i have an ibanez with a current hss setup. I've decided to change it to hsh or hhh setup, besides the new pickguard and the routing, how would i do this? It seems like i would need to get a different wire for the new humbuckers to go to the controls. The humbucker wire seems different than the single coil. Please give instructions as well.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Wiring shouldn't be a problem. It should be the same. I'm not familiar with what the Ibanez looks like under the pickguard, but if it's like a Strat, you won't need to do any routing. You might have to change the pickguard though.
Wiring's not my department, so can't help you there.

However, there's a VERY good chance you'll need to route, and you'll need a new pickguard.
the ibanez has, i think it's called "swimming pool routing", so pretty much everything will fit in, does anybody know where to get a cheap ibanez hhh pickguard?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
The swimming pool routing is a plus, I'm not sure about the pickguard availablility. I would check on eBay. As far as the wiring, a new set of pickups should come with wiring instructions. I just replaced the pickups in my Epi SG and the Seymour Duncans came with a good set of directions. If the new pickups have four conductors, which they probably will, you just solder two of the wires together and tape them. Two go to ground and one is your hot wire. Check the instructions for the color coding. When you put it all back together, adjust your pickup height according to the directions. Double check this, but, your neck pickup should be at 1/8" from the strings when the strings are pressed down at the highest fret. The Bridge pickup should be 1/16" at the high e and 3/32 at the low e stings again pressed down at the highest fret. Some people use 3/32 and 4/32 for these measurements. You can always fine tune the height after you play it to see how it sounds.
good info, but the single coil wires seem much skinnier than the humbucker ones, like they only have one wire. and the humbuckers i'm putting in are not new. do you know a website to find pickup wiring configurations from? They're aren't any kind of after-market type pickups.
p.s. what could i use to cut the pickguard with?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Last edited by shredmeiser101 at Jul 18, 2006,
could you possibly stick a strat pickgaurd on it? just an idea
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by shredmeiser101
p.s. what could i use to cut the pickguard with?

Dremel or some similar tool? If you go this route, you'll be grinding instead of cutting. Haven't done this myself but was planning to do so only because it's so hard to find the right PG for a Strat with a Floyd Rose. Good Luck!
so the single coil wires will definitely work with the humbuckers? and the guitar is actually an ibanez jumpstart package guitar, do you know where to find the pickup schematics for it?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
(i guess) you could also just use a small handsaw, and sand it a bit
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
again, does anybody know any websites for pickup schematics?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by JacobMPrater
hey if your gonna wire up HHH then you need 2 more 500k pots

please explain
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
I have my American Strat in essentially a H-H-H configuration, but the middle pickup is a stacked humbucker (single coil sized). DiMarzio's website has the best wiring layout that I found (I tried 2). You'll need a custom 5-way switch - one with 20 connectors rather than 8. With that, you can get coil splitting in positions 2 and 4, which give my H-H-H Strat traditional Fender single-coil tones. It's a really versatile instrument now. And then you can go with whatever pot resistance your manufacturer recommends. But you don't NEED a particular type of pot, they just sound different because of resistance. I use my American Standard stock pots with a H-H-H config. Sounds great to me, and I don't lose treble when I crank down the volume, which is a big plus.
Hi, I'm Peter
One word of advice on the pickguard, if you do decide to cut or modify, make sure to get it precise. If the mounting bolt holes for the pickups are off, your pickups will not be in the proper place in regards to the strings.
I would advise him just to get a new pickguard. It's real easy to make a "customized" pickguard look really crappy.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I would advise him just to get a new pickguard. It's real easy to make a "customized" pickguard look really crappy.

but they don't make triple humbucker ibanez pickguards, i've tried everywhere, and I don't want a stacked humbucker
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
I would order a routing template from Stew-Mac for a humbucker. Mount it to your exisiting pickguard using the existing mounting holes for the single. If you have a router with a bushing you can route the opening. If not, trace out the opening. Then cut out the opening out a little smaller than required and use a file to finish the job. Do this on the back side of the pickguard. It is preferable to get a new pickguard if you can, but if you can't, maybe this will help.
Quote by shredmeiser101
but they don't make triple humbucker ibanez pickguards, i've tried everywhere, and I don't want a stacked humbucker

Nothing at all wrong with a stacked, but to each his own
Hi, I'm Peter
i know there's nothing wrong with stacked humbuckers, but i like the look of three humbuckers, i've never seen an ibanez with the kind of set up i want.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT