sustain.
bolt on's are usually on cheaper guitars.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
set knecks and thru necks both have better sustain. The only real advantage to bolt on knecks is that they are easier to replace. (set necks are difficult (but not impossible) to replace, and and it is impossible to replace the neck on a neck-thru guitar.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
It is indeed, but the playability is increased so much you'll fall in trance the moment you play it,
and next thing you know your mom wakes you up saying you've been playig for the entire day.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
There's not really any huge advantages to having a bolt-on other than you can swap out necks and I'd also say it's a matter of personal preference. Set-necks are really the way to go nowadays. Better sustain, better feel, and better fret access.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Theres not any noticable effect on sustain.
Bolt on necks can be replaced if need be. Some set necks may have better higher fret access for some players. It comes down to preference.
generally, set-necks and neck-thrus have better sustain and better upper fret access, but they are hard to replace and cost more. bolt-on's have less sustain, but they are easy to replace and cost less.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
if its a bolt on there will genneraly be a metal plate where the neck joins the body. Set necks have a wooden heel where the neck joins the body. This is genneraly and there are a few exceptions but thats usually the best way to tell if you dont know what else to look for.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm