyboardist (also the vocalist) throw around some ideas for melodies and what not. When we've got a certain part that we both think is solid, we play it with the bassist and drummer a few times and let them figure out reasonable rhythm details that support the song. And we build our new songs like that.

Also, throughout the practice we comment on each other's playing, whether it be that we have an opinion on how the singer sings a certain part.. the drummer drums a certain part or w/e.. and we just share our thoughts.) At the end, everyone knows what to work on till next time and we do it.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
1. We just run our set, usually without a hitch.

2. As far as writing new material, I come in, and the rhythm tracks and drum programming are already done, so I get the other guitarist to show me his parts, then give me a CD of the rhythm and drums. I go home, write my parts, and we're back to step 1.

Then again, we're really not your typical band in that sense.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
We have a 20 song set list mostly covers. We play three songs sets, then have a smoke break and decide what the next three songs are going to be. This continues till the end of practice.
Everyone is supose to be practicing there parts at home (but that doesnt always happen). Band practice is for the band to practice not for someone to figure a song out.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
My bassist is actauly a guitar player....
My Gear to date
Schecter S-1 Elite
Boss Metal Core Pedal

I Need A New Stack!
Ours are everybody gets set up, then make sure everythings working then followed by some productiveness and also some just everybody playing random ****....
I write songs properly with the drummer before the bassist and guitarist are there. Then we all get set up. I teach the other guys the song while the drummer gets his tea. Then the drummer comes back in, we rock out that aforementioned song, then play things we know to get them tightened up. Then the shirts come off, we piss about, fights start, we take the piss out of each others music and technical fluency, we play stuff crappily, and stupid jams for no reason, and someone takes off their guitar to indicate that that's enough for one night, we take beer out the fridge, get happy, go onto the trampoline and get some banter.
Banter Assassin. Every thread I touch dies.

Quote by Danno13
YDPBC > awesome.

Why Thank You.
depending on how much time we have, we usually run through our set once, fine tune anything we need to. Work on new stuff for awhile, play a few older songs, work on new stuff. Yeah it just goes back and forth, small 10 minutes breaks or something every like 2 hours.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
Quote by Spynal
1. We just run our set, usually without a hitch.

2. As far as writing new material, I come in, and the rhythm tracks and drum programming are already done, so I get the other guitarist to show me his parts, then give me a CD of the rhythm and drums. I go home, write my parts, and we're back to step 1.

Then again, we're really not your typical band in that sense.

and your band is awesome...just had to say that

green_machine, i agree with letting other musicians take their creative course, but it's very hard to find a bassist who can improvise a decent bassline or at the very least recognize the root notes, so sometimes it's necessary
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
me: hey guys i spent five hours practicing last night and came up with a couple new originals.

bassist/vocals: great let me screw around and play in different keys while you play your stuff over and over when i'm supposed to be trying to come up with a part and not write any lyrics

drummer: dang, FIVE HOURS OF PRACTICE thats like more than i've done in my life.

me: fine i'll come with parts for both of you later. this next song is in f# dorian

bassist: what the **** is an f#
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Last edited by RHCPKicksA$$ at Jul 24, 2006,
We usually will get all our stuff set up, go for a smoke, then start off with a cover. After that we will play our songs that the bassist and I already wrote before hand. Work on peoples parts and get everything to sound good. Then play a couple of covers and call it a day.
Turn Off Your Mind, Relax And Float Downstream

...and if you don't know where your going, any road will take you there