Alright, so lately I've been writing a lot of beats and I've written one rap (check it out) but I want to give it an acoustic flavor, so I've be using a lot of acoustic guitar. So what chords would be good for a soul/R&B/hip-hop/Latin vibe? Thanks!
I'm sure you are familiar with the acoustic Thugz Mansion by Tupac?

Beyond that, I'm afraid I don't know of much acoustic rap.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I really dont think you're going to get a vibe based on what chords you use. It's very much how you play the guitar and very little what chord you use.

Look at G. That's been used in EVERYTHING.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
first off its not the chords that sounds good with them its the strumming pattern and more timing, you should also check out rehab, i think their a bunch of white boys from the south who rap over acoustics. . .check out drinkin problem and lawnchair high
setup:
Jackson ke-3
Peavey supreme 100

Quote by Archaon
if I ever see a greenday kid throwing up the horns while listening to greenday, I'm going to have to kick his ass. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to throw up the horns, just not to greenday.
I know I have the rythm, I'm actually looking for chords, what chords to guys like Flypside, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, all those guys. Like a Mo-Town sound. I understand its very much in rythm, but you wouldn't use an Eygptian scale for blues [normally], would you?
I'd say rap would sound best over simple figures, i.e. using only two chords for the verse section etc.

What I Got by Sublime is a good example of acoustic hip-hop, it uses only D and C in the verses without actually striking the full chords.
i would go one of two ways. either go with simple open chords or go with chords with cool extensions. one way gives you a plain background to go over, and the other way can give a bit of funk and depth to your rhythm section. either way, i would find a key that fits the mood (ie. start with major or minor) and then find where you find a good root to be. then build a simple progression from there, maybe starting with I IV V (+ extensions if you go that route).
also i think it would sound cool if you could use the acoustic guitar in a percussive manner aswell, i.e using lots of muted strings with random stabs at chords etc

just try and experiment with different things
Yea, it's all how you use an acoustic to corelate with the beat.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Quote by MastaBassist10
I know I have the rythm, I'm actually looking for chords, what chords to guys like Flypside, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, all those guys. Like a Mo-Town sound. I understand its very much in rythm, but you wouldn't use an Eygptian scale for blues [normally], would you?

no, but the same chords are within that Egyptian scale as are in the Ionian/Major. Its just a different tonic.

So for that reason,
"what chords do I use" isn't really a righteous question.
Use I IV V and vi and anything else that fits in pop music. Because it's not about what chords you use. It's about how you play them that seperates the V - I of Sublime from the V - I of Blues.

And What I got is D & G, not D & C.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Blackout826
what i got by everlast is acoustic rap?

What It's Like*. I was going to suggest the same thing, actually. Listen to some Everlast, see what he does with the guitar.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
If you're goin rehab, also check out Sittin at a Bar.
Although I'm not a huge rap fan myself, I still love their stuff.

Definitely worth the time.
try using dominant 7ths and some 9ths
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...