I play death metal primarily and am building a guitar. Everyone says to get EMG active pickups and suppposedly the KFKs are the best of them? Is this a good choice for a player of my style?

any comments on them?
Its an 81/85 combo with a gain booster or something with his name slapped on it.
Quote by SEALSniper1152
it's an alright deal... personally i like the KH-21 config. with 2 81's, but that's just me

WHy exactly?
i have the zakk wylde 81/85 set without the gain boost and they are damn awesome. don't think they need gain boost but i guess it wouldn't hurt just give you a different sound.
i heard that if you use a booster with a EMG active on anything with alot of gain, or more like metal and stuff compared to acdc stuff. that it sounds like pure crap. but isnt the zakk wylde set cheaper

if it is get it, i dont think its worth getting the booster
R.I.P. Dime
"Forever Shred On"
Last edited by chums at Jul 17, 2006,
They're good, but I personally like the 81/60 combo because the 60 gets better cleans than the 85.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by aragoncustoms
Hmmm, but I dont plan on really playing clean.....??

Why?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Why?

Because thats just not a style that I enjoy. I would rather emphasize what I will be playing most, death metal.
Then go ahead and get the 81/85
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
I've had a couple sets of the 81/85, it's a decent combination. I prefer the 89 to the 85, and the only wood I really like the 85 in is mahogany personally. In anything else, I've found it to be too "boomy" for the stuff I play.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids