Let's say you are playing a piece that requires you to tune down a half step.

If the sheet music dictates you to play a B, then would you play, for instance, the B string open(a B in standard tuning) or the B string first fret (a B in the tuning one half step down)?

Thanks
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Jul 18, 2006,
You would play an actual B, not where B normally is in standard.

The only time its otherwise is with chords, sometimes they will have two chords, one above another with one in parenthesis, then it shows what you would play in standard and what is actually being sounded.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
1st fret B. I had a grade 5 piece needing drop d and the open E was notated as a D (if that makes any sense..)
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Quote by Pure_Morning
1st fret B. I had a grade 5 piece needing drop d and the open E was notated as a D (if that makes any sense..)

If you did that, what would be the use of tuning down a half step if you could play it as easily as standard?

Quote by horazonblade
You would play an actual B, not where B normally is in standard.

The only time its otherwise is with chords, sometimes they will have two chords, one above another with one in parenthesis, then it shows what you would play in standard and what is actually being sounded.

So basically, you play the notes as if you were in standard tuning, but really aren't?