Hi, I've been playing for like 8 months.. Today I was checking out some beginner lessons. I found out that there are 2 positions for the hand.

This one:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/lesson1/classical.gif

and this one:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/lesson1/baseball.gif

I started to think I used the second one (the one where the space that divides index and thumb touches the fretboard) for almost everything. The lesson says, that, to start I should use the first position, but I tried playing like that and it felt very weird and I didn't like it at all. I just use the first position to do barre chords and stuff like that, but almost for nothing. I heard the second position is very limiting but I feel very good with it and the difference between when I play the first and the second is only one fret.

With 8 months of playing, do you think I would have to go back to the first position or do you think I should stick with the one I'm feeling comfortable with ?
The first way of holding is much better for your technique, and if you can discipline yourself to use it, I would recommend doing so.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Hey, if you're comfortable with that position, stick to it. You can still increase your skills by learning different techniques, so how you position your hand is really up to you.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
whatevers comfortable
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
The thing about noobs--
they all try to do everything by the book.

Playing music is about feeling.
It's a personal and different experience for everyone.
don't sweat the small stuff like this.
it doesn't really matter.
the only time i use the first position is when im barring chords. i dont usually put my thumb that way even when trying to do a fast solo. if you watch SRV, he does the same thing. even when he goes really fast he dosent put his thumb on the back. the only advantage i can really think of for the first position is for shredding really. shredders use their pinky finger and do three or more notes per string stuff and i find its easier to do things like that with the first position.

on another note, i can actually play barre chords like hendrix(using the thumb to play the 6th string note) but when i started out, i had a chord book and it show how to do them so i did as it showed. so im just used to that way. plus if you are going to hammer on barre chords, its easier with the thumb behind the neck.

i think it comes down to how technical you are i guess. i mean you will prolly never see a blues or rock player play solos with their thumb behind the neck but you will most likely see a metal or classical player do it that way.