I remember reading something about Eddie VanHalen boiling his strings.

I believe it was so they would stay in tune better.
I actually went through desperate measures a couple days ago and boiled a 10 year old high e string. Now granted that it was 10 years old, it sounds as good as I think I'm going to get it, but it does sound better now than it did before. BUT, the completely my opinion, I'm no expert on string boiling.
wait....i thought that getting strings wet rusts them? is this serious?
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
I don't know but boiling a cd makes it run better. (That's true).
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by danzig-_-
wait....i thought that getting strings wet rusts them? is this serious?

THey might not rust if you dried them off really good
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
If they are coated it will take off the coating. If they are anything but stainless steel they will rust. Stringzzz was right when he said VH did it. BUT, he only did it once because it didn't work. It made them go out of tune faster.
This is a trick some bassists use. It cleans the strings. It is not recommended for guitar strings, probably because they are smaller.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
This is a trick some bassists use. It cleans the strings. It is not recommended for guitar strings, probably because they are smaller.

True, bassists can do this, a guitar tech told me about that.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Very few people who don't wanna pay for new strings boil their old ones to revive them (it melts and boils off all the dirt and skin that gets in there). But I think having to do that is ridiculous.. personally, I don't think its worth it.. just get the new strings.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
I think the reason some bass players boil their strings is because they can cost $30 + per set.

the EVH thing goes back to when he was modifying his own guitars , before locking tremolos.

just physics , heat will expand a string , breaking it in so it does'nt go out of tune. (??? )

I think he dried them in the sun , or with a hair dryer.
Quote by Carnivean
Very few people who don't wanna pay for new strings boil their old ones to revive them (it melts and boils off all the dirt and skin that gets in there). But I think having to do that is ridiculous.. personally, I don't think its worth it.. just get the new strings.

You also lose a pot or whatever you boil them in...
Yeah, people (mainly bass players) boil the strings so that they don't have to buy new ones.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Stretches them out and gives them longer life... it's one of those mystifying "beliefs" that people hold onto or don't. I don't "believe" in doing it, while many of my friends do "believe" in it. I never heard any difference or length of life in guitar strings---my bassist does, though. He boils his bass strings and says it made them last so much longer.
Looking for my India/Django.
look, if you want to clean strings, there is a whole line of high-quality string cleaners on the market.