Low is subjective...my low is having the top of tele body at the navel..and the neck plate just at the crotch.

Ok i have been seeing some tele players like Johnny green wood and the guy from broken social scene play low .

How do they ever play low ( strumming hand )?? At my length of low , it feels weird to strum the strings , its like the side of the pick is scraping the strings. And i realised that all the low tele players strum and position their hand differently.

Can someone give me some pointers?
*tut tut tut* You don't play it slung low if you CAN'T ACTUALLY PLAY IT THERE! Seriously there is no point of havin' it slung that low if you can't play it there. You should adjust it to where you comfortable and where u can play it. Or you'll just sound sloppy and look stupid at the same time.
dare i say practice. dont bend over, damages your back pretty bad. should change the angle of your pic to compensate how low your tele is
Quote by whistler369
*tut tut tut* You don't play it slung low if you CAN'T ACTUALLY PLAY IT THERE! Seriously there is no point of havin' it slung that low if you can't play it there. You should adjust it to where you comfortable and where u can play it. Or you'll just sound sloppy and look stupid at the same time.

i am fine playing chords..no problems..with the fingering..

but i wanna know if i am the only one experiencing this problem.
Jonny Greenwood attacks the hell out of his guitars and uses really dramatic arm movements. He also uses that wrist brace thing. It's also easy if you have disproportionately long arms. I *can* play low, it's just uncomfortable so I don't. I'm not Tom Morello high, but just a little below.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Jonny Greenwood attacks the hell out of his guitars and uses really dramatic arm movements. He also uses that wrist brace thing. It's also easy if you have disproportionately long arms. I *can* play low, it's just uncomfortable so I don't. I'm not Tom Morello high, but just a little below.

No one has arms that are out of proportion, if you stretch both arms out horizontally, the total length will always measure up to being your height. Unless you're a hideous mutated freak.
... Well, I'm 6'1". A good friend of mine is 6'3". When we reach over our heads, I reach 2" higher than him. His height is mostly legs (he has like a 34" inseam) whereas my height is mostly torso (my inseam is 30"). Also, if you ever see the "tale of the tape" in fighting, you'll see 5'9-5'10" guys with 75" reaches.
Hi, I'm Peter
yes i also realise that people who wear arm braces / or something that constricts , play differently at an angle.

opps...just read some stuff about the brace..don't think it affects the playing..
----------------------------------------------------
Like Dave Kushner and Zakk wylde they pick and strum angularly.
Last edited by openend at Jul 18, 2006,
Quote by codybcool
Psh, old wives tales > scientific fact.

Dude it's not exactly scientific fact...

It is a general basic principle of Anatomy but thaere are many different ways that a person can become misproportionate. Incorrect nutrition, Certain activities as a child.

I mean my arm length is a bit longer than my height, maybe 2-3 inches difference, I have wierdly long arms... I mean the Vitruvian man is just a look at the general perfection of the average person, not every person is going to fall on the same proportions, that's why we have dwarves and little people. I'm trying to remember the terminology for a person that isn't proportionately correct, because I know that dwarves are simply people small in stature.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
Quote by openend
Hmm where are all the tele slingers when i needed them.

I sling two, so what exactly are you looking for?
i wanted to know if its actually comfortable to pick and strum on a low slung tele.

I find the angle awkward to strum on a low tele. Like the angle doesn't match.
for some people its comfortable for some people it isnt. If youre playing it because its comfortable then do it, if youre playing like that because you think it looks cool or whatever but doesnt feel right then raise your guitar up untill its comfortable.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I play my guitars around that height, but I wear an arm brace or a tubigrip when I play (in my pic in the 'gig pics' thread in bandleading, it's the white thing on my picking arm.)
Quote by openend
i wanted to know if its actually comfortable to pick and strum on a low slung tele.

I find the angle awkward to strum on a low tele. Like the angle doesn't match.

Like mentioned. It's different for each person. You should play where it's comfortable you, regardless of what you think looks cool.
I don't think wearing your guitar low is worth if you just want to look "cooler". If it's awkward and you can't play with your full technical ability then scrap that ****.
Quote by TTHX
I don't think wearing your guitar low is worth if you just want to look "cooler". If it's awkward and you can't play with your full technical ability then scrap that ****.

ditto
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
The only thing that annoys me is all the indie bands that have started up in the U.K who can pretty much knock themselves out with the telecasters as they have them so high up.