My band is pretty good. Nothing extraordinary, but just a solid little band. However, as good as I may think we are, I just feel like it won't last that long. I always get the fealing that it could fold up within a matter of weeks (we've been together a few months now though, so we have held out a while). The problem is, I write all of our material. If the band were to fold, the other guys know the songs and I just have this minor fear in my head that they could go off and use the songs as their own. Yeah, laugh at me, call me paranoid or whatever - but it's just something that's in the back of my head.

I'll write a song and be proud of it. Then one of two things happens. Either I'll bring it in and then have that little thing in the back of my head telling me it won't last (and then I feel like the song is a total waste), or I won't bring it in for fear of that happening because the particular song means alot to me and I don't want it to just go by the way side. Once I bring a song in, it becomes the band's song and no longer just mine.

I don't know if anyone can relate to this at all, but I figured I'd just throw it out there. I mean, I don't know how to get over this. It would just suck if I write all of these, what I think are, pretty good songs and then the band folds and it's like they're all wastes. I mean, imagine if, oh I don't know - this is purely fictional, but let's say Nirvana never got signed and their first album was 'Nevermind'. Kurt brings in all of these good songs, and then the band breaks up. Well, what would become of them? It would be like, "well, that's a shame". He could go on to write more stuff, but some of his best stuff is on that album and no one would have even got to hear it.

I don't know, I just don't know how I feel anymore. See, the band consists of me on vocals and guitar, a bass player, and a drummer. The bass player is my best friend and I've played with him on and off for about three years. He's the only bass player I know that has the same musical interest as me. But, like I said, he's the only one I've ever played with and sometimes it just feels so stale and I wish I could find someone else. He's good, but I don't know if that means he's who I should be with, ya know? But then part of me will love playing with him. It's a push and pull thing in my mind. Also, the drummer is a guitar player originally and is only playing drums because we couldn't find a drummer. Luckily, he's halfway decent.

Like I said, we sound okay, but sometimes I feel like the only reason I'm sticking around is because I won't be able to find other people to play with (and the song issue I mentioned above, I don't know why, but that seriously concerns me). It just doesn't feel exciting anymore. Like, when they say they want to jam, sure I like it, but I don't always feel the drive that I probably should. I mean, the drummer isn't even a real drummer. He likes being in a band though, so that's why he's sticking with it. Like I said, he isn't bad but sometimes I'll feel like; "Damn, a better drummer would have played something better there. A better drummer would have hit them harder..."

I don't know, sorry for the rant guys, but I just needed to get this all out there. Maybe someone who can relate could respond with something to give me some perspective...
Well, if you're not happy about your drummer, then find a replacement.

As for the main problem, couldn't you just copywrite the lyrics and some of the riffs? And if the band splits, go out as an acoustic performer for a while.
I'm gonna be blunt about this.

You're problem is not your band, it's you.

Just stop worrying so much about the what if's? I mean if they take your songs then you can sue them for royalties. It's not for nothing because if the band does break up, you can also take your songs with you as well as your experience with writing songs.

But if you don't feel like you should be in the band, then leave, Explain it to the other members and just disband the band.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.