Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but yeah

Well basically I'm looking to improve my gear which is a crappy strat copy and practise amp. I only have the money to get one new thing, i also have a zoom g2 effects pedal. I know everyone says that an amp is much more important to tone than guitar but:

The problems in my tone seem to be from my guitar, ie. higher up the fretboard the tone gets much weaker, on a higher gain patch on my multi fx i can hear my plec scraping the string, the 2 tone knobs have absolutely no effect whatsoever, and since i like to play metal having a strat with only single coils may not be a good idea...? not sure though, maybe some of these problems are my amp. And the only problem i have with my amp at the moment is the bad built in overdrive, but that why i have my fx. Its definitely loud enough for my uses (practising and occasional jamming with friends)

So yeah, is the amp really that much more important? thanks
Yes, you should not have to depend on a your instrument in order to sound good (you should be able to do that with your own fingers) but you need a good quality amp that will give you the sound your looking for and that will support you.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by foxboxes
... i can hear my plec scraping the string, the 2 tone knobs have absolutely no effect whatsoever, and since i like to play metal having a strat with only single coils may not be a good idea...?

Sounds like you're holding your pick perpendicular to the strings when you attack instead of parallel.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Jul 17, 2006,
yes the amp does make a huge difference. but since you dont like any of your gear, why not just save up and replace everything alltogether?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Well try playing a Les Paul Custom through my Fender Amp, then try playing a Squire through a Carvin.

Then tell me
my little brother has one of those mini squires, i play it through my Marshall JTM 60 and it doesnt sound too bad, great for blues if you ask me, the amp makes a gigantic difference
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
It depends really. An amp is very important if you want a good technique and want to play live or with bands.

But if you really dislike your guitar and aren't having fun on it, then it's worth thinking of getting one you like more.

You do have to know that it's actually your guitar you don't like, and not just you're not good at it yet. (My sister has a really crappy strat copy, the actions pretty crap, it sounds like **** and it horrible to play. She doesn't play guitar much, and because of this she's not very good. Had she got a better guitar, she probably would have enjoyed playing it more, thus played it more, thus been better at it).

But still on the other side, you really don't want to be one of those guys who think "I'd be better if I could only get that new guitar/pedal". All I'm saying is you at least need a guitar you like played. Once you've got that, you shouldn't need a new one for some time (or ever?).
yeah it really depends
your original question, yes the amp is atleast twice as important as the guitar itself. My friend plays bass and broke his fender pbass the day of a show, and he couldn't get it to a shop so he used his 80$ rouge through a tube bass amp and it sounded great.

but..

if your happy with the sound your getting, and your that upset about your guitar then get the guitar, pretty much how Ockeroid said it. Try going to a store and take your guitar and test out some amps, my local store lets me bring in my pedals and guitar to test out their amps, and see if your idea isn't changed
Quote by foxboxes
The problems in my tone seem to be from my guitar, ie. higher up the fretboard the tone gets much weaker, on a higher gain patch on my multi fx i can hear my plec scraping the string

This is actually pretty normal with high gain. It can be reduced by using the super hard plastic picks, but seriously, the faster you play the less noticable it is. If you listen closely you can hear it in a lot of live performances and even on recordings.
if you wanna have better tone, get a new amp. If you wanna play better (only if you have a ****ty starter), get a new guitar. I'd personally go with the guitar. You can always use someone else's amp durring a gig, but you cant borrow someone's guitar to learn on.
Originally posted by priest.fan.
yeah, I suffered deep emotional scars when I learned that easter was in fact about jesus, and not a giant bunny sneaking into peoples houses uninvited
Obviously to get the best sound, you need both to be decent. But if I was forced to choose, I'd go with getting the best amp. A $250 Mexican Strat with sound good through a Bogner Shiva but a $3000 Framus guitar will still sound like crap through a Gorilla amp. As long as the guitar is halfway decent you should be OK if you have a good amp.
Hold up, its up to you to get which ever, if you want a new guitar, get a new guitar, i know how much strat copies annoy when you are trying to learn metal, I knew that i needed a new amp but i'm only using it to practice or have a regular jam so i didnt buy a new one, hell i went away for the weekend and managed to perform to 18 people using a squier sp.10 amp, i was still a hit, they loed the sound and the look of my guitar, its totally up to you, I'd get the guitar, then the amp
get a modelling amp and a good guitar is my suggestion. cause an amp is so personal that you kind of need to be playing for a while to get a good one, plus a midrange guitar = 500 us$, a midrange amp = 1000$ US.
when most people say amp>guitar, we kind of assume the basic criteria are met, and the rule only applies to how much the change will improve your sound. honestly, a guitar is not much more than a wood casing for some electronics, and the return on investment gets smaller the more you pay (after about 1.5K youre paying for the brand name/****ty looking quilt top, imo). amps are much more intricate and keep on noticably changing your sound up till the ridiculously expensive boutique range.

in your case, your guitar sound like its a piece of ****. ditch it and try out a ton of guitars, you can always find some pretty cheap that has:
1-nice feeling neck (this depends on your hand size)
2-good intonation/adjustable buzz (some guitars just cant get intonated even with a professional setup)
basically, the amp is more important most of the time. Unless (a) your guitar is unplayable or (b) it has the wrong pickups for the music you play/isn't aimed at the music you play.

Sounds like you may want a new guitar.

Best way to find out is to try both, though- try your guitar through a new amp, and then try a new guitar through your amp. buy whichever sounds better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?