wow i just looked at some videos of some hardcore shredding video #1 video#2 video#3
those where jsut acouple if them, if you wnat to see more go to google and type in google video, then type in shred and a whole bucnh of them will pop up. now i wanna know everything i can about this stuff. does anyone know of like a free online lesson of this stuff, i need to know these things. also all of the videos i saw everyone had ibenez guitars, i was thinking about getting a epiphone g-400, would the g-400 not be a good guitar for me to later on learn how to shred like these people, if the sg is nt a good guitar for shreding then could i get some suggestions for a good shredding guitar
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
an Ibanez RG321MH wouldbe good, thin neck and all, but the guitar doesnt make the shredder, the person does
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

maybe an ibanez or if u want epiphone at least get a LP. Also possibly a Fender. (possibly)
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Bpags868
maybe an ibanez or if u want epiphone at least get a LP. Also possibly a Fender. (possibly)

it would be hard to shred on an epi LP, the necks thick and theres not much upper fret access. it can be done, of course, its just harder

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by Bpags868

ya i was thinking about a fender mexico fat strat would this be a good choice
i would go with ESP, Jackson, or Ibanez.

would someone mind telling me what kind of tapping technique the guy in the red with the explorer played.
i know its tapping...maybe it was the arrangement of notes... but it was cool.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Last edited by xsynysterx06 at Jul 17, 2006,
Quote by xsynysterx06

agreed.. most shredders use some type of metal-ish guitar (unless youre Ymengie, of course ) with a Floyd Rose whammy on it.. that would probably be your best optionif youre getting into shred

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
and to threadstarter. you said everyone in the videos has ibanez guitars...so far ive watched video one and two you posted.

no ibanez's.
there was a jackson in the second video, like i suggested

EDIT: i just watched the 3rd video...it was a bc rich.
idk where you saw all the ibanez's.
i also think that video 3 was edited to play faster than recorded.
cause is hand was faster than the ADULT in video 2.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Ampeg 50 watt
Last edited by xsynysterx06 at Jul 17, 2006,
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
agreed.. most shredders use some type of metal-ish guitar (unless youre Ymengie, of course ) with a Floyd Rose whammy on it.. that would probably be your best optionif youre getting into shred

who the hell is Ymengie?!
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
he spelled it wrong... idk how to spell it...but his last name is malmsteen and he shreds with strats
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Ampeg 50 watt
Quote by axe_grinder247
who the hell is Ymengie?!

Ywengie Malmsteen. it was a typo. and if u dont know who he is i suggest you look him up before you get stabbed..

Quote by richwatkinson
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
Ywengie Malmsteen. it was a typo.

Good thing you corrected it
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
Ywengie Malmsteen. it was a typo. and if u dont know who he is i suggest you look him up before you get stabbed..

It's Yngwie,,,,,,pronounced Eng-vay,,,,,or something close to that.
Quote by xsynysterx06

would someone mind telling me what kind of tapping technique the guy in the red with the explorer played.
i know its tapping...maybe it was the arrangement of notes... but it was cool.

i also have a question about the guy/girl in red, was that a guy in chick clothes i saw, i couldnt tell what he waslol
Quote by xsynysterx06
and to threadstarter. you said everyone in the videos has ibanez guitars...so far ive watched video one and two you posted.

no ibanez's.
there was a jackson in the second video, like i suggested

EDIT: i just watched the 3rd video...it was a bc rich.
idk where you saw all the ibanez's.
i also think that video 3 was edited to play faster than recorded.
cause is hand was faster than the ADULT in video 2.

ya i kinda noticed that too about the bcrish guy, no if you go to google then type in google video then type in shred the list of videos will come up almost all of the people on the first page have ibenez
im gonna buy a new guitar soon and i now just came across this shredding stuff, what good elements of a guitar help for shreddig, what are good characteristics for shredding, and plz some shredding lesson plz. the kind of lessons im looking for is to make me, who can only read tabs on guitar but i can read music(used to play piano) and be able to know scales like the videos and be able to play fast but it doesnt have to be that fast like rusty cooly
about how long do you think those guys practice before they were able to play like that, i really want to learn to do that and i was wondering the discipline it will take
Quote by rokket2005
It's Yngwie,,,,,,pronounced Eng-vay,,,,,or something close to that.

THANK YOU! I was about to stab some of these ppl in the face over the net...
Well, it depends how easily u get up to the desired speed, and how much skill u have already...
Personally, I doubt u have the required time to practice as they did (like I've heard some played 8 hours a day & dropped outta scool & stuff)

So basically, as u can tell, the discipline is high. However, u'd be surprised as to how playing it slow at first then speeding it up later works. I approach shred (and pretty much any music I learn now) that way. Sometimes, it can be hours b4 u learn something, other times; months! Just take ur time and stick w/ it. If it really interests u, go all the way. As long as ur persuing something that interests u, I can't see why u won't succeed eventually...

And yes, "Ing-vay" is the english pronunciation of Malmsteen's name. Thx fer cleaning it up rokket2005.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25

It's still a typo, even in swedish spelling, the most common from is

Yngwie or Ingwie (the latter is less commonly used)
it's pronounced Ing-Vay (as in, eeeng - wahy)

You should seriously get a flamethrower and scorch your nuts until they become marshmellows so the dogs can eat them..because your existence as a man just disgraces us all.
a lot of people dont shred on ibanez/jackson/esp. many shred on les pauls, sg's, strats and teles. i guess it's easier to "shred" on something with a thin neck, and it is kind of better to have a locking tremelo in this kind of music.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
Quote by ScreaminBlues25

i've never heard of Ymengie Malmsteen...why don't you try typing that into google, see what pops up

i suggest you look up Yngwie Malmsteen, because that dude up there isn't a gutiarist

*teabags ScreaminBlues25*
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
i've never heard of Ymengie Malmsteen...why don't you try typing that into google, see what pops up

i suggest you look up Yngwie Malmsteen, because that dude up there isn't a gutiarist

*teabags ScreaminBlues25*

ok seriously dude wtf is ur problem. i really dont care whether i spelled it right or not, my point was that he shreds on strats, and now this has blown up into like 10 people correcting me which is really retarted. ok i spelled his name wrong, you all know who the hell im talking about so you can stop correcting me.

Quote by richwatkinson
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
ok seriously dude wtf is ur problem. i really dont care whether i spelled it right or not, my point was that he shreds on strats, and now this has blown up into like 10 people correcting me which is really retarted. ok i spelled his name wrong, you all know who the hell im talking about so you can stop correcting me.

lol
the third guy was fast fowarded you can tell cause his head banging skips lol
the second guy was perty amazing tho, nice sweep pickin
Quote by Supermanowns1
the third guy was fast fowarded you can tell cause his head banging skips lol
the second guy was perty amazing tho, nice sweep pickin

the second guy was fast and all, but the first video all of them played really good together, there song sounded more of like a song than just shredding scales. heres another vvideo#4 ideo of the same guiy in the second one but in more of a song that scales
Quote by iam2phat
a lot of people dont shred on ibanez/jackson/esp. many shred on les pauls, sg's, strats and teles. i guess it's easier to "shred" on something with a thin neck, and it is kind of better to have a locking tremelo in this kind of music.

dont sg's have huge necks though

and for the ibanez well im looking at the s series and the zr tremelo, ive heard its one of the best in the world, is this true
well, most of the Sg's I've played with have wide-ass necks, but a small-feeling fretboard & killer reach...

As for Ibanez S-series, u can bet that they're excellent guitars-especially for shredders. I'm not sure if they're the best, every1 has different opinions on everything, so I guess making that decision is up to you.
Quote by mightykyle
Those Petrucci Videos were hilarios

lol i guess, but what was funny was i was watching them and my little brother whos 10 came up to me and asked me if its really possible to get the strings up to the heat of the sun, then he told me if they did they would melt and the neck would catch on fire olololololololol
Quote by iam2phat
many shred on les pauls, sg's, strats and teles. i guess it's easier to "shred" on something with a thin neck

um les pauls have gigantic necks so theyre not really that popular for shredding... i think sg necks are rather large as well, but strats and teles are easily "shreddable"

Quote by richwatkinson
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
um les pauls have gigantic necks so theyre not really that popular for shredding... i think sg necks are rather large as well, but strats and teles are easily "shreddable"

*Points to avatar*
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

LOL! @ the 'Yngwie' butchering
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
Quote by Godly Moose
*Points to avatar*

i didnt say it wasnt done, i just said its not as popular to do it. way to completely change what i said...

Quote by richwatkinson
Quote by ScreaminBlues25

The problem is, that you made a serious typo which was consistant with your knowledge of shredders.

do you mean 'retarded', and yes, 10 people just died by your spelling skillz.

Sure, lets start spelling Albert Einstein as 'Allbutt Ianstine'

Seriously, scorch your nuts.