I feel like Im not learning anymore on my own self teachng myself guitar, I know that lessons would probobly solve this but my parents are to cheap to get me some and my dad says that I dont need them because he taught himself and he thinks that all of these internet and guitar world lessons solve everything else, yea there nice to have but they dont tell you if you are doing it properly, what do you think I should do?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Last edited by gibson_10 at Jul 17, 2006,
-Pulls out translation machine.-

-Targets topic. Translator subsequently explodes.-

FVCK. I didn't understand a word of it.
^sorry I was in a rush I fixed it
Get a job... use some of the money to get some lessons. That or explain to your father what you just tried to explain to us. Also- couldn't your dad help you out with some stuff or is he not that .. good?
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
She grew on him like she was a colony of
E. Coli, and he was
room-temperature Canadian beef.

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
It was an American tradition, like
fathers chasing kids around with
power tools.
In that case, don't take lessons OR try to teach yourself. Jam with friends.

Simple as that. Trade guitar riffs just between you two, concepts, idea, get into a circle - I swear to God it will do more good than anything else.
Quote by God Am
In that case, don't take lessons OR try to teach yourself. Jam with friends.

Simple as that. Trade guitar riffs just between you two, concepts, idea, get into a circle - I swear to God it will do more good than anything else.

This is also good advice. Having friends that play always helps a LOT.
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
E. Coli, and he was

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
power tools.
find something new your interested in learning, then slowly.....learn it. you cant possibly know everything there is to know about guitar.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
listen to songs that u like or sound difficult and try that... i never thought i could be able to play machine gun by hendrix but i can play
Ive been playing for over 2 yrs. I can play but latlys its just felt like ive stopped learning and ive stopped progressing as a guitarist
yur dads right u dont need lessons just keep practicing and downlaod power tab
My philosphy: Teaching yourself guitar will teach you what YOU want right away, without losing interest on things that may never help you. I've found countless lessons on proper technique, metronome's are online, and an unfathomable amount of articles that will help any guitarist regardless of skill level.

However, to every ebb there is a flow: maybe you won't mature as fast, or you may miss out on valuable knowledge from a teacher. There's been MANY musicians who were self-taught (I'm not naming all of 'em either), likewise, MANY great musicians took lessons. You gotta figure out what's best for you. I'm self-taught and love it, maybe others love lessons. This is an endless quest for a straight answer, much like, "is it bad to have your thumb curled over onto the fretboard?" Many say yes, many say no. Jimmy Page played with it over-the-top at times, along with Hendrix almost all the time. David Gilmour is another guitarist who did this. Depends on what YOU want out of your guitar playing.

Hope I helped.
Crit 4 Crit:
Melodic Death--Broken Mortal
Melodic Death--Lost in the Wind
Thrash--Inner Demons

Quote by societies_worm
the sad thing is not only is this guy a dumbass, but he is going to get more replies than i ever have, but thats is funny too
Quote by Peyote__Project
My philosphy: Teaching yourself guitar will teach you what YOU want right away, without losing interest on things that may never help you. I've found countless lessons on proper technique, metronome's are online, and an unfathomable amount of articles that will help any guitarist regardless of skill level.

However, to every ebb there is a flow: maybe you won't mature as fast, or you may miss out on valuable knowledge from a teacher. There's been MANY musicians who were self-taught (I'm not naming all of 'em either), likewise, MANY great musicians took lessons. You gotta figure out what's best for you. I'm self-taught and love it, maybe others love lessons. This is an endless quest for a straight answer, much like, "is it bad to have your thumb curled over onto the fretboard?" Many say yes, many say no. Jimmy Page played with it over-the-top at times, along with Hendrix almost all the time. David Gilmour is another guitarist who did this. Depends on what YOU want out of your guitar playing.

Hope I helped.

i agree with everything you said, personally i hate lessons, i hate it when people tell me how to play. its just part of who i am. i know they mean well, but i guess its part of my ego. i love teaching myself, it gives me a chance to develope my own taste in music and develope my own technique and style. i'v been playing for about a year and a half, and lately i'v been looking at new scales. that might be one way to learn something new. its always good to learn something other than pentatonic. learn how to sweep, learn how to tap you probably can learn how to play with your wang if you set your mind to it. its all in your head.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by gibson_10
Ive been playing for over 2 yrs. I can play but latlys its just felt like ive stopped learning and ive stopped progressing as a guitarist

It seems like a lot of people experience this between their 2nd and 3rd years as guitarists. You just have to decide if you want to get to the next level or not. And if so, how you're going to get there. Best way is what works for you.
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
E. Coli, and he was

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
power tools.
I had this same problem, what i did was to start learning a new genre of music, i had been playing a combination of punk and metal for about two and half a years but then i realised i was pretty good at that but i still needed to pregress, so i decided to learn how to play bluegrass, i never particularly liked bluegrass but learning how to play it sure as hell helped my guitar playing in the long run. So my suggestion is to try to learn a style of music that is unfamiliar to you and carries a different approach to your instrument. It helps more than you can possibly imagine.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I had this same problem, what i did was to start learning a new genre of music, i had been playing a combination of punk and metal for about two and half a years but then i realised i was pretty good at that but i still needed to pregress, so i decided to learn how to play bluegrass, i never particularly liked bluegrass but learning how to play it sure as hell helped my guitar playing in the long run. So my suggestion is to try to learn a style of music that is unfamiliar to you and carries a different approach to your instrument. It helps more than you can possibly imagine.

i second that because i used to play metal and i sort of came to a dead end and i started playing the blues and it helped me with guitar so much.
Quote by gibson_10

try a new genre of music i.e. country lol