Poll: Do you think shredding is real music?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think shredding is real music?
Yes
60 77%
No
18 23%
Voters: 78.
Page 1 of 2
what do you guys think about shredding? for me i dont even think its really music, its basically you just memorized scales played fast.
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
im not into it, but i know i can't do it right now. Its something that must be leraned so i mean cool, do what you like.
To me shredding is a very technecol Art, to me its music with no feeling, Its cool and all, but I'll take good (Yet fast and heavy) Bluesie kinda stuff, I Like A7X its some shredding, I like it, but I'll take Coheed and cambrias or AC/DCs Solos anyday,

Although I'm still Going to try to learn how to shred Anyway
it sounds like crap and only metal heads are into it....thats my opinion, dont comment on it.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Eric Johnson, for starters. You can't tell me that the intro to Cliffs of Dover isn't shred on sensible grounds. Hell. Arch Enemy makes VERY emotional threads. (Note to self : Anger is an emotion).

it sounds like crap and only metal heads are into it....thats my opinion, dont comment on it.

One part of my mind says that I should go ahead and TELL you you're a douchebag. The other part hopes that my relatively indirect style gives you a hint.
Quote by Noomz
YOu obviously can't shred can you?

ive never actually tried because im into metal type sh!t. it has about as much substance as the rest of metal which is all like 3 power chord songs and then just scales. ill take a regular ac/dc solo over that stuff anyday also...
Lunatics on pogo sticks
shredding is more of a technique rather than a genre...its something you can add to any basic guitar playing or music
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Quote by danzig-_-

Your a true idiot!

Shred isnt musical? Take my guitar teacher for example..... http://youtube.com/watch?v=L_9ud9sI-TA&search=derryl%20gabel
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by danzig-_-

I'm a metal head and i cant stand it personally. no feeling whats so ever. I completely agree that is sounds like crap.
I like to listen to shred, the pure talent is inspiring. Though having said that, I wouldnt shred, People cant connect with most shred. Listening to Steve Vai isn't the same as listening to Seether, Its 2 completly different kinds of music. Most of the people on UG say shred all the way, Only because theyre techique Nazi's that pawn off theyre preaching vicariously. IMHO Play what feels right, If shred feels right, play it, if not, play somthing else.

And BTW I can't shred nor even want to.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
I love shred, but I like stuff like Zeppelin much more. Right now when I play shred is all I do, because it's a style I'm learning. It's easier than most people think, but to shred good it is damn hard and takes hours upon hours of practice.
Rock N Roll Is Dead!!!!!
Quote by Noomz
YOu obviously can't shred can you?

not yet, And I didn't mean Shredding was bad, I meant Some (Key word being SOME) Shredding Like A7X And trevium, and steve vai Are very Technical, and its just not my taste, thats all,

I would like to learn A little bit just to say I have the abilaty to do so, But I like led zep, and White stripes and stuff alot better ,
Last edited by Spade1 at Jul 17, 2006,
Quote by Zofar
I'm a metal head and i cant stand it personally. no feeling whats so ever. I completely agree that is sounds like crap.

THANK YOU, i just think it doesnt have any substance to it, its just scales
Lunatics on pogo sticks
i told no one to comment on my opinon....shredding is just alot of notes being played really fast, which doesnt sound good at all
it takes talent to do but still, it just sounds like notes being played really fast
that isnt catchy or something people would want to listen to
maybe in a solo, thats it.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
THANK YOU, i just think it doesnt have any substance to it, its just scales

Which would undoubtedly provide reason enough to say that Mozart's operas were all based on scales. That close-minded bastard!

i told no one to comment on my opinon....shredding is just alot of notes being played really fast, which doesnt sound good at all
it takes talent to do but still, it just sounds like notes being played really fast
that isnt catchy or something people would want to listen to
maybe in a solo, thats it.

What did you expect from posting on a forum for the world to read. ****ing twat.
grrr im leaving....i dont like shredding and you do. face it.
oh does that anger you? MAHH SHREDDING IS GOOD! GRR!
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
ZOMG HE PLAYS SO FAST AND COMPLEX THERE MUST BE NO FEELING WHAT SO EVER! HE NEEDS TO PLAY SLOWER AND VIBRATO AND BEND EVERY OTHER NOTE!

You guys are people who see some lame ass wankage shred on youtube, and label everything by that. All the people above me who said it's just to show off/is only cool to watch/just random notes being played. Please send me a link to a video, or name a artist and the song you heard by them that obviously was so crappy to you that you think all of, "shred" is like this. Also too all the peopel that said it's just scales, WELL NO DUH WHAT DO YOU THINK MUSIC? IT'S ALL MADE UP OF SCALES.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Last edited by Godly Moose at Jul 17, 2006,
thats different than guitar buddy
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Way to go and make a huge arguement.

Although IMO shred isnt music, its a technique or style or w/e you want to call it but it takes a lot of skill to master. Shredding for a solo is good but not for a whole song. For everyone out there that just thinks it is scales played really fast, it takes more skill to play it at 200BPM then 100BPM and add vibrato and bends to it and such. Everybody who hates shredding probrably:
[a]Cant shred.
Is an RHCP lover.
[c]Is a complete faggot that likes attention.

For people who said it is just scales. What do you think ACDC, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses etc. use? They use scales. Shredding is just a way of playing those scales faster. So for those who hate it go **** a cow and for those who like it but have to bitch at people for not liking it, you also go **** a cow.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Last edited by altarofdemise at Jul 17, 2006,
Quote by danzig-_-

Theres a typical UG response
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by danzig-_-

This kind of ignorance is going to be the death of me. Seriously. I can feel my blood pressure rising above 200 as we sp-

If this is huge for you, you wouldn't last a minute in my house. "WHERE IS THE ****ING ORANGE JUICE!?"
Quote by God Am
This kind of ignorance is going to be the death of me. Seriously. I can feel my blood pressure rising above 200 as we sp-

If this is huge for you, you wouldn't last a minute in my house. "WHERE IS THE ****ING ORANGE JUICE!?"

Lmao, thats how it is in my house. I just know it'll turn into a huge debate and such like the Metallica Vs. Megadeth thread.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
ive never actually tried because im into metal type sh!t. it has about as much substance as the rest of metal which is all like 3 power chord songs and then just scales. ill take a regular ac/dc solo over that stuff anyday also...

You views on metal are pretty narrow. Black metal is like that but powr metal is much differet. Look Into DragonForce, Children of Bodom or Trivium. IT's barely any power chords and all melody. Most songs have crazy solos but are well done with "shreding" placed perfectly into it to make it sound well. As opposed to just going nuts for no reason. (Yngwie Malmsteen).
...:::The Master Chief :::...
It's definitely real music, but I'm not a big fan of it. I would like to be able to shred eventually because when put in the right place and the right amounts it sounds pretty cool. On the other hand, too much shredding I find extremely boring.
Quote by altarofdemise

Although IMO shred isnt music, its a technique or style or w/e you want to call it but it takes a lot of skill to master. Shredding for a solo is good but not for a whole song. For everyone out there that just thinks it is scales played really fast, it takes more skill to play it at 200BPM then 100BPM and add vibrato and bends to it and such. Everybody who hates shredding probrably:
[a]Cant shred.
Is an RHCP lover.
[c]Is a complete faggot that likes attention.

For people who said it is just scales. What do you think ACDC, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses etc. use? They use scales. Shredding is just a way of playing those scales faster. So for those who hate it go **** a cow and for those who like it but have to bitch at people for not liking it, you also go **** a cow.

WHOA HOLD THE ****ING PHONE!
Please tell me you did not just rag on John Frusciante (RHCP's Guitarist)! Not to mention how incredibly hypocritical your entire statement is.
A prime example of such hypocracy:

Everybody who hates shredding probrably: [c]Is a complete faggot that likes attention.

Wow...thats not bitching about not liking it. Thats a nice happyfun statement, like teddy bears and sunshine. So instead of telling yourself to go have sex with a cow, why not formulate an actual arguement and make some ****ing sense.
And also, you must know **** about theory and have of course have a VAST pool of knowledge on the subject on Frusciante's playing if your going technically rip on it.

PLEASE STOP POSTING AT UG AND GO BE A DAIRY FARMER, itd suit you a helluva lot better, not to mention your apparent lack of coherence, which is most definitely why you resort to cows for pleasure.
i do say it gets boring after a while.
but as long as it slows down with some some vibrato, bends, and tremolo picking, etc.
its all good.
but if its just 109094-085050 notes per second(exaggerated greatly) chromatic scales, its boring.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
If you don't like shred don't listen to it, as simple as that. Those of us that do like it will listen to all we want with zero hinderance from your dumbass ZOMG SHREDDING SUCKS BECAUSE ITS JUST TECHNICAL AND NO FEELING opinion. We like shred, get over it...
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
I can shred but i dont particularly like to. I think its kind of boring because a lot of it is in fact a bunch of scales played really fast, which isnt really that hard to do. Dont get me wrong i respect musicians like Vai and Malmsteen who are actually really good at it but theres a lot of shred out there thats just horribly boring crap. Id take good solid songwriting over shred any day.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i just got into a fight with a kid...he goes

me: im getting alot faster...metronome at 215bps playing 8th notes (is this good by the way?) playing chromatic execises. hows it going for you? trying to shred? haha

him: yea dude..RHCP all the way right!

me: no response for a while.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Ampeg 50 watt
its over done. it gets really annoying. theres nothing wrong with playing fast but if thats all you do then it gets old, boring, and annoying and people start to say its crap. i think everyone should learn how to shred in a sense so they can just be a better player but not make it the only thing they do.

i dont know how anyone can say that something is or is not music though...unless its just random note that have no meaning or techinque behind them. that would just be noise. so as long as its organized i guess its music.
one of the smartest things ive heard all day Blind In 1 Ear!
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Ampeg 50 watt
Shredding is an art, not memorized scales...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

well if people call rap music then shreding is definatley music. shredding is cool and cool if you cna learn to play it, but i would go around wiht an ipod listening to it. if you can shred alittle and know a couple scales and stuff thats good, but its also good to know normal music and stuff like taht
sorry, i meant that im NOT into metal
Lunatics on pogo sticks
^ Lol, your ARE a noob.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case