I want to buy a half stack, I don't want to spend the amount of money that like an orange amp or a higher priced marshall would cost but I want something that has good clean and distortion. I also want a head that is reliable and will last a while. I was looking at the Crate GT3500H Head, but I don't know how good it is. If somebody has that head or has played it is it nice? If not is there another head you could recommend?
we all want a halfstack
but the question is
do you want a cheap one for RIGHT NOW?
or a good one FOR YEARS?

im assuming you chose the second one
save up bud.

im doing the same.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
I highly recommend a Crate Vintage Club 50w Class A/B tube head and the 4x10 cab it comes with. They don't make them anymore, but they are GREAT amps, especially for the price. I play mine just as much as my Mesa Stiletto Deuce.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Quote by waylay00
I highly recommend a Crate Vintage Club 50w Class A/B tube head and the 4x10 cab it comes with. They don't make them anymore, but they are GREAT amps, especially for the price. I play mine just as much as my Mesa Stiletto Deuce.

Pretty amps too
+1 to what he said
Is there any particular reason as to of why you need a half-stack?

Do you need something louder for band practice or gigs?

Do you have a car big enough to haul a 4x12 cab (plus amp head) around in?

Are you looking for a larger and/or deeper sounding tone as compared to the sound you are getting now?

If you say no to those questions, maybe a halfstack really isn't what you are really looking for. A Volkswagon can hold a very nice small tube combo which sounds great and can be mic'd up at any reputable venue....

But if a halfstack is what you're after, I wouldn't recommend the Crate....
Quote by SayAnything
Is there any particular reason as to of why you need a half-stack?

Do you need something louder for band practice or gigs?

Do you have a car big enough to haul a 4x12 cab (plus amp head) around in?

Are you looking for a larger and/or deeper sounding tone as compared to the sound you are getting now?

If you say no to those questions, maybe a halfstack really isn't what you are really looking for. A Volkswagon can hold a very nice small tube combo which sounds great and can be mic'd up at any reputable venue....

But if a halfstack is what you're after, I wouldn't recommend the Crate....

I agree with you there man. Jsut because it's a half-stack, doesn't mean it will sound better than a combo. only advantage that a half-stack has over a combo is more speakers, which will give a fuller sound. however there are many disadvantages such as : too loud, not practical, expensive and heavey. you can still get the "surround sound" with a full range speaker system.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
Threadstarter, you're an idiot, you might want one, but you don't need one, get a valve combo instead of looking into POS SS half stacks.

What're your playing styles/sounds you're looking for?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
a few months ago i was thinking to buying a halfstack, but i've seen other guys with HS and is a big trouble to handle it, the cabs are very heavy, if i were you i would get a good 2x12 amp and if still want a louder thing you may buy a 2x12 cab and connect the amp and the cab to have your 4x12 HS
ibanez rg370dx (Crunchlab/Area 58/Liquifire)
ibanez rgr320ex (EMG 81/85)
ibanez grx20 (Super 3/PAF PRO)
ibanez gsr205 bass
randall rh150 head
avatar 2x12 contemporary cab (GK-100's)
boss GT8
ibanez weeping demon wah
line 6 ux1
that crate 3500 is crap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok threadstarter so you want a half stack doesnt everyone. but you have to ask yourself what am i gonna be doing with this half stack that will make it worth while to have. if your in a band then yes by all means get it. if you plan on auditioning for a band you dont want to bring a half stack to your audition. half stacks and full stacks come with time and experience. your not gonna go out and buy one if your just a beginner. when i got mine i paid over 3000 for it. but i was in a band and needed to match a loud drummer. the money we made giging paid for the half stack. then we broke up the band and the half stack just sat there without being used for 2 years. you may ask why. because its not a practical practice amp.

but if thats what you have your mind set on then get it. but unless your in a band its pointless to have