Is the best time to use the diminished scale when you are on the V chord of like a i- V progression? I have always heard that it works well on the V chord, is this true?And if so, if the progressions was E- Am, would you use the E dim scale? or Another one?
~Long live the 6-string~
i use Diminished scale for passages or intros.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Quote by mesaandrew
Is the best time to use the diminished scale when you are on the V chord of like a i- V progression?

Try it and listen at the same time.

I have always heard that it works well on the V chord, is this true?

And if so, if the progressions was E- Am, would you use the E dim scale? or Another one?

Yes it will sound good if you use a diminished scale over a V chord. V chords tend to sound like they are leading into something, or building into a climax. This is why V chords are found, usually, near the end of phrases. Try listening to some classical music, these situations come up tons.

Diminished scales have the same effect. Even when playing one alone it will sound like your cliimbing to the top a phrase. In the chord progression you gave (E-Am, E being the V and Am being the I) it would be smart to use an E diminished scale.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Cort X-2 hahaha
Dean Tradition One
Ibanez Soundgear SR505 (five stringer)
Marshall MG 250DFX
Marshall MG 10CD
Digitech GNX4
Digitech DF-7 Distortion
A bunch of cables.
would the 8th note of the diminished scale be considered a major 7th or not because that has always confused me
Ah

Ha
Quote by (TC)
would the 8th note of the diminished scale be considered a major 7th or not because that has always confused me

Yep, I just tried it on my guitar. It's a major 7th alright.