So everyone, what is the better range of guitars? The ibanez S (470 kinda level) or and RG, cheaper one mebbe a 370/350/320? and why? cheers
the s hands down the trems on lower rg models really let down the whole guitar unless you change which is possible i do believe
the s is better if you're comparing it to the rg350/370, but the rg is better if you're talking about the rg1570, in my opinion. I haven't tried any s prestiges, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the S feels nicer to play because the bodys thinner... i would assume its better cos its more expensive but that isnt always true....
Well, For me.. S is much better than RG.. The body is nice... Its really comfortable...
Your money is worth-the-risk... because you won't ever regret it... youre gonna love it..
S>>>>>>>RG, hands down. The trem feels a lot better than an RG's trem, the body doesn't look as "awkward" as the RGs do, IMO. The RGs look like boxy Super Strats to me, and it's just not attractive. The S looks like the sexier half sister of the Strat.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
i have an RG770DX and it is one of the higher models...
it is a really nice guitar but the S series definately beats out the lower RG series.
Really thin and comfortable. My guitar teacher had one.
If you go to the higher RG vs the S series.... i think its just more of what you want it for,
but i recommend the S series. so nice.
Metadrix - What a gay name. Anyhoo yeah IMO S series does look better than the lower RG's. They play much better as well.
Co-Founder of the Midnight Sunday Mad Squad. PM Me to join.

Quote by goods2006
"OOOOOH AN ELECTRICAL OUTLET!!!!!!, LETS SEE HOW LONG WE CAN SHOCK OURSELVES FOR BEFORE WE DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
well dont the S series usually have 22 frets? i know mine does and its a prestige. also, do you want the middle pickup? most RGs have the middle pup, not all, however. my S doesn't have a middle pup and i dont usually use the middle pup on my strat. i love my Prestige S. also, i think the QM1/QM2 pups are good enough to not have to replace unless you want a certain tone. they give me a great Satch tone, IMO. i noticed that the S1520 come with either a ZR or one of the good Edge systems. i saw a few on ebay with ZRs and Edges. both are good.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
S to RG is like a katana to a claymore, size-wise. I owned RGs (321 and 570) but sold them off and kept my S series. It's up to your needs, though. Do you need 24 frets and a basswood body? Then go for a used 5xx or prestige RG. If you can live with 22 but want a slim mahogany body, then go for a cheaper S series. One thing for sure, modern RG3xx are a pain in the arse.

If you're thinking a used S, then beware of the older models with Lo-TRS bridges (470 and lower, pre-2003, iirc). S540, in my opinion, is guitargasm (own one). The new S470 is quite awesome (own one too) - the neck is the same as on RGs but two frets shorter, and they have H/S/H pickups. New S520? I'd go for 470 lest you want 520's looks.

New S prestige are (imho) not worth the double price of the 470/520 - the difference in feel is miniscule, and it's really all in the finish. People have been complaining of lemons in the non-prestige S range, so play it before you buy it. Older japanese S540 tend to show up on ebay often and they sell in the $500 range - more than a fair price for one in good condition.

S control cavity doesn't really fit batteries (my own sad experience), so active pickups are best powered with external power, should you want them.

Hope that helps!
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
^ excellent post, that's what I'd have typed if I weren't lazy. Seconded (apart from the part about batteries with active pickups, as I haven't tried to fit them, and also I haven't tried any prestige s guitars).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
low-end RGs kinda suck, i know cuz i have one. RG321s don't suck, but they also don't have a trem. so you'd be better off getting and S series.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ excellent post, that's what I'd have typed if I weren't lazy. Seconded (apart from the part about batteries with active pickups, as I haven't tried to fit them, and also I haven't tried any prestige s guitars).

I've played the new prestige S series, and with my eyes closed, I'd have said I'm holding my 470. You get same neck dimensions, same bridge, pickups with slightly more life in them, and over double the number on the price sticker. Both are (I'm almost certain) Korean. The figured tops look sweet, but I don't know if they're worth a few hundred bucks. And by that I mean: I know they're not worth it.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
thanks a lot everyone, particularly to pifty, great post. S470 it is then, when i have any money....
Quote by pifty

I've played the new prestige S series, and with my eyes closed, I'd have said I'm holding my 470. You get same neck dimensions, same bridge, pickups with slightly more life in them, and over double the number on the price sticker. Both are (I'm almost certain) Korean. The figured tops look sweet, but I don't know if they're worth a few hundred bucks. And by that I mean: I know they're not worth it.

aye, prestige s guitars are korean.

Man, Ibanez are gippos.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
S series, i went on an ibanez testing spree at my local guitar shop on saturday lol, cos i'm thinking on getting one, the s is really comfortable to play and the neck is GREAT didnt try the trem cos the shop took the bar off for some reason, but yeah, much better feel than the RG I'll try it with one of the amps next time i go in
S in that range the guitar is pretty comfortable. I tried a rg370 and shoot its the same like my bc rich bronze warlock ewwww

S Series it is!
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by Dave_Mc
aye, prestige s guitars are korean.

Man, Ibanez are gippos.

No kidding they are. Not that Korean prestiges are shoddy, no - they're stuck together well, nothing orgasmic, but they look nice, feel okay. But dammit, Korean S and SZ prestiges cost more than any Fujigen RGs (RGT and RGA excluded). If moving most of the prestige line to Korea was a price cutting measure then it was a pretty offbeat marketing decision. I'd think of buying one of those S prestige things if it was $700, but for $1200? It's a price of a USA deluxe strat.

Makes me think I was on to something when I spent half of that money to get an S540 and an RG570 both of which feel better than the Korean prestiges.
Quote by pifty
No kidding they are. Not that Korean prestiges are shoddy, no - they're stuck together well, nothing orgasmic, but they look nice, feel okay. But dammit, Korean S and SZ prestiges cost more than any Fujigen RGs (RGT and RGA excluded). If moving most of the prestige line to Korea was a price cutting measure then it was a pretty offbeat marketing decision. I'd think of buying one of those S prestige things if it was $700, but for $1200? It's a price of a USA deluxe strat.

Makes me think I was on to something when I spent half of that money to get an S540 and an RG570 both of which feel better than the Korean prestiges.

you tried out the s520 ex? if yes. how does it feel? hows it like with it being nearly inlayless bar the 12th fret inlay
Quote by azn_guitarist25
you tried out the s520 ex? if yes. how does it feel? hows it like with it being nearly inlayless bar the 12th fret inlay

I was wiring EMGs into a buddy's just a couple weeks ago. It feels comfy, no difference with my 470 there. Covered pups and black hardware actually make it look really classy up close. As for inlays, it has a bound neck and dots on the side, so it's not as bad as it seems.
Quote by pifty

exactly.

Ibanez are idiots. Kind of reminds me of when the edge pro came out. They did away with the locking studs to save 50 cents per trem or something ridiculous. But they forgot to check that Floyd rose still had the patent on the lo-profile locking trem- they assumed that since the patent on the original floyd had run out, they were ok.

The running joke over at jemsite is "wonder how many locking studs $xx, xxx (i forget the exact amount) would have bought?"

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
exactly.

Ibanez are idiots. Kind of reminds me of when the edge pro came out. They did away with the locking studs to save 50 cents per trem or something ridiculous. But they forgot to check that Floyd rose still had the patent on the lo-profile locking trem- they assumed that since the patent on the original floyd had run out, they were ok.

The running joke over at jemsite is "wonder how many locking studs $xx, xxx (i forget the exact amount) would have bought?"

Bleh, yeah. I haven't looked at getting any EP guitars yet because the trem looks and feels so hi-tech, but it's missing the goddamn locking studs. No sir, I'll take the original Edge and have it simple and <i>edgy</i> but at least perfectly usable with no aftermarket tweaks. But then, I'm sure that even with that Ibanez is still coming out on top of profits. For every prestige RG or (gasp!) JEM that people buy and complain about the trem design there are fifty kids that'll buy a black RG3xx and be completely happy about its appointments. Then they'll come here and say Eeee! Buy an RG370DX, it has hot black colour and awesome whammy bar and cool inlays! and then some more kids will buy them.

Ibanez ain't what it used to be, and while I'm a confessed groupie, I find it hard to recommend a modern middle-of-the-road Ibanez over its competitors. The SZ320 is still great, but it's not everybody's cup of tea, and if they somehow downgrade S470, there simply won't be any of their stuff short of prestige RGs that's worth the money.
Last edited by pifty at Jul 25, 2006,