Could the diminished scales be used in metal music?

for example,

a riff like this

E-------------------------------------------------------l---------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------l----------------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------------------l----------------------------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------------------------l---------------------------------------------------------
A-----2-------------------------------------3--5------l-----2-------------------------------------6--5-------
E-----0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1--3------l-----0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-4--3------

If so what Diminished scale?

Thanks In advance
Last edited by Luke666 at Jul 17, 2006,
oh hell yea they can

a diminshed scale/or arpeggio:

----------------------------------11-14----------------------------------------
--------------------------10-13------------------------------------------------
-------------------8-11-------------------------------------------------------
------------7-10--------------------------------------------------------------
-------6-9-------------------------------------------------------------------
--5-8------------------------------------------------------------------------

check out foul body autopsy by necrophagist for a neat use of diminished stuff in metal, and yngwie seems to like diminished alot to..

its pretty easy to put into a song, because all of the notes are the roots, so it would work well if you moved wat i tabbed out up a half step so you pass over the e on the 5 string
Last edited by metal_man12 at Jul 17, 2006,
thanks thats a great help but could you clarify what you mean by :

Quote by metal_man12

its pretty easy to put into a song, because all of the notes are the roots, so it would work well if you moved wat i tabbed out up a half step so you pass over the e on the 5 string

much appreciated
children of bodom uses the diminished 7 arpeggios and diminished scales quite a bit, check out one of their tabs
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by Luke666
thanks thats a great help but could you clarify what you mean by :

much appreciated

i'll jump in here
Say you play the diminished chord G Bb Db E
now move that chord up just one half step and you have Ab B D F
let's move that up a half step and we'll have A C Eb F#
there, contained within those three dimished chords are all 12 notes. try starting the chord on any note within any of the three chords above and you'll find it'll always have the same note! Thus, for that first chord, the root could be G, Bb, Db, or E! YAY!
wat i meant was that you can start on any note of the diminished arpeggio/scale and it will still sound diminished. if you were ti start on the 3rd degree(which would then be phyrgian) of the major scale, and then play the scale until you reach the 3rd notes octave, it will give a way different feel(latin and spanish sounding) then if you were to start on the first note and played to its octave.

now i say it would work well if you raised wat i tabbed a half step because then you would pass over an e on the 5th string(7th fret), which would sound good with the e chug thing youve got going there.

hopefully that explained it better...
Quote by metal_man12
oh hell yea they can

a diminshed scale/or arpeggio:

----------------------------------11-14----------------------------------------
--------------------------10-13------------------------------------------------
-------------------8-11-------------------------------------------------------
------------7-10--------------------------------------------------------------
-------6-9-------------------------------------------------------------------
--5-8------------------------------------------------------------------------

check out foul body autopsy by necrophagist for a neat use of diminished stuff in metal, and yngwie seems to like diminished alot to..

cool stuff man.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
you could also do sweep picking on a F#dim arpeggio.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Emg Pick-ups
Marshall MG50DFX
Digitech Death Metal

I am the Eggman