Hi all, i was just wondering what the correct metronome speed Flight of the Bumblebee is.
Originally posted by mydadisjewish
people have different tastes. for example, i like good music, u like your dad's testicles.
Well I don't know if Mr Rimsky-Korsakov had a metronome when he wrote the peice.

so "fast", I think it something like 16th notes at 150bpm? or 180? however fast you can take it to keep it clean. Just set yourself a goal and get to it

edit: I see some tabs list 180, some list 160 (but it feels kind of "slow" ) so it seems like 180 would be what to aim for
Last edited by seljer at Jul 18, 2006,
thanks
Originally posted by mydadisjewish
people have different tastes. for example, i like good music, u like your dad's testicles.
It's written with the quarter at 144 in the original score.

And yes, Korsakov had a metronome.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
damn, I could almost do it at that speed

I've been listening to to many extreme metal versions of the thing
Does that include the second theme, or just the chromatic runs? And which version, the petrucci version has nothing on the original... which is surprisingly actually playable; barely...
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God

If you dont play it as fast as its meant to, well it wont really sound like a flight of bumblebees, just some warmup excersises basically. I personally dont like the piece.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
I figure anywhere around 168-172 bpm should cut it.

However, 144 w/ the right "articulation" making it sound fast sounds interesting.
I think "making it sound fast" has a lot to do with giving it a triplet feel though...
^ Why the **** would you give it a triplet feel? It's a strict 16th note quad the /entire/ way through.

Quote by seljer
I only know most of this guys arrangement of it http://www.luismoreno.com/Videos_ta...mble_bee_LM.ptb

don't know if theres any more to it
That's missing most of the second theme, maybe I'll tab the full thing out w/ ptb, it's kind of a "WTF" piece for guitar, but it's doable.

Free: I heard a bettencourt recording once... but that's about my only claim to being familiar with it. I certainly don't actually remember it.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God

what I meant by "triplet feel" is for the tempo of 144bpm...
Otherwise, at that tempo, it seems kinda slugish ya know...
Triplets - 3 notes per beat.
16th notes - 4 notes per beat.

Triplets are slower...

And if you mean 16note triplets, the accents will all be in the wrong place so it'll sound retarded.
Triplets are not strictly 3 notes per beat, you could have it in 4/4 time and have quarter note triplets which would be 3 notes per 2 beats.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Looks like I will use this song as a picking excercise. Looks great for right hand picking and coordination between both hands. The song itself, nothing special to me, just speed.
Current Equipment:

Ibanez SZ 520
Peavey Bandit Selling
Pro Co Turbo RAT Selling
Digitech RP300A Selling

PM For Details.
Quote by Freepower
Triplets - 3 notes per beat.
16th notes - 4 notes per beat.

Triplets are slower...

And if you mean 16note triplets, the accents will all be in the wrong place so it'll sound retarded.

Obviously I'm aware of that, but like I said, it's strictly cuz ofthe tempo. Counting 16th notes at 144bpm is too slow...

Unless...

It was played in 2/4 time w/ 32nd notes?!?!
Quote by notoriousnumber
Triplets are not strictly 3 notes per beat, you could have it in 4/4 time and have quarter note triplets which would be 3 notes per 2 beats.

Yeh, but that's EVEN SLOWER, and not exactly what anyone was talking about, eh? I'm not suggesting he play it in 5s am i?

Quote by Shreddin 4 Life
Obviously I'm aware of that, but like I said, it's strictly cuz ofthe tempo. Counting 16th notes at 144bpm is too slow...

Well, it was fast enough for the original composer. Take it to whatever speed you want, but i don't think you're as suited to judge the perfect speed for it as Rimsky!
I like the Maksim Version of the song. He's a great Pianist. I think It's best to play it at...oh...god...I had a tab for it somewhere.

*rumages*

AHA! My version has 168bpm on it. That sounds fast.