Hey, I'm a big acoustic guy, but i figure its about time to move into electrics. I want to buy an electric guitar and I need some feedback. I play classic blues rock stuff and I want to get an electric in the range of $400-700. I really want something that lasts, and has good versatile sound. I've considered the Strat Highway 1, other strats, or maybe a telecaster. I don't know much about electrics and any feed back would be great, thanks. Rock and Rule!
I'd definately recommend a Fender Strat or Tele for you, try a few out. Look for some used USA ones if you can, and also some Classic MIM ones, and definately Japanese Fenders.

Are you sorted for an amp?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I'm considering getting a cheap practice amp for now, or just practicing off an acoustic amp i've got. Then I'll save up for a decent tube amp. Any suggestions for that?
^Depends on your price range for the amp really.
Don't be afraid to care"

For guitars look into fender Strat. hendrix used one and he got ultimate blues/funk/rock tones. SRV used one, he got amazing blues tones (also because of the amp.) Search and ask around for a used MIA (Made In America) or a new MIM (Made In Mexico). For amps look into a Fender Blues Jr. They get good blues and rock sounds. They are a little expencive but the tone makes up for it. And They are loud enough for a drummer, if you ever get into that.
~Bryan~
~~One Off Custom Strat~~
- 3 piece alder body
- Maple on rosewood 21 fret neck
- '82 Fender pickups

~~'92 Toyota Supra~~

- 1JZ-GTE (TT, front mount intercooler, 15~psi)
- Tuned on 93 octane
- HKS 3" exhaust
go buy yourself a jackson dk-2m. it's a wonderfull guitar belive me. nice trem, awesome pups and it's a jackson. you can go on this baby from sweet country tones to the most extreme shreding possible.
Quote by dropin_biking
For guitars look into fender Strat. hendrix used one and he got ultimate blues/funk/rock tones. SRV used one, he got amazing blues tones (also because of the amp.) Search and ask around for a used MIA (Made In America) or a new MIM (Made In Mexico). For amps look into a Fender Blues Jr. They get good blues and rock sounds. They are a little expencive but the tone makes up for it. And They are loud enough for a drummer, if you ever get into that.
~Bryan~

SRV also got his tone off his high gauge strings and his ibanez ts808 or ts9.

Anyways, get a squire or MIM strat since they are excellent guitars for the price. When you get more advanced, you can upgrade them and they will be as good as any MIA strat.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
^Don't get a Squier.
Don't be afraid to care"

I've played a squire before and the tone is crap. Also, after playing the guitar lightly for a minute, pieces started falling off. I've got issues with those. What else is there besides strats and teles?
Quote by flashbandit
I've played a squire before and the tone is crap. Also, after playing the guitar lightly for a minute, pieces started falling off. I've got issues with those. What else is there besides strats and teles?

That's sad. I have an '83 MIJ Squier Strat that's still pretty bullet-proof and has a better neck than my other Fenders. These were made in the Japanese factories before Japan started producing those awesome Fender Strats in the same factory.

If you're looking for options other than Fenders, try the Gibson SG ... awesome Blues ala Derek Trucks.

If you're coming off of playing only on an acoustic then maybe you'd like a semi-hollow body. Epiphone makes a few nice ones in you price range, Dots and Sheratons and such. All of the Sheratons I've played have been very well built and sound really good too. Otherwise, If you are looking for more a Pumpkins, Foreigner, Weezer type of tone, a Strat may be your guitar,,,,,even though I don't like to advocate Fender anything. If you plan on doing more Zeppelin stuff look at some Les Pauls, or maybe even a Firebird.
What do yall think about a standard telecaster? The're pretty cheap, do they have decent sound and reliability? Are the standards made in mexico (and is that a problem)? Also, How much could I get a decent gibson sg for?
Quote by flashbandit
How much is a good epiphone les paul, and is it worth it?

Mine was about $600,,,,and it was defininently worth it. However, I have heard that some of the models below the Custom can be kind of sketchy, so I'd play on a couple to find one that you feel comfortable with.
Quote by flashbandit
How much is a good epiphone les paul, and is it worth it?

imo the only good ones are the elitist models. all the rest arent that great especially the ones that come in a package