Page 1 of 2
As of now, I have a modified fender strat and I also have an epiphone dot. The strat is my main guitar because it suits all of my needs for the type of guitar I play. But the epiphone lacks in many areas (it was a spur of the moment buy). So i'm going to trade the epiphone in, save more money, and probly buy an american telecaster. But I was wondering...can you "shred" on a telecaster?? Not shred as in Kerry King or shred as in Yngwie, but shred as in Eric Johnson, Hendrix, and Santana (in the early days). My strat can play absolutely anything you throw at it but i've never really seen anyone except John 5 play a telecaster with speed. Can you please help me out?
shred? or rip it up, because ripping it up is different than shredding.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Jimmy Page used to play a tele...Communication Breakdown solo= pretty sweet ripping up.
Whatever happened to sweet Jane?
Most of Joe Perry's good stuff was done on a Tele.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
If you want to be realistic, you could shred on a ****ing Rickenbacker. It depends on what kind of shred you want. Believe it or not, shred goes beyond neoclassical and metal. There are plenty of jazz and blues shredders out there who play with a clean, poppy, or hinted distortion tone.
Quote by Funky P
shred? or rip it up, because ripping it up is different than shredding.

thats why I said "shred" because ripping it up sounds like i'm 11 and shredding!!!!! isn't what the three I mentioned do.
a real shredder could shred on a freakin banjo...
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Quote by rnrsoldier1461

I feel the need to throw in Zakk Wylde's name.
Quote by God Am
If you want to be realistic, you could shred on a ****ing Rickenbacker. It depends on what kind of shred you want. Believe it or not, shred goes beyond neoclassical and metal. There are plenty of jazz and blues shredders out there who play with a clean, poppy, or hinted distortion tone.

would you say one of them are Django Reinhardt?
Quote by Clay Treznum
would you say one of them are Django Reinhardt?

Any man who could play that fast with only three fingers is a god in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrsoldier1461

I feel the need to throw in Zakk Wylde's name.

thats the first name that came to my mind, too
Quote by rnrsoldier1461

well said, but not really. banjos are very different than guitars, with less strings and to be played properly they have to be plucked and there are totally different techniques.
i guess a guitar shredder could play one wrong though? maybe? very quickly...?
Quote by michaelcyborg
well said, but not really. banjos are very different than guitars, with less strings and to be played properly they have to be plucked and there are totally different techniques.
i guess a guitar shredder could play one wrong though? maybe? very quickly...?

That's why they have the new six string banjo tuned to EBGDAE (Low to High). You know, for us ignorant bastards who can't not be lurning us some new technicks.
well im sure bajo "shredding" is much different than guitar "shredding" and just because you know how to shred on a guitar doesnt mean you can shred on a banjo.
Im also talking traditional banjo dude, not new modern technology and new six string banjos.
im just saying, the instruments are different, and skills between them often arent interchangable.
i dont mean to cause such a debate.
i wasnt being literal with the banjo thing guys haha i was just saying it doesnt matter what guitar you use
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
i wasnt being literal with the banjo thing guys haha i was just saying it doesnt matter what guitar you use

Was I the only one who realized this??
it looks like it...
Lunatics on pogo sticks
That's some crazy shredding on the Tele. I've NEVER seen anyone play a Tele like that. And that bassist looks like he has a weird style, but god damn he's good.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
oh my god who is that scary lookin mutant who plays bass cleaner than i can guitar?
even though the bassist dude creeps me out, richie kotzen seems awesome.
and i thought paul gilbert was the guitarist for mr big? i dont know.
Quote by YYZ
No guitar can do anything for you.

- Brilliant!
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by rnrsoldier1461

I know you're being sarcastic, but banjo players generally are freaking speed demons. listen to some bluegrass.
but yeah, anyways i think that you could shred on a tele.
i've seen some crazy work on those things.
There is a local band where i live and the guitarist has a squire tele and he can shred.
Not all guitars are the same for shredding. I, personally, prefer the Ibanez Wizard necks. Obviously one can still shred on a Les Paul, it's just more comfortable with the thinner unfinished and flat necks and jumbo frets. A telecaster, while not as easy to shred on as a superstrat, is still very comfortable (more-so than Gibsons, many Jacksons, etc.)

Just my humbe opinion.
Quote by Thegeetarnoob
Not all guitars are the same for shredding. I, personally, prefer the Ibanez Wizard necks. Obviously one can still shred on a Les Paul, it's just more comfortable with the thinner unfinished and flat necks and jumbo frets. A telecaster, while not as easy to shred on as a superstrat, is still very comfortable (more-so than Gibsons, many Jacksons, etc.)

Just my humbe opinion.

Not really. I have big hands and my hands get tired on small necks, so I prefer a thick neck.
As a few people have said, it ain't the guitar that shreds, it's you. If you have an interest in shredding, Ibanez and Jackson seem to cater for most, but lots of bands use lots of guitars.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
Quote by MastaBassist10
I know you're being sarcastic, but banjo players generally are freaking speed demons. listen to some bluegrass.

A majority of them can also play rhythm and lead parts at the same time too.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
anyone ever heard of country music?
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by MastaBassist10
Not really. I have big hands and my hands get tired on small necks, so I prefer a thick neck.

I said that I, personally, prefer the thin necks. When I generalized I was talking about players with average hands. Petrucci, Vai, Satch, Becker, etc. use those kinds of guitars. Obviously you'll find guitarists with bigger hands, like Buckethead for example, that'll use Les Pauls.

To each his own, dude.

The Edge of U2 has used a Telecaster on a regular basis, such as on the album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Tom Morello former guitarist for Rage Against The Machine and current guitarist for Audioslave. The Telecaster was used on the first Rage Against the Machine album to create a high 'D' note by picking the G string above the nut

Matt Bellamy of Muse has used a Telecaster for the recording of certain Muse B-sides, and his custom Manson guitars (Matt-o-casters) are similar in shape, however they are not Fender guitars and share very few traits with a conventional Telecaster.

Mike Campbell - among his arsenal of hundreds of guitars, he plays several Broadcasters, Esquires, and Telecasters in both his stint as lead guitarist for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and as an in-demand sessions player.

Jimmy Page (on Led Zeppelin's studio recordings and with The Yardbirds)

John Frusciante of The Red Hot Chili Peppers - used on songs such as "Can't Stop", "Easily" and "Around The World"
Desperate Times, Desperate Measures.
You can shred on any instrument as long as you practise it, just some guitars are better suited to it for example

RG necks compared to Les Paul necks
they can definitely shred, the best kind for it is called a fender hmt, which i have. the hmt stands for "heavy metal telecaster" they were made in the nineties. it's basically a semi-hollow telecaster with a locking kahler bridge. You could probably find one on ebay or i could try to post a picture

i got a black one for 350 bucks
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Last edited by shredmeiser101 at Jul 18, 2006,
I guess i'll rephrase my original question, considering all the replys I got were saying that it doesn't matter the guitar you have. So my question now is...Do telecasters play as easily as stratocasters? Are the necks different at all? and How comfortable are they to play considering they don't have the stratocasters body contours?
Page 1 of 2