So I was in my local guitar shop yesterday, and what happened to catch my eye? Not an IC400, but an IC200! I prefered it greatly to the IC400. For a start, I hate set necks... I prefer bolt-ons. Secondly, I dislike black finishes. This one was sunburst. I was absolutely blown away by the tone I got from it through the shop's Vox valvetronix amp... so for 250 quid I think it's a keeper.

Now, for an amp. My band are starting to play much bigger shows, and a lot of outdoor festivals... so I think a half stack's in order. Peavey's valveking half stack's caught my eye. With it being a tube half stack, being able to try it out to its fullest extent in a shop is a bit... unrealistic, so I need some personal experience here... Peavey Valveking half stack- yay or nay?

If I had to label what I play, I'd have to say hard rock. That seems to cover the tone I want.
I have no expierience with the amp so i cant really say anything, but i own a brown sunburst ic200 myself. Fantabulous guitars, awsome tone, great necks and their built like ****ing tanks. I've owned mine for about a year now, playing it everyday, banging it off walls, doors, siblings etc and the only visible marks are some very small ones on the headstock. Definatly go with the Iceman
I've heard the valveking has a bit of a lag in the channel switching... that could cause a few problems...
If you seriously play alot of shows on a regular basis, invest in something solid and reliable.
The Peavey Valveking amps are cheap in every aspect.
I will tell you one thing, you can't go wrong with that amp.
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
How would the Peavey Windsor compare? only 50 pounds more... maybe with an Ibanez Tubsescreamer in front of it it'd do heavier tones?
I'd probably look into a tube combo rather than the halfstack. you'll get better quality for the money... how much does that halfstack go for?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
About 500. I have a tube combo, and we're starting to play venues where it's just too small.
First of all, I commend you for making a good choice in choosing an Ic200 (although you should have gotten the Ic400 IMGO)

Seriously, just get a decent tube combo, I don't think the peavey valveking is right for it.
Quote by Aidy Damage
About 500. I have a tube combo, and we're starting to play venues where it's just too small.

ah, ok. yeah, go with the Vk then.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Would you recommend any other valve half stacks that would be in a near enough price range?
Don't really think there are any, Peavey have nicely taken the low end tube amp section of the marker..... I think the only thing close is Ashdowns which aren't as common?

unless you go used, as I see some old Laney GH50L heads have gone for as little as $300 and I'm pretty sure theres a ton of Peaveys from the 80s and 90s out there
Last edited by seljer at Jul 18, 2006,
^ aye, and ashdown are a bit dearer. But yeah, ashdown and laney, maybe. But they'll be a bit more cash, I'd have thought.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a 60W Fallen Angel stack goes for 500 quid from Andertons... I've heard they have reliability issues though.
To be entirely honest I really, really like the tone I got from the Iceman through a Vox Valvetronix amp... forgot which amp setting though, but it was really, really nice. Would it be a downgrade from my RG50TC to get a Valvetronix half stack?
Quote by Aidy Damage
To be entirely honest I really, really like the tone I got from the Iceman through a Vox Valvetronix amp... forgot which amp setting though, but it was really, really nice. Would it be a downgrade from my RG50TC to get a Valvetronix half stack?

Not really but If you were to buy one get a high qulity cab. The 120 head is very nice but it'll sound awful if you opt for the cheaper cab. The neodog cabinet Vox offer is very nice, really good quality speakers.
Would it crap out at higher volumes, though? If I had the money, I'd just get a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier!
It wouldn't "crap out" so to speak but it would go the way of solid state break up like always.