I have only taken up playing a few months new and downloaded a copy if audacity. I would like to record my guitar playing and need to by a mic. for the computer to record. Can anyone recommend a good brand or type to by to capture my playing the best.

Give you and idea of what I hope to eventually accomplish, I am getting married in a year, and want to write and compose a (solo acoustic) song for my soon to be wife to give her with her wedding gift. I would have to say the guitar playing is coming along really well to date, and I write her lots of poems,.. So putting a song together is coming along pretty easily.

Is this something I could do at home(recording wise), if so would it all sound good doing it using audacity and a little home setup.

Thanks (May sound really newbie) but this is all very new to me.

John
Well to be honest, I've had nothing but trouble with decent mics in picking up my acoustic when recording on a computer.

If you check this link... http://hhm.dmusic.com

Listen to Mad World. Now that was recorded completely on a cheap PC mic, like really the bottom end microphones. It is also fingerpicked so to pick up the sound was great.

More expensive mics however (I had a Shure sm57 for a while, basically industry standard instrument mics) cannot pick up the sound at a decent volume.

To fix this I bought an electro acoustic which I plugged directly into my line in socked (next to the mic socket) to produce the acoustic instrumental at that same link.

If your guitar is not electro acoustic, then you'll have to get a mic which can pick up the sound well enough. If it is, you're best plugging it directly in and just micing the vocals.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
For recording you cant go wrong with a MXL990 condensor.($59) Sound is very chrisp just make sure your in a closed room cuz it will pick up everything! Shure SM57 would be more practical if you ever plan on playing out, but then again youll have to get another mic for the vocals then.
Then youll need a way to get it into your computer. I use a BehringerUB1008, but a UB802 would probably suit you just fine ($39). or you could go the really cheap way and just buy the XLR adaptors till you get it down to 1/8 jack. But youll probably still spend $20 on them so might as well get the UB802.

Here are some links for ya.
First is a recording I made on my MXL990 just one mic placed between the sound hole and my voice. I made this recording at 1 a.m. and was trying not to wake my 2yr old up so yes I know Im holding back a little.
http://esnips.com/doc/5c056682-8b9a-4577-8a53-edd75dc5c755/Alabama_Cover-acoustic.mp3

Next are the links for the MLX990 and the UB802 from muscians friend. Good Luck!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-with-Shockmount?sku=273156
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB802-Mixer?sku=631238
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
^ ive heard that mxl 990 is good for acoustics and vocals, and i dont think you can get anything better for the price. it is a condensor mic though, so it will need phantom power. i dont know if the mixer is the best way to achieve the phantom power because then it still runs through your sound card. how much were you planning to spend on this? i or someone else can give you some good recomendations as for what you want if you give a bit of a price range.
Quote by jof1029
^ ive heard that mxl 990 is good for acoustics and vocals, and i dont think you can get anything better for the price. it is a condensor mic though, so it will need phantom power. i dont know if the mixer is the best way to achieve the phantom power because then it still runs through your sound card. how much were you planning to spend on this? i or someone else can give you some good recomendations as for what you want if you give a bit of a price range.

UB802 has built in Phantom Power. Works great through the soundc ard.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
^ yeah, i know its got phantom power but if you dont have a good soundcard then its going to deteriorate the quality of your sound running out of the mixer. which is why its good to get a nice audio interface that runs in via usb or firewire.
Quote by jof1029
^ yeah, i know its got phantom power but if you dont have a good soundcard then its going to deteriorate the quality of your sound running out of the mixer. which is why its good to get a nice audio interface that runs in via usb or firewire.

I agree with that. Just trying to give him a cheaper avenue. Hes only been playing for a year. And the qulity from a mixer to a normal sound card isnt really that bad for a beginner. Ive had good results. But yes Im now looking for a USB interface so I can record multiple tracks at once!
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals