Hey,
Sorry to do this, i've looked at other threads and haven't quite found everythin i bin lookin for.

Basicly, i have saved up for some while and have to make me mind up.
I want an ernie ball bass, they look good and play good, also, i dont know if ne of you guys are watchin rock star: supernova (tommy lee, gilby clarke and jason newsted). The house band Bass player (krivstov i think his last name was) had an awesome tone while playin my generation with Magni. He uses a stingray amongst many other nice basses)

The thing is i loved that tone, but i was wondering, can it only be achieved with the stingray or perhaps a sterling or god forbid a bongo (i dont doubt the tone, i havent got to grips with quite radical shape yet). Also what are the main differences and what are the best configurations, ideally i want it to be suitable for slap, whether this would make any difference particularly with 2 pickups as opposed to just the one.

i was reading a post earlier about musicman SUB. From that i understand the main differences between the 2, but was wondering is it really worth the extra cash for a full stingray sterling, if this can get the same sound.

My current gear is a custom jazz bass, which i love, but i have always wanted a stingray type bass.

I like to play all styles of music, but tend towards rock and metal, but like i say i play all styles.

Sorry to keep goin but the main reason i have always been attracted to stingrays is probably through flea, and i was also wondering after being fortunate to see him rock out the other week, what about his signature modulus bass, waiting aint a problem. The main problem with the flea bass is i havent seen anyhere stck them at all.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Stingray: Large body, alder/ash depending on finish choice, P-bass type neck w/ 21 frets, maple or rosewood neck fretboard, maple neck Musicman pickup with Alinco magnets, 2 or 3 band EQ with optional piezos. Comes in classic H, HH, and HS (HS is actually HSS, but the middle single coil, between the neck & bridge pup, is covered by the pickup and acts only as a hum-canceller.

Stingray 5: Large body, alder/ash depending on finish choice, P-bass type neck w/ 21 frets, maple or rosewood neck fretboard, maple neck a bit closer string spacing, Musicman 5 pickup w/ Alinco magnets, 3-band active EQ w/ optional piezos. Has a 3 way switch for both coils in series, single coil,a nd both coils in parralel. Comes in H, HH, and HS. The single coil in the SR5 is a double-stacked coil, I believe.

Sterling: Smaller body, more contoured, alder/ash depending on finish choice, J-bass like neck w/ 22 frets, maple or rosewood neck fretboard, maple neck Musicman pickup with Ceramic magnets, 3-band active EQ w/ optional piezos. Comes with the 3-way switch for series/single/parallel. Comes in H, HH, and HS. The S is a double coil.

Bongo: Radical new body style, select basswood body (None of that cheap ibanez basswood), maple neck, rosewood fretboard, 24 frets, Musicman pickup w/ Neodidyum magnets, 4-band active EQ on HH & HS models, 3-band on H modles. Comes with optional piezo. Comes in 4 or 5 string.

Later on this year there will be a Sterling 5 model, which assumably will be the same as an SR5 but with smaller body and thinner neck (The Sterling is the 4 string version of the SR5 basically)
haha
You can. I would go for a Sterling. I don't like the size or roundness of the Stingray's body.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Wow, what a response, particularly MetalUpTheAss, your like the bible on this kind of stuff.

Just out of curiosity what are the advantages of piezo pickups. I have already decided i will definitely get the 3eq version of whichever bass. Probably ash body with maple neck.

I guess next phase is to get down and check out all the sterling and stingrays possible. My local music stores are ok, but looks like i'm goin have to go to Birmingham or Manchester, i know PMT in Birmingham stock many Musicman's.

Many Thanks
Quote by ml84k3r
Wow, what a response, particularly MetalUpTheAss, your like the bible on this kind of stuff.

Just out of curiosity what are the advantages of piezo pickups. I have already decided i will definitely get the 3eq version of whichever bass. Probably ash body with maple neck.

I guess next phase is to get down and check out all the sterling and stingrays possible. My local music stores are ok, but looks like i'm goin have to go to Birmingham or Manchester, i know PMT in Birmingham stock many Musicman's.

Many Thanks

The 3 EQ is only an option on Stingray 4's anyways, and IMO not a worthwhile option.

I too prefer maple necks on EBMM's (And really all Leo Fender created instruments). I love the bark and bite it gives.

Ash bodies are only available on trans finishes, most of the time if you order a solid color it will be alder (Ash & Alder are very similar, alder is a bit more classic while ash is a bit more bite-y, but ash looks nicer w/ trans finishes).

Now, onto the piezos. A piezo is when tiny microphones are put in the saddle of the bridge, so you can get an almost acoustic like bit out of them. Personally, I like the piezo option because A) It can give that uber nice clean sound which is good if you need to emulate acoustic tones and B) When you blend the magnetic pickups with the piezo pickups (distortion optional) you can get very clean very nice tap tone.
haha
O, btw,slap bass is harder to play with the two pickups (bongo ect.). I found it hard as there is no room to get ur finger underneath the string, but im sure if u started with the two it would be easy.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->